All Topics / Help Needed! / First investment

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of tjay7tjay7
    Participant
    @tjay7

Hi all, This is my first time here and looking forward to learning more about property. I have been saving for my first investment property over the past 12 months and currently have 19000 in the bank of genuine savings. It will be my first property as I am still living at home with my parents. I approached a mortgage broker last week to secure a pre approval for about $250000. The stamp duty has hit me a little harder than expected and have been advised to either get a guarantor (which is not an option) or to save another $4000. My question is, are there any lenders who add the stamp duty to the loan, so this isnt taken away from my deposit or are there other ways around this? Appreciate all who read and comment in advance

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Tjay

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

No hate to say there is no lender that adds the stamp duty to the loan however thee maybe a couple of alternative options.

Course without more information it is hard to provide a more structured response.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

Hi TJay,

First up congrats on getting prepared to take action! Many folk never even get to that stage.

Have you got a fixed idea of what you want to purchase? Or where? And more importantly what your long and short term goals are in property? These things will all impact upon what to buy for that first property. The best way to to start with your long term goal, work backwards from there with decisions that are likely to get you to that place.

Im not a broker but 95% loans exist but are rare these days and the extra LMI eats in so the sweet spot seems to be 88-90%.

If you are really close to the amount you need for that first and worried the market will run away from you you can get cheeky and use a personal loan or credit card to cover the last minute costs (I did for my first one many moons ago) the extra couple of $k came in handy (plus allowed me to do an immediate minor cosmetic reno which added value and increased my rent) these were paid off in the 3 months after settlement. Make sure your IP loan approvals are formally in place before your take on any high interest debt as these would impact serviceability, and make sure you aren’t over extending yourself. If you have a good salary and live in the lap of luxury for next to nix and mum and dads then you can probably tighten your belt and make some extra repayments for a little while to get it done.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Hey Tjay,

Welcome to the forum!
    Like what Richard said, unfortunately, there is no lender that capitalizes the stamp duty cost into the loan.
    Based on the limited information you have provided, your broker is setting you up for a 97% loan. This is due to the limited cash you have at the moment. Here is what I think is the breakdown of your scenario:

Purchase Price = $250,000

LMI = $6,700 (capped)

Deposit = $12,500 (5%)
    Acquisition Costs = $11,000
    Cash / Savings = $19,000
    Shortfall = -$4,500

Hence your broker is asking you to come up with another $4k. How soon can you save up for another $4-5k? There are certainly some unconventional ways to do this. One is the way knightm did during his early investing days, the credit card option. Not really advisable but if this is the only way for you to get into the property market, and the returns outweights the potential loss in a short amount of time then you can consider these options. I would be very careful though with the property to buy and ensure thorough due diligence is done.

Cheers!

PHP | Mortgage Station Pty Ltd
    http://www.mortgagestation.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Give us a call or send us an email for a free residex report.

Participant
    @knightm

…How soon can you save up for another $4-5k? There are certainly some unconventional ways to do this. One is the way knightm did during his early investing days, the credit card option. Not really advisable but if this is the only way for you to get into the property market, and the returns outweights the potential loss in a short amount of time then you can consider these options. I would be very careful though with the property to buy and ensure thorough due diligence is done.

Yep as per above its not normal or advisable but just an example of how I did it when I was particularly impatient.

The other ways include overtime, family loans/gifts, other 2nd job like night fill at the local supermarket, ask the boss for an advance (if they like you) lemonade stalls (or any other small cashflow business). The list goes on – where there is a will there is a way. Or just wait a bit longer that works too (eventually)

Of course another option is to buy a cheaper property for the first one. Reducing the purchase price reduces the deposit and stamp duty required.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of BuyersAgent BuyersAgent.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of tjay7tjay7
    Participant
    @tjay7

All,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I think I will take the option of being patient and save the extra 4-5k like everyone has advised. Unfortunately salary offers as much overtime as you like for a $0 return. There are two options I am looking at, and they are quite far apart. I’m looking at buying a 1bed/1bath/car unit in fortitude valley. Or a 3bed/1bath house in the ipswich area, most likely Bundamba. The longterm goal is to have positively geared rental portfolio, also buy, renovate, sell a little further down the track.

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Yep as per above its not normal or advisable but just an example of how I did it when I was particularly impatient.

But by doing this way, this has helped you get where you are now, right?. So it end up to be a very good decision at the time for you.

All,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I think I will take the option of being patient and save the extra 4-5k like everyone has advised. Unfortunately salary offers as much overtime as you like for a $0 return. There are two options I am looking at, and they are quite far apart. I’m looking at buying a 1bed/1bath/car unit in fortitude valley. Or a 3bed/1bath house in the ipswich area, most likely Bundamba. The longterm goal is to have positively geared rental portfolio, also buy, renovate, sell a little further down the track.

Tjay,

Just be very mindful of the time. That is why I asked how quickly can you save up for the $4-5k shortfall? IF it will take you a while to save this up, the market that you are eyeing on could move as well and will end up asking you to save up an additional $2-3k again. Have you considered moving to the next suburb of your current target area and maybe the same properties can be purchased at a reduced price? If you wait until you have saved $25k to buy a $250k property, when the time comes you might not be able to see anymore properties around the $250k mark and will need you to save up to $30 instead to get in.

As what most investors say “Its about time in the market and not timing the market.”

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @tjay7

PHP,
    I recently took a pay cut due to a change in career direction which will pay off in the long run. I was luck enough to save the 19k while in the better paying job however i am currently saving 1000 per month in the new, lesser paying job. With waiting 4-5 months I do not think the market will change that drastically, however I could be wrong. I will go back to the drawing board and weigh up my options.
    Thats an interesting quote.

Thanks

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Cool!
    Atleast you know where you stand at the moment. And with the right structure, strategy and advices you will be on your way to achieving your goal sooner. Just don’t stop educating yourself. :D

Cheers!

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @knightm

But by doing this way, this has helped you get where you are now, right?. So it end up to be a very good decision at the time for you.

As what most investors say “Its about time in the market and not timing the market.”

Some great points in your post.

1 – Yep it got me where I am. Property was cheap but with reno it doubled in a very short space of time in the last Brisbane cycle (03-04). The equity growth put me into two more properties within a year. FAR more powerful and speedy than saving in my case, but cant say that is typical, hence my caution with any advice.

2 – I believe its about “time in” AND “timing.” Getting timing wrong can mean years of zero capital gains even if everything else is done ok. Huge opportunity cost. Getting cycle timing right speeds up a plan to access equity for multiple purchases and as such is very important.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of BuyersAgent BuyersAgent.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

2 – I believe its about “time in” AND “timing.” Getting timing wrong can mean years of zero capital gains even if everything else is done ok. Huge opportunity cost. Getting cycle timing right speeds up a plan to access equity for multiple purchases and as such is very important.

I agree completely! This is totally right! :)

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of RichardRichard
    Participant
    @richardppiadvice-com-au

I think if you have the capacity to invest, you should be investing, rather than waiting for the most opportune time to buy.

Perhaps ensuring there is a value add option to exploit in your asset when the market rewards ‘value add’ is a strategic solution. Achieving the ‘time in’ requirement, but also taking advantage of the ‘timing’ opportunity in the market when it presents.

Investing also has to be within your tolerance to risk. In this case Tjay would prefer to use savings and afford the potential opportunity cost, rather than add the inherent risk of using a credit card to bridge his capital gap. Much prefer to see him set his own expectations, than add external ones this early in his investing career.

I’m not suggesting risk doesn’t reward, but managing and meeting expectations is critical for a rewarding investment experience. Especially this early in the game!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Richard Richard.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Richard Richard.

Richard | PPI Investment Advice
    http://ppiinvestmentadvice.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Licensed Property Financial Advisors providing tailored property advice and solutions!

Participant
    @tjay7

Im glad members have put other options forward and shared their own experience. Before posting in the forum, I would never have thought to use a credit card to bridge my current gap. It may certainly be the option I take if the right property comes up.

Thanks All

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

“If you don’t ask, the answer will always be no.”

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.