All Topics / Help Needed! / Should I buy apartment or house for first IP?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of mddedfmddedf
    Participant
    @mddedf

Like a lot of first time investors, we are confused with many suggestions on our first IP.

We’d love to buy a house but we have heard that it is better to buy an apartment or unit for the first time, because it will somehow influences our borrowing capacity with the second IP in the future.

Is this true? Sorry if this question is too naive.

Thanks for your time.

Profile photo of emma_vicemma_vic
    Participant
    @emma18

Hi, I’m also a newbie so probably best to take my advice with a grain of salt. I haven’t heard that before about buying an apartment or unit first, could they possibly mean that a unit/apartment would likely be cheaper than buying a house so you may have borrowing power remain after the purchase? We bought our PPOR 2.5 years ago and have built solid equity in it for an IP, and have huge borrowing power, so my advice is to consult with a broker or other finance professional rather than rely on the advice you hear.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy an apartment because of the very real risk of oversupply. I’m in Melbourne and we have definitely hit oversupply of apartments in the inner ring. The only way I would consider it would be if it was a larger than the norm apartment in a boutique complex, or it had something special about it. From my office I can see into an apartment building and those shoebox apartments are so depressing. If I was buying a unit/townhouse I would only do so if the property was on it’s own title.

My plan is to buy my first IP this year and it will be a house. My reasons for this include owning land and also that I believe the value of a house in the area I want to buy will rise much faster than a unit would, hopefully allowing me to tap into equity for my next property sooner. Hope this helps!

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi mddedf

Nope it is most certainly NOT true. Never heard of such a thing.

Your borrowing capacity is influenced by your ability to repay debt. This is evaluated by income streams (your salary job, rental income from other properties, likely rent from the new property purchase, etc).

You might compare a unit and a house and the house has a better rental yield, and as such that one would be less of a drag on you moving forward than the unit.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of mddedfmddedf
    Participant
    @mddedf

Thanks so much for both of your replies!

I am in Melbourne too, and much prefer house rather than apartment or unit. But the guy said the banks will not only look at my income (rental & employment), but also look at the ratio of annual rental income and the first investment purchase price.

So in the same area, if i spend less money to purchase a unit, and if the rental income for the house and unit is roughly the same, the ratio for unit is higher, that is what the bank want when it comes to assess the borrowing capacity for the second property.

Do you think this is not true?

Participant
    @jacm

Maybe don’t rule out considering other suburbs/areas where you can afford a whole house.

Banks will look at servicing so the rental yield is indeed important. You cannot make loan repayments on the hope of capital growth, but you can make repayments with your day job income, and the actual rental yield of the property.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

So in the same area, if i spend less money to purchase a unit, and if the rental income for the house and unit is roughly the same, the ratio for unit is higher, that is what the bank want when it comes to assess the borrowing capacity for the second property. Do you think this is not true?

Yes and no. Yes they are interested in yield but they also know units have the burden of body corporate fees that erode your rent. If you look at the NET yield (rent that is left after paying the bills) you will be surprised how much the bills chew into the rent of a unit.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @mddedf

Thanks so much for your clear explanation, Jacqui.

I very much appreciate to get known these information that we didn’t consider.

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hi mddedf,
    I have a feeling the “influence our borrowing capacity” line may have been based on a very broad idea that units have higher yields than houses. Jacqui has pretty much summed it up our banks assess serviceability but it goes quite deep and each lender assesses it in their own ways so trying to calculate it yourself, particularly with an online calculator is all but a useless exercise (see a broker).

With that aside and back to your original question then I would always have my money in houses as opposed to units. Y?
    Well really it is a simple concept, land increases in value, buildings decrease in value. A unit has very little value add outside of doing a renovation on it once it ages. What this means is that the market is going to basically dictate its value. If the market increases then so will your unit, if the market stays neutral or goes backwards then so will your unit.
    If you are a passive investor and your strategy is long term hold then maybe this is not a big deal because ultimately over time as property has proven then eventually the market will tip in your favour, but how long will that be? And do you want to sit by and have your money tied into a property doing nothing for 10 years? You will stump yourself by not being able to draw on equity.

Let’s flip this around though and look at a house. With a house you have multiple strategies to increase your capital growth or income. For manufactured growth you can do a bigger renovation (you will almost always have far greater scope to value add given you also have landscaping). You can choose to subdivide and sell of the back lot or develop the site and add another 1-2 or even 3 properties.
    If cashflow is your game then with a house you can start to get creative, put a granny flat on the back, buy a house with 4 rooms and rent it as student accommodation, the list goes on.

Now ofcourse houses are more expensive and likely not as easy to rent out as shiny new unit but the multiple upsides I have listed above I believe far outweigh these small benefits with a unit.
    Keep in mind you do not necessarily have to buy in the same suburb. If you are looking at units in Brunswick for say 450k then consider buying a house in Reservoir where you will get something on a bigger block.

Good Luck!

Participant
    @mddedf

Thanks so much for your reply, Ben.

I am so new so I don’t even know if I am a passive investor. I just like to buy and hold it but I don’t like to sell it in the future, I don’t know if this is right thing to do although I just feel to do so. I do prefer to buy a house in a further suburb than a Unit closer to the city. But there are so many things that we aren’t familiar about investing, so when I heard sth. that I have never heard, I just begin to get confused.

So lucky to be part of this forum, thanks for all your help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.