All Topics / Value Adding / Roof restoration or bathroom renovation?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of DonnaOgleDonnaOgle
    @donnaogle

We have an opportunity to do a bathroom reno adding a 2nd toilet to a 3 bedroom house, or restore the tiles roof with a full respray with a fresh new colour.  I am trying to decide which one will add the most value to the house.  A great new roof to appear fresh from the streetscape, or a new modern bathroom with the extra toilet.  Any ideas or opinions.  I am removing  a bathtub and replacing it with a walk in shower and putting in the toilet in the old toilet space, or the quote we have from the roof guy is around $4000 to fully restore this 20 year old home.  Any ideas, opinions?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Does the roof need work or are you doing it to improve the look? Of course the roof needs to be sound.

So you are taking the bath out and putting in an extra toilet?? It's bit confusing as you say you are putting a toilet in the old toilet space. Or did you mean the bath space?

I would never remove a bath from a house. You cut out families from your rental pool. People with kids want a bath.

A new bathroom will increase the rent. A roof won't.

I'd go the bathroom (assuming the roof is sound).

Profile photo of DonnaOgleDonnaOgle
    @donnaogle

The rof has a few cracked tiles and really does need repointing, but the above price is for a full restoration.  I could just replace the tiles etc for much cheaper.  The house is rented by my parents and intented to hold onto it for many years, hence the want to make the shower a bigger, modern one.  I do worry about taking the bath out but it wont be rented on the rental market for maybe 15 years or so.  I really need this house to grow in value for future back valuations, so i'm tossing up the possibilities.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Most valuers just do a desktop valuation anyway so won't even see it.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I wouldn't worry too much about the roof right now. It seems like it doesn't need to be done right now (a few cracked tiles) so you'd be better off repainting later on when you're closer to selling. Otherwise, you'll prob end up needing to get it redone.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Catalyst wrote:
    Most valuers just do a desktop valuation anyway so won't even see it.

We can manipulate that a little ;-)

If a full valuation will result in a better outcome – we can make it happen.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.