All Topics / Help Needed! / What is a good next step

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of EstherEsther
    Participant
    @morgana

In around 2 years time my husband and I want to move, to live closer to the beach and to downsize.
    Our ppor is valuated at 690.000 Mortgage of 84.000
    IP in Umina beach, worth 650.000. Mortgage of 393.000
    IP in Port Nuarlunga, worth 360.000 Mortgage of 350.000
    In the next months we want to buy an IP north of Brisbane. We have enough savings for a deposit and costs.

We are thinking of moving to Umina beach and rent out our PPOR. But is this tax wise a good idea? Is it maybe better to sell our PPOR and buy another house to live in?

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Be careful how you structure this – especially how you mentioned using savings for an IP deposit. It would be much more prudent on tax and your overall position to use borrowed funds to make any investment purchases, any savings can then instead be used to be put onto your PPOR (or Umina Beach if this is to become your PPOR).

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

We are thinking of moving to Umina beach and rent out our PPOR. But is this tax wise a good idea? Is it maybe better to sell our PPOR and buy another house to live in?

No – not really.

You’ll have a large non deductible debt (Umina) and a small deductible debt against your previous PPOR (now IP).

Might be best to sell the PPOR (CGT free) and then place the funds against Umina (perhaps in an offset just in case you decide to rent this place out later).

In any case – talk with a good accountant about your options.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

No – not really.
    You’ll have a large non deductible debt (Umina) and a small deductible debt against your previous PPOR (now IP).
    Might be best to sell the PPOR (CGT free) and then place the funds against Umina (perhaps in an offset just in case you decide to rent this place out later).
    In any case – talk with a good accountant about your options.
    Cheers
    Jamie

^^^ what he said.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.