All Topics / General Property / Advice on buying a block of units?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of tjltjl
    Participant
    @tjl-property

Hi all, I am investigating purchasing a block of units in regional NSW.
    The block is on 1 title and has 8 units in total.
    I am seeking advice on:
    1. what is involved to turn into a strata title per unit and/or determining if best to leave as is
    2. any tips / pointers on determining to purchase

Any help is appreciated please, I acknowledge this is my first investigation into this strategy and it feels a bit daunting!

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

In terms of strata titling the titles office are the ones signing off on that and the type of construction is vital to the success or failure of the strata separation proceeding. Fire separation is vital so all brick is best, otherwise expensive fire rating of all party walls is required. Also if facilities in each unit are not adequate to strata then you could hit hurdles. If this is your first one you could consider a JV partner if you know people who have done this. If you want to go it alone do your research first so you don’t get stuck with the wrong block.

Are you strata titling to sell? If so the market you are buying in a also critical as some regional NSW markets are good for selling into, and others are terrible right now.

To make the strata and sell strategy work you need to get the block at a good discount than each would sell for individually, also allow for costs, and renovations that may be required. You need a solid profit margin to make it worthwhile.

If you just want to hold the units for cash flow it may be cheaper ie rates etc to leave them as is.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Is the intention to generate an increase in total asset value from titling each unit? Determine how much it costs to achieve, any increase in ongoing costs and whether this justifies the increase.

I’ve had some clients achieve fantastic results in metro areas doing this, achieving 80-100% increases in value, but these were purchased well before the popularity of unit blocks set in, so didn’t get slugged with the premiums which can be found on many blocks today.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of tjltjl
    Participant
    @tjl-property

Thank you for the responses so far.
    The primary intent is to buy and hold, to have a good positive cash-flow for the long-term.
    Leaving as is will achieve reasonable returns. There is the potential to strata, which could lead to the opportunity of unselling some of the units to pay off the remainder and therefore maximise the long-term return.
    Given the comments so far, strata’ing could be a costly exercise and some serious number crunching is required to determine if feasible, something to look into further down the track rather than now I think!?

I would be happy with the investment as is, i.e.: without strata’ing.
    In any case, the bank have indicated [being verified] that this type of investment is likely to be a business loan. I currently have personal loans only and no business or trust structure in place. Does anyone have any recommendations on what way to structure for the finance and / or advice on leaving un-strata’d please?

Regards,
    Terry.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Generally above 4 units on one title lenders it enters into commercial lending. There are some niche options out there however.

Have a chat with a commercial savvy broker if you haven’t already, who will be able to run you through your options across *multiple* lenders than just what any one lenders multi-units policy.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

If you are planning to hold, look very carefully at the holding costs. You will likely find that both the council and water company will issue a separate set of rates per unit even though they are not on their own titles. This adds up very quickly and chews into your return. Also look very carefully into insurance. There are not heaps of insurers that will offer insurance on blocks of units (GIO is one insurer that still insurers them so you could scope them out for a quote). Also if they are not all under the one roofline, that hikes the insurance bill even more.

Also be aware that if a tenant damages something in the common areas (eg fence) it is very hard to prove which tenant was to blame, so that’s always a repair cost you’ll never be able to take out of the bond of a tenant.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.