All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Investing and helping a humble student.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of RH84RH84
    Participant
    @rh84

Hi Property Investing community,

This is my first post on the forums and like the title says, im just a humble student seeking to educate myself in the property investing world. I have had a interest in property investing for quite some time but have only recently started to seriously get into it. Like many people my goals for investing are to generate passive income, retire and become financially free. Im aiming to own 10 or more properties within the next 10 years (before I hit 40) and hoping to be able to retire from the day job and possibly become a property investor full time.

Im keen to learn as much as I can before jumping in so I can make informed decisions before making investment purchases, so any info on which recommended books, resources or even courses (if they exist) would be greatly appreciated. Im also aware that its important to start forming a solid property portfolio team consisting of accountants, financial advisers, mortgage brokers, lawyers etc correct? How about property buying agents? what are your thoughts on these companies? ive had friends who have used their services and have had nothing but positive experiences so just wondering what the pros out here in the community think of them?

A little background info on myself and current situation, Im from Sydney, 29yrs old and inherited my family property a few years back. This property is split evenly between my brother and I, we sold that property and bought and moved into an apartment in Rhodes in 2011 for $600k at the time, no mortgage. This year however it seems the time has come to part ways with my brother and so he needs to access his half of the inheritance (ie the property) to purchase his own. Since the property was bought under my name I will have to take on a mortgage of my own which ill be looking at approx $325k in order to pay him out and continue living there. My mortgage broker informed me that my current salary will be more than enough to cover the loan and will also have sufficient amount left over to invest in my first investment property. In addition i also have savings of $150k. My broker says I have a few options available but I would love to hear some of the thoughts and advice from the pros here too, such as what you would do in if you were in my position. As im just starting out an not in an immediate hurry i would really appreciate some direction in getting started in this exciting journey.

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Firstly. If your broker has less properties then you. Or rents, stop listening to your broker.
    IMO a broker who doesn’t invest themselves. Is a sales rep.

Cash and equity wise you have enough to buy several properties. The question is what type of properties do you wish to buy. Ie would you buy a new unit. Yes Low maintenance etc but once you have bought 2 newish units. You have to wait for lady lucky market growth or save more money to be able to buy more.

Perhaps look Into purchasing. Fixing up: renovating, subdividing land and building. To create additional equity so that you can reuse the same capital again and again and again.
    Aim for lower- medium value properties where the yields/ rents are usually higher in proportion to the value of the property.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of wilko1 wilko1.
    Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

You seem to be in a pretty good situation. Since this happened to me, I seem to be repeating myself in a few threads, but be aware how quickly things can change when you ‘settle down’ – assuming that you don’t have any kids / wifes (yea, the plural wife is a part-joke / part-serious comment). But my priorities changed pretty quick when I got married, then had one, and now two kids.

Otherwise, you’re in the standard deposit / serviceability / risk category. How much deposit do you have? How much can you service? How much risk are you willing to take on? Then it’s just a matter of determining what to buy :)

On another note, if you have $150k in savings… what are you doing with it if you have no debt?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of TheNewGuy TheNewGuy.
    Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

I found when I was starting out reading the forums was my greatest source of knowledge then putting learnings into practice and learning some more from them. I went to a few of the free seminars but I found them to be biased and pushed their own product or agenda to benefit them and not me.

You’ve got an end goal which is good, but how are you going to get there? Do you want to buy and hold? Do you want to reno? Are you time poor or rich? Do you want to develop? Flip?

Are those 10 properties going to be $150k regional cheapies giving you CF or are they going to be $700k houses in capital city blue chip suburbs giving you lots of CG or a balance of both or all of the above?

Hopefully some food for thought.

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi, you are in a great position.

Have you read any property books? If no, start now (and read property forums). If you have, what type of investor do you want to be and what strategy do you want to start with. I say start with because lots of investors start simple then progress to more complicated ventures.

Firstly I would speak to a goopd broiker (not all brokers are created equal).

He/she will help you with what you can borrow and the best way to structure. I’m not a broker but the way I would do it would be to put your cash into the PPOR (Principal Place of Residence) and therefore have a smaller loan on that. Or better still put your $150K into an offset account on your PPOR. A broker will explain the advantage of this.
    It’s always best to pay down non deductable debt (such as your home). Then borrow the maxmum for investing. Once you find out your borrowing capacity you can get started. Decide what type of properties you are interested in then start looking. I’d set up a LOC against the PPOR to use as deposits then borrow 80% attached to the Investment property. As I said I’m not a broker but that’s worked well for me. He/she may advise differentlty but avoid Cross Collaterising IP’s with you PPOR AT ALL COSTs.

Regarding companies beware. There are some good ones but there are MANY that just take your money.
    This group is in Sydney and helped me when I got started. They are a buyers agency (as i they source properties for you) but they run fortnightly meetings near Parramatta for only $10. They or not pushy and don’t sell properties so won’t try to push you into deals. The meetingsd are informative and the topics are relevant and current. It’s also a great way to network with other likeminded investors. I think they are a great sarting point (even if you don’t want a buyers agent). You can talk to them and they will sit down with you and discuss your personal situation. There are a few good brokers that attend the meetings that you could talk to also.

Get there at 6.30 to chat before the meeting and hang around afterwards. Networking is THE key to success. Learn from others.

http://www.rightpropertygroup.com.au/

Good luck on your investment journey. Be careful it’s addictive. LOL

Profile photo of kane9539kane9539
    Participant
    @kane9539

Best of Luck for carear.This is the right business you have choose.But buy property very carefully.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

IMO a broker who doesn’t invest themselves. Is a sales rep.

This is important.

You want to deal with someone who walks the talk. The best brokers I know are all property investors.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of RH84RH84
    Participant
    @rh84

Thanks for all the responses and genera positivity regarding my situation. Let me address everyone individually as i appreciate all your feedback.

1. Wilko: My broker is actually a mate of mine, he became a broker about just over a year ago, he worked in the banking industry previously. He has made senior broker in that time and seems successful from what I can see. He has 1 property investment so far and I doubt he is trying to push sales on to me as I mentioned he is a mate. As a new inexperienced investor, im looking to start purchasing more on the lower end, NOT NEW, most likely older properties that may need some reno work which could create equity which i could extract to invest in more. And yes im looking for the more foundation bread and butter type properties that will produce good cash flow and have potential for capital growth.

2. TheNewGuy: No kids but do have a dependent spouse and yeah I know things will need to be re prioritised as soon as kids come in the equation which is why i want to setup my PI foundation before that happens lol. My 150k savings is just in a term deposit at the moment, been saving it to use as an offset account when I finally take on this mortgage to lower repayments, if not, it will be used for PI purposes.

3. Kinetic: Ive been to a few of those free seminars but i agree, they totally push their own agendas.I guess iam time poor and do intend to buy and hold (with possible minor reno if needed) for the bulk of my investing, if i am able to build a solid portfolio this way, i do have interest in flipping too. Primarily Id want to start of investing in the lower end of the sydney metro areas that have good CG and build my way up into the inner west and higher, im open to other states ie qld and vic if their are good opportunities, but def not looking at regional cheapies.

4. Catalyst: Thanks for the positivity, I havnt read any PI books yet but am very keen to start, my problem is not knowing which ones are the most useful, I have heard “rich dad poor dad” being mentioned before but besides that im not really sure. If you could recommend a few that would be great. Strategy wise im not sure at all but i do want to start simple and progress to more complex ventures way down in the future when im more experienced.

As mentioned above, my broker is a mate of mine, hes been working as a broker for just over a year now, he worked in the banking industry previously. He has made senior broker in that time and seems successful from what I can see. He has 1 property investment so far and as a matter of fact he suggested a very similar strategy to what you have mentioned which is to put the 150k into an offset account on my PPOR so i can lower the mortgage repayments. In terms of borrowing capacity, he has evaluated it to be at $460k mark which covers my total loan amount and leaves a bit left over to use, he thinks id be able to bump up my borrowing capacity to around 300k if i invest in a second property. Im looking for bread and butter type properties possibly in western syd which ive heard can go for around the 300k mark. Im also open and willing to learn if there are other potential properties with similar attributes either in syd or other areas that have good rent cash flow and room for CG.

How does the LOC against PPOR work? is that the same as extracting the equity and using it as cash on a new PI? and if so doesnt that mean you would be putting up your PPOR as cross collateral?

Which other property buyers agents would you recommend? Ive heard good things about BInvested. I will def look into the one you have suggested and im keen to attend their meetings esp since they are quite close to me.

5. kane9539: thanks and im very cautious hence im trying to do my research and learn as much as possible before taking the plunge lol.

6. Jamie M: thanks for the input, i would like to network with more brokers who are PI investors themselves, same goes for accountants and financial advisers, hopefully some may cross paths with me on here lol.

Profile photo of RH84RH84
    Participant
    @rh84

On another note: as iam looking for properties with good rental cash flow and room for capital growth, how should i start researching these areas? which tools do i need? Ive heard about RP data, is that a good starting point or are there other research tools needed? thanks.

Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

A bit of a late reply, and after your long post replying to everyone it seems like someone should get back to you!

It sounds like you’re looking at sourcing the IP yourself, which is common, however I would at least consider using a buyers agent. It’s a big purchase, and it’s amazing how many people just do a bit of research, haggle with a RE agent and lay down $300k+ on a IP.

You’ll see a trend through the posts where people are new to the forums (myself included when I started on here last year), but it’s really about figuring out where you want to be in the future and then determining how you get there. The first IP could potentially make / break your investment future, so you want to get it right. I can’t remember the numbers but the vast majority of investors stop at one IP! Do you want growth, or cash flow, or a bit of both (sounds like this option)? Figure that out, and you’ll be on your way to knowing where to look.

In regards to the PPOR and LOC question. The LOC is secured against only your PPOR, while the new investment loan is only secured against the new IP. So, if you sell your PPOR you have to pay out / refinance the LOC. Hope that makes sense.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I would look at BInvested as well to see if that suits you. Nathan helped me get started when he worked for Right Group. He’s the nicest, most honest person you’ll ever meet.

I’ve sent you a private message (check up the top of the page).

Profile photo of Kinnon BellKinnon Bell
    Participant
    @kinnon

A bit of a late reply from me too sorry – still figuring out how to use this forum ie find out when a thread has been updated. One cool thing I did discover the other day is you can tag users in your posts and, at least for me, when that happened I got an email telling me someone had mentioned me. Anyway, slightly OT….

I won’t comment on your broker mate – if you trust him with you $$$ then that is one of the main things. Just educate yourself so if something is not being done or could be done better you’re aware. But then again – you don’t know what you don’t know! Two of my biggest tips are avoid x-coll and if you’re looking at building a sizable portfolio use the lenders that have the stingiest serviceability first then when you start hitting the serviceability walls go to the ones who have a more generous serviceability model.

With investing in Sydney – I think the horse has bolted with that one. How much steam has the market got left in it? I don’t know, but I think there’s other markets with more go in it now.

How does the LOC against PPOR work? is that the same as extracting the equity and using it as cash on a new PI? and if so doesnt that mean you would be putting up your PPOR as cross collateral?

Yes, you’re extracting equity into a stand alone loan with your PPOR as the secuity/collateral but in the sense of the word it wouldn’t be x-coll. You have your PPOR and then secured against it is the mortgage and then the LOC but this is not considered x-coll as there’s only one security. On the other hand, if you had a LOC with PPOR and IP1 secured against it, then this would be x-coll. Are you concerned if something were to go wrong you could lose your PPOR?

Which other property buyers agents would you recommend? Ive heard good things about BInvested. I will def look into the one you have suggested and im keen to attend their meetings esp since they are quite close to me.

I have never dealt with binevested but do a search on the other property investing forum (has SS as the initials…) and there’s some interesting comments and people sharing their experiences on there.

On another note: as iam looking for properties with good rental cash flow and room for capital growth, how should i start researching these areas? which tools do i need? Ive heard about RP data, is that a good starting point or are there other research tools needed? thanks.

I am sure there is a better way, but what I do when I’m looking to start investigate a new area is purchase the property investing magazines (a lot cheaper than a RP Data subscription) and at the back they have all the suburb/town info listed. So I search within my parameters – such as 5% avg CG, median of below $400k, rental vacancy below 2%, rental return of at least 6% and then I find which areas fit those parameters and use that as a starting point. I then look at the demographics, planning websites to see what’s under way and what’s planned (gentrification) as well as the housing stats like days on market, discounting that kind of thing to get an indication of where it’s at in the cycle.

Kinnon Bell | Kinetic Funding
    http://www.kineticfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage & Personal Loan Broker based in Cairns and Melbourne but servicing clients Australia wide.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

6. Jamie M: thanks for the input, i would like to network with more brokers who are PI investors themselves, same goes for accountants and financial advisers, hopefully some may cross paths with me on here lol.

No probs – there’s no shortage of excellent professionals on the forum.

Cheers

Jamie

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Jamie Moore Jamie Moore.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.