All Topics / General Property / How do banks consider rental income?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Does anyone have any experience with having only rental income as your only source of income?

Say you own 4 houses that are cash flow positive, which make you $50,000 per year.

Is there any sort of discount applied to your income, based on it not being a salary?

What I’m getting at is how do you know you can quit your job, and still be able to buy more properties….

Thanks.

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

No there is no difference between rental income and salary for the purpose of obtaining a loan. Banks will look at your historical income (rental/salary/business), to judge its stability, and any current loans you might have.

What I’m getting at is how do you know you can quit your job, and still be able to buy more properties….

That depends on how much income you will need to cover your expenses and service your current/future loans.

Andrew

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to say that is not quiet correct and indeed there are many a lender who would consider you as being rent reliant and discount accordingly.

Going back some years lenders used to only take 30% of the Gross rental income where it was your sole form of income.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Yes but not all lenders will accept this.

An example of this is Westpac and their 50% rent reliant policy – so essentially if the rent is 50% more than your total income than it makes you rent reliant and they do not accept over 80% and take it case by case if its under 80%.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of superAndrewsuperAndrew
    Participant
    @superandrew

Yes I did not mention that they won’t use your gross rent but will apply a discount factor to take into account agent’s fees, council rates, strata levies, repairs and vacancies (which makes sense).

A general rule is 20% discounting but it varies between lenders. Best approach would be to approach different lenders and provide them with your financial statements for the last two years to show your profits.

superAndrew | Property Analyser and Finder Tool
    https://property-analyser.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Amp Bank are another one.

If you own 10 properties they will not touch you full stop even if there are no loans in any of them.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Yeah it’s a shame about AMP – particularly for those with large portfolios. Guess it’s a matter of using them a little bit earlier than leaving them for last.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Generally standard resi IP income are discounted by 20%.

But as Richard mentioned; if your unemployed ( Under 50) and your using rental income only to service the loan;
    1. Not all lenders will allow this as your def high(er) risk
    2. It will be approved on a case by cases basis ..based on your LVR, overall portfolio, risk buffers, age and your rental yield ( Max 6% with some lenders)
    3. Rental reliance policy will kick in ( rent > 50% of your income)

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Profile photo of alfrescodiningalfrescodining
    Participant
    @alfrescodining

Wow thanks for all the great responses everyone.

I don’t understand the banks’ approach to this…. why isn’t rental income considered to be more secure than a salary? Someone could get sacked at any moment, but a house would rarely burn down….?

Also why would AMP have a policy of not lending to anyone with more than 10 properties?

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Bank policy isn’t always logical, which is the bane of many a brokers existence. In the end they are the king makers however, as they control the money and the rules.

Risk matching obviously tells certain lenders that reliance upon rent is a higher risk factor than a salary, likewise AMP believes owners with 10+ properties are a higher risk to their business.

Sometimes this may be due to larger secondary issues, for instance on the rental reliance issue lenders consider a ‘worker’ to be able to replace their incomes without too many issues, whereas extenuating circumstances for an individual with a portfolio and no income, may come undone (ie, divorce, litigation perhaps).

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.