All Topics / Help Needed! / Can i use housemates to improvement serviceability and borrowing power?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Walking to run
    Participant
    @alisdair-horgen

Hello everyone, it has been a while since Ive been on here, I always love the helpful advice I get, and sharing ideas is great. So, back to the time to buy PPOR dilemma and how to handle it. This one is probably best for the brokers.

So, we all know its better to rent than own generally, in that it affects our borrowing power, but what if i had a three bedroom home, rented two rooms out and lived in one, whereby i reduced the share of my payments to $500 a month. This is much better than the rent i was paying. How would this pan out? Due to my lost cost of my share and higher income from the housemates, would this make my loan therefore more serviceable and thereby increase my borrowing power? Or would it not count in the same way due to the income being from housemates? What things do i need to consider? Would they need to be run by a property manager. Any tips for how to do this best?

Id really like any help I can get on my idea.

Thanks.
    WTR

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi WTR

Nice idea but hate to say No lender will take board income into consideration when assessing serviceability.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.