All Topics / Finance / Go non conforming or wait it out with a bigger deposit?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of ChrisChris
    Participant
    @zaychri

OK, ill cut a long story short…

I became a discharged bankrupt in April this year. During my bankruptcy, I made large contributions to repay my creditors, and I’m currently in arrangement with AFSA (Government body who looks after bankruptcy) to repay my total debts to creditors in full. When I went into bankruptcy I was drowning in debt but managed to gain a good paying job unfortunately 8 or 9 months after I declared it.

During that time I also managed to also save $40k. Now, I always knew it was a long shot, but, I spoke to a mortgage broker who told me I am able to get a home loan pre approval based on my deposit at an interest rate of 8.3%. Extremely high I know, but I saw this coming and was expecting this.

Now they said that I could refinance in 1 to 2 years time if I kept it all in order. A loan of 300k would work out to be about $440 a week which is quite high but would enable me to step back into the property market which I am an avid spectator of.

I am wanting to step back in as to not lose ground in the property market and also bank on some capital gain in the long term.

Or I could just not bother and wait it out until I am further out of my discharge and become less or a perceived risk to the banks and get better interest rates.

I am looking at an investment property not owner occupier.

Basically, I want to know, is it worth the pain of a higher interest rate or just wait and keep saving a deposit.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Profile photo of CattleyaCattleya
    Participant
    @cattleya

Hi Chris,

Interesting question you have there. Ultimately, the only person who can decide is yourself. Seems like your risk appetite is bigger than mine. I personally wouldn’t do it as my stress level threshold is quite low, I cannot bear the thought of a demand for payment letter coming through my door. I keep a close eye on my debts, making sure that after servicing them there is still enough money to live.

But, if I am in your situation, these are what I would be considering:
    1. Legal requirements. Whilst I am in my discharge period, would the creditors be entitled to take all or part of my investment to pay off my existing debts.
    2. The rent income of the IP must be at least break even or positively geared and tenancy is secured / easy to find. At this stage, cash flow is more important than capital gain because without good cash flow I may have to sell up before time and forfeit the capital gain. So I will only buy if it definitely can look after it self.
    3. Good investment opportunity will always be there. It’s not like if I don’t buy now there is not going to be buyers market anymore or people stop selling properties.

Just my 2 cents.

All the best.
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Profile photo of ChrisChris
    Participant
    @zaychri

Hi Cattleya,

Thanks for your mature and no nonsense advice. I am turned off by the higher interest rate which is to be expected, however I worked out that it would cost me about $150 per week out of pocket after the rent is paid. I would look at refinancing in about a year or so hopefully. The only issue of course is if there isn’t a tenant renting. I am looking to buy an apartment in a capital city so I don’t think finding someone to rent will be an issue.

It’s a shame because I was earning good money during my bankruptcy, and it was painful to see good opportunities go by but at that time I had my hands tied.

Is this a risky proposition? Buy a place, refinance in a year? It just seems properties closer to the city are getting more and more out of reach..

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Chris Chris. Reason: More info
    Profile photo of CattleyaCattleya
    Participant
    @cattleya

Hi Chris,

I understand your eagerness to start again. Everybody who has played snake & ladder board game knows how strong the desire to get on to a ladder when we are dealt a major snake. But by the same token, it is even more important to avoid another snake.

Putting my self in your position, these are the things I would consider:
    1. There are factors beyond my controls that can make or brake an opportunities. Given my current financial position, financial help will be very difficult and expensive. Therefore a careful / conservative thinking is needed. For example, does that $150 weekly out of pocket include:
    – strata fees,
    – emergency maintenance (boiler break down, etc),
    – council rates,
    – insurance,
    – Sydney Water,
    – 1 month interest payment without rental income (this is because, if current tenant moves out it takes at least 3 weeks to find another one and the admin involved. Which means there is 75% possibility I need to pay mortgage instalment without the support of rental income).

2. Refinance does not solve the high interest rate and it comes with more fees. I can only get low interest rate if my finances get better. And in 1 years time my bankruptcy records will still be there, in fact it is still on my records years later. Refinancing is going to worsen my situation because of the fees involved.

3. It is also a good idea to hold my horses now, get better financially and wait for a better opportunity. The experts say that the economy is not doing well, and indeed the $ is depreciating against major currencies. If they are right, it might be better to sit this one out, wait for the tide to go as low as I think it would go, and then seize the opportunity.

4. I will use a reputable bank, and not just some small desperate bank somewhere. Reputable banks are legally required to have clear process and procedures to make sure they are doing the right thing by their customers. So if these banks won’t lend me, there is a good chance they are right, I cannot afford the loan. Meaning, I will use these banks as independent counsels on my finances until my finances are back in shape.

That’s me in your shoes. Obviously, only you can decide whether it is worth investing.

Chris, one more thing, the Banks are not allowed to give loans to people who they think cannot afford the loan. Exactly the same way pubs are supposed to turn away intoxicated customers. But then, there are rogue banks who are willing to take on risky loans and hence the high interest rate. Just for comparison, I know somebody whose mortgage is 4.28%… which shows how risky they think you are at 8.3%.

Hope this helps,
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

8.3% is super high, and would be higher if rates went up on you.

If it were me I’d save a little bit longer till you have what you need to go to a conforming lender. You’ve just pulled yourself out of one hole… don’t deliberately jump into another hole that it would be difficult or impossible to climb out of.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @zaychri

Thank all for your replies.. Maybe I got lucky, but in 2006 I bought a run down duplex in the Gold Coast for $245k. I did a good but cheap reno (Im a tradesman) on it and I sold it a year later for $326k. I thought I did well.

It just makes me eager to get back into the property market and possibly replicate this, although this time around Id just hold onto it and fix it up and rent it out and build up a property portfolio.

I did speak to CBA and they wont look at me until the bankruptcy drops off my credit file.. Which is another 2 years in this case.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Chris Chris.
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Chris

Don’t try going direct to banks yourself. If each one hits your credit file during the conversation it’ll be ravaged. Use a good mortgage broker as they’ll know already which banks will and will not deal with you.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @zaychri

Hi Jacqui,

I only called CBA as they have all my accounts and was interested in what their credit policy was. In any event it will be two years until I can get credit with a normal institution. I just hope property prices in Brisbane don’t go up anytime soon!!

Participant
    @jacm

$40k won’t be quite enough to do much, however we have some lender options we could look at for you without having to wait the full 2 years. Perhaps wait till you’ve got $50k saved and feel free to give me a shout to kick off the conversation :)

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.