All Topics / Help Needed! / starting my portfolio on 180k

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of trinatrina
    Participant
    @trinbean07

Hi . I’m a mum to three and am leaping into my dream of creating a property portfolio. Im doing loads of reading and attending seminars etc. I am a weekoff prpre approval of roughly $180k. But I have no idea where to buy!Any hot tips? Regional house or studio city apapartment?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of trina trina.
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Trina

Great job being able to fund deposit etc on a property in this day an age. It is a tough gig. Even tougher with a family to support.

I’d tread with extreme caution in the studio city apartment category. I don’t know which city you are referring to, however a lot of these types of apartments are leased to students or serviced apartment providers such as Quest. Steer a million percent clear of serviced apartment mobs. Searching these forums for “serviced apartment” will soon educate you as to why.

If you are able to indicate which cities and regionals you were referring to, the folks on these forums might be able to offer more specific thoughts on your situation :)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of trinatrina
    Participant
    @trinbean07

Thanks jacqui.
    I can afford a 1 bd 1 bth 1car in gold coast.
    I have also been looking at Albury.
    I’ve been reading a lot of Cam Mclellan. whilst a lot of readings state ‘just start’ im wondering if I should save more first so I can buy something more as my first. My intention is to buy-hold-renovate-hold and have a nicer retirement then I would doing just super.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

How much do you have saved so far, and how much more do you suppose you can save during the next 6mths?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @trinbean07

Thanks for the follow up jacqui. I have about 23. In the next 6 months I can work really hard to get $10k

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Trina

Are you sure $180K is the maximum amount you can borrow.

Why not shoot Jacqui an email and see what your options are.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

Hi Trina,

In NSW, I am currently looking at Moree as a place for positive cashflow property. I might suggest you take an initial look there for the $180k price point you’re after.

I’ve also got a property in Tamworth, and would recommend it as somewhere to potentially look. These are both in NSW, however I also think the Logan area in Queensland has got potential, and somewhere you might find some positive cashflow properties, although Logan is becoming closer to neutrally geared.

Happy to help if you have any questions let me know. Although I starting investing with capital gained in mind, my new strategy will be to focus only on positive cashflow investments, so I can assist there if needed.

Best regards,
    Ajay

Profile photo of ajayayyarajayayyar
    Participant
    @ajayayyar

One other quick point Trina – I would be mindful of investing in a studio apartment as it may limit the buyer market.. I think at least one bedroom in a good location would have more potential. With $180k, I would be more prone to looking at a house in a solid regional area.

Profile photo of jablesjables
    Participant
    @jables

Hi Trina i am in a similar spot to you, and would like to hear how you go with everything.
    I’m in the process of starting to invest with a friend and we are looking for places that are under 250k.
    We are looking in regional areas that have shown good growth and are set to keep growing.
    we are starting our journey looking for houses around the latrobe valley and south gippsland.

To us we like latrobe valley because they’re is good infrastructure for public transport, and all of the bigger towns have good schooling and hospitals. To us these are very important things for people who live in regional areas.

Good luck with your journey

Participant
    @trinbean07

Thanks for the tips. Good luck on your journey. Keep me posted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.