All Topics / General Property / Interstate Investing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of simpantelisimpanteli
    Participant
    @simpanteli

Hi everyone I have a few questions about investing interstate.

Im from sydney and am looking to buy my second property interstate as i feel sydney is about to slow down. Im looking at perth victoria and qld.
    What agencies or property management companies are people using to manage their IP interstate?
    What are some things to look out for when buying interstate?
    Is it a must to travel and see the area?
    Has anyone ever developed in another state whilst not being able to liase with everyone in person or inspect?

Any help, info would be great! Thanks in advance.

simpanteli
    Email Me

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

Hi simpanteli

Is it a must to travel and see the area?
    Has anyone ever developed in another state whilst not being able to liase with everyone in person or inspect?

If you are using a buyer agent you might get away with not inspecting the property/area and the rely on the photos/videos the BA might supply to you. I wouldn’t fully rely on the BA word without seeing photos/videos.

However if you don’t use a BA then I would recommend to inspect the property and area in person or at least pay someone to take photos/videos of the property/area for you.

Cheers
    Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

If you have never been to an area it is handy to be on the ground and get a first hand experience for the feel of the area.

But in saying that I have made offers on properties in areas I have never been to – new-ish builds or old places that were going to be demo’d eventually so that cut out some of the potential risk of buying sight unseen.

A lot, if not all, of the DD can be done from afar as at the end of the day it’s a business decision and if it works on paper that’s the main thing.

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of JaxonJaxon
    Participant
    @jaxona

simpanteli

I have heard very similar feelings about the Sydney market, I was there two weeks ago to meet with my accountant and he has same feeling.

I live in the gold coast and am happy to give information about the market here as I study it frequently and currently have a property here as well as have worked for a real estate firm locally.

In my honest opinion though I think sticking to what you know and understand gives you a more well rounded view I think there are a lot of places closer to Sydney where the market is not as inflated (for lack of a better word).

Kind regards

Jaxon Avery

Jaxon | Jaxon Avery – Financial Adviser
    http://www.jpafinancialservices.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

JPA Financial Services Pty Ltd

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

1 property managers vary greatly, I always advocate using local (to the property) but do thorough interviewing to ensure they are ok

2 lots – all the same due diligence is required as if it were local, perhaps a little more as you don’t have local knowledge. Do your numbers, understand the markets before committing,

3 personally I Always travel and still do regularly. Some folk buy sight unseen in areas they have never been I think it’s too risky.

4 yes, I have done small subdiv type interstate. I used a surveyor who Essentially project managed most of it for me. I paid a margin for it but still got it done. Next time I might try myself

Hi everyone I have a few questions about investing interstate.

Im from sydney and am looking to buy my second property interstate as i feel sydney is about to slow down. Im looking at perth victoria and qld.
    1 What agencies or property management companies are people using to manage their IP interstate?
    2 What are some things to look out for when buying interstate?
    3 Is it a must to travel and see the area?
    4 Has anyone ever developed in another state whilst not being able to liase with everyone in person or inspect?

Any help, info would be great! Thanks in advance.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Jerry ParkerJerry Parker
    Participant
    @jerryparker

Simpanteli,

Chase major infrastructure growth both private and public.

Some examples and the large medical precinct on the Sunshine Coast, Airport and business in Toowoomba, Coal Seam Gas in Toowoomba, Highway upgrades South of Brisbane, Australia largest town centre in Springfield.

<Moderator – delete advertising>

Profile photo of Mark Mendel (iBuyNew)Mark Mendel (iBuyNew)
    Participant
    @markmendel-ibuynew

Hi simpanteli,

You are quite right in thinking that about the Sydney property market. At the moment property prices are quite inflated due to Sydney being at the peak of the property clock so it is hard to find an affordable property that will provide high growth and high rental returns.

it is also important to do your own research as well, and it is not a necessity to go visit the area if your goal is solely to use this property as an investment. As long as the location is right (e.g. close to public transport, amenities, schools etc) and you have done your research then you are on to a winner. Also, Google maps and Google Earth makes it easy to get a general feel of the area, whilst you can also view what the property is like through images and floor plans.

Mark Mendel (iBuyNew) | iBuyNew
    https://www.ibuynew.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your partner in off the plan property

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Mark

Great first post.

We are Buyers Agents based in Brisbane for the last 18 years and both myself and my fellow Director have multi million dollar properties throughout the City.

We have dozens of forum clients we act for but don’t recommend new properties.

Can you tell me and the forum why OTP in Brisbane would be the way to go ?

Also can you tell us how you get paid ? We are transparant and tell our clients how and what we charge them.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @markmendel-ibuynew

Hi Richard,

Buying properties Off the Plan has many advantages compared to buying established properties. Some of the main advantages include higher tax deductions and depreciation savings, reduced maintenance costs, higher rents due to many tenants preferring new property; long construction time allows for capital gains to occur whilst you are not paying a mortgage as well as these properties generally being well designed for today’s client and can be more energy efficient.

While these are advantages to the clients we deal with, OTP isn’t for everyone.

As I mentioned earlier, buying Off the Plan in Brisbane is a smart move right now due to Brisbane being in the upswing.

Myself, along with my staff have purchased OTP apartments in Brisbane, so our recommendation is backed by our personal commitment.

In regards to our fees we do get paid as a company by the developer, but our consultants get a flat fee to service the client and are not driven by commission incentives, but rather by happy clients that refer them more business.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Mark

Sorry that is not quite true.

There is very little difference in depreciation and capital allowance claims between buying a new property and one that is a year old.

In regards to you and your firms personal commitment do you want to give the forum members a quick snap shot of the properties you have personally purchased and own. Mine are clearly pointed out in the API articles I do regularly.

What capital gains have you observed on OTP properties during construction phase as I must say both my research and that done by Herron Todd White seems to indicate that is incorrect. In fact most valuations we get back are under valued on OTP properties.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jerry ParkerJerry Parker
    Participant
    @jerryparker

RE OTP

I have had great success in purchasing OTP in the past.
    There is a way to do it that will virtually guarantee capital gains.

Heron Todd White does look at the after the fact data. But this analytical data centric approach cannot be compared to the skill of a professional practitioner of real estate who understands property and its value to different purchasers Just buying into the market you get a permutation off the average return, but with the right strategy and approach super profits can be made.

Beginners get too confused. They need the experienced practitioner to guide them.

The right strategy includes understanding of key aspects of the local area of a new development.

Part of is understanding why the developer risked his capital in the first place.
    Part of it is knowing how to take the right action and when to take it.

There are negotiation skills, and timing skills.

But approaching OTP properly, you can achieve a higher return than the developer on your investment.

“Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing” -Warren Buffet

Participant
    @markmendel-ibuynew

Hi Richard,

There is actually a huge difference between buying a property that is OTP and one that is completed.

If you buy OTP, you are not required to service a loan for 12-24 months. If you buy a property that is completed you need to service the loan straight away.

If you buy OTP, you can take advantage of Government Grants around the country, if you buy a property that is completed you can’t.

If you buy OTP in Victoria, you pay very little stamp duty, if you buy once completed you pay Australia’s highest rate of Stamp Duty.

If you buy OTP, you can select the best apartment in the building, if you buy once completed the chances are you won’t get the best selection to choose from, or any choice for that matter.

I could continue to go on but I think you acknowledge that there is a big difference between OTP and already built.

I’m not arguing against your point that buying completed stock is not a suitable option; I’m just saying every client is different with different strategies and different requirements.

As for my personal holdings, that’s a private matter surely? But yes they are made up of properties that were purchased OTP and completed.

With regard to your last sentence I hope you are not indicating I’m a liar… but just to prove my point. A selection of our clients wins in the last 18 months:

St Marys – Purchase Price: $315,000 Settlement Valuation by Bank $410,000
    Arncliffe – Purchase Price: $560,000 Settlement Valuation by Bank $640,000
    Homebush West – Purchase Price: $420,000 Signed contract to sell on settlement: $550,000
    Liverpool – Purchase Price: $340,000. New project next door selling From $450,000
    Harris Park – Purchase Price $480,000. Identical unit below sold at $550,000 at completion

I could go on…

I’m not saying every OTP property is good and I’m not saying it would suit everyone but surely my point is made and you can acknowledge that there is room for an OTP strategy in the market.

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.