All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in studio/1BR apartments? Also investing in retirement community cent?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

Hey Everyone

I have a few questions about investing in studio/1BR apartments and retirement community centers? Any feed back is much appreciated.

Ill start with the studio apartments first.

1. I have been looking on the net and see plenty of 1BR apartments that have rental yields of 10% and sometimes more. Is there any other hidden costs involved in renting out a property like this besides the usual, interest on loan, rates, body corporate fees, insurance?

2. Why are people not snapping these low cost (150-160k) deals up?

3. Are there any other traps involved?

Now the retirement community center option.

I found a potential investment on the internet for about 150k. its a 2BR 2 Bathroom unit in a retirement community center that rents for 400 p/w.

1. Are there any unusual conditions involved in owning IP’s like these?

Thank you to all the people that leave feedback on this forum. The information you leave is priceless not only for the person asking the questions but everyone else reading….

Cheers

Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

It can be difficult to get finance on studio apartments if they are less than 50m2 – the LVR would need to be lower so you would need to put it more cash upfront.

The rental yields of 10% may seem attractive on paper but usually the body corp eats into it too much to make it a viable investment. Have you called around to any of these places to see what the body corp fees are?

Are you limited in who you can rent to? Ie student accom or holiday let?

Capital growth would be very limited (esp for the retirement unit) as you have a very limited pool of buyers but also you can face the supply vs demand issues in buildings which will keep a cap on CG but also rent.

You may be faced with long vacancy too (why should someone rent your property as opposed to the other 12 units for rent in the building?). If you’re mainly renting to students (who are the ones typically drawn to studios) then you will more than likely have a couple of months vacancy over the christmas period.

In answer to question 2 – there’s better deals out there. Is it mainly the yields drawing you to these types of places? You can get a house with a decent amount of land for the same price and yields in some areas which offer better investment prospects ie cosmetic reno to manufacture CG or subdivision potential.

Anyway, these are just some of the things I thought of – hope it helps.

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

Kinetic

Thanks for the advice. just doing my homework on all available options out there.

Cheers

Profile photo of IsabelIsabel
    Participant
    @isabel26

Hi

I am by no means experienced but I can at least pass on what I have learnt from buying my first property investment in a 1 bedroom apartment. I had trouble securing finance and had to come up with the difference the bank wouldn’t loan. It is in a prime location BUT I have had huge trouble getting it tenanted this is because I’m competing against all the other apartments in the block. You need to have something different and desirable in your apartment or else you will be competing with other owners this has pushed the rent right down.
    If I knew what I did not then I think I would have invested a lot differently. I’m thinking of creative solutions to change the situation or possibly sell. Good luck :)

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

What you will find is that there is a massive number of small apartments coming out of the ground in most of our major cities.
    I am sure you will find plenty of groups will to sell them to you.

The reason

They cannot sell them so they offer marketing groups large commissions.

Do not touch anything under 50 square meters and I would also suggest to stay away from the CBDs in Australia. If we take Melbourne as an example I believe that we will see the property values in the CBD fall and that means many may be hard to settle.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Nigel Kibel Nigel Kibel.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of AJCAJC
    Participant
    @quokka37

Isabel and Nigel

Thanks for posting. i think i am going to steer clear of this option.

Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

Wise decision ;)

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Great advice above- just to add.
    Be careful that these studios are not serviced apartments. They look very attractive but ongoing costs are very high.

When looking at buying in inner Sydney in 2008 we looked at many studios and apartments. Yes those serviced ones sure did look great and sounded SO cheap. But I’m glad we steered clear of them. We bought a TINY 1 bewdroom instead for the same money. It has gone up in value by 60% since then. The others have gone up considerably less in that time.
    Also there are often so many of them that demand is never higher than supply, thus keeping prices down.

As with anything- if it looks great and you find yourself saying 2. Why are people not snapping these low cost (150-160k) deals up?

Then there is more to the picture. Good on you for doing your homework.

Keep looking. The right property is out there for you.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Catalyst Catalyst.
    Profile photo of DaOneDaOne
    Participant
    @daone

Hi

I am by no means experienced but I can at least pass on what I have learnt from buying my first property investment in a 1 bedroom apartment. I had trouble securing finance and had to come up with the difference the bank wouldn’t loan. It is in a prime location BUT I have had huge trouble getting it tenanted this is because I’m competing against all the other apartments in the block. You need to have something different and desirable in your apartment or else you will be competing with other owners this has pushed the rent right down.
    If I knew what I did not then I think I would have invested a lot differently. I’m thinking of creative solutions to change the situation or possibly sell. Good luck :)

Hi Isabel

I am looking signing up for 1BR + study apartment in Nth Caulifield, what do you think based on your experience.

DaOne | Oras Finance - Your Local Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ihomeloans.net.au/
    Email Me

Help you make your dreams come true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3KpKX4UsI

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.