All Topics / Help Needed! / Installing a heater at the tenants request…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of darkness72darkness72
    Participant
    @darkness72

Hi

I have a bungalow (living room kitchen and a seperate bedroom/bathroom)

There are 2 built in heaters in the living area, but nothing in the bedroom.

1. Should the landlord pay to have a heater installed in the bedroom.?
    2. Should the landlord pay to provide a portable heater in the bedroom?
    3. Should the tenant pay for their own heater in the bedroom.?

note – the bungalow will be torn down in 3-5 years for a new development – thus dont want to spend $$$ to install a split system

Cheers

Profile photo of tom123tom123
    Participant
    @tom123

pretty tenant is aware that there isn’t a heater before they sign the tenancy agreement, thus meaning they should pay..

better outcome would be to get them to resign a 12 month lease at 20 dollars extra a week and you buy it. / they buy a cheap oil one.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

If they’re good tenants then I’d keep them happy. Having said that – since you’re going to knock the place down soon I’d offer to sort them out with a portable heater….which don’t cost much.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree with Jamie. A split system or other fixed heater option is too expensive considering you plan to knock the place down. If it were me, I’d either let them buy their own heater, or if they kicked up a fuss about how cold the room is, I might buy them a present of a heater. Being clear that if the heater breaks, you won’t buy them another one. It is a gift, not a chattel of the property.

I would not be offering a heater out of the goodness of your heart in an unprovoked manner… say nothing about it unless the tenant or prospective tenant raises it as an issue.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.