All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Refinancing an investment loan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of swidgeswidge
    Participant
    @swidge

I buy an investment property(IP1) today and borrow 80% LVR to purchase it, 6-8 months later(or maybe even 1-2 years later – time really does not have any bearing here) I decide to refinance the loan to 90% LVR – (with the same bank) – but use the extra 10% as deposit for a subsequent investment property(IP2). Refinance in this case as it is for 90% will incur a lender’s mortgage insurance cost. Does the ATO allow the LMI to be deducted as a borrowing expense(remember the LMI is against IP1)? I understand that the interest payments on the 10% extracted from the refinance will be tax deductible since it will be used for an investment, but not sure where the LMI fee will sit in this case? as it is a genuine expense of borrowing the additional 10% to fund an investment?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yep, the LMI should be deductible.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of swidgeswidge
    Participant
    @swidge

Thanks Jamie. Appreciated. So does that mean if I refinanced 3 years after the purchase of IP1, the LMI deductions will kick in from Year 3 on my IP1 tax return and amortized over 5 years from that date?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

That I can’t answer. Best to speak with an accountant.

I assume you’d be able to claim it over 5 years – but I’m not an accountant.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.