All Topics / General Property / Aircon replacement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Hi,

If we have a box type aircon and a gas heater in the same room and both need attention are we able to just replace the aircon with a reverse cycle model and do nothing with the heater? If not then why not?

Tools

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

It's your place. Do what you want.

or are you asking in relation to as tenancy agreement?

If it's a new lease I'd take the heater out because if it's there and not working they could ask for it to be fixed.

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

It might be my place but it is also an IP and I have legal obligations to the tenants. The tenant has been there for 5 years and just signed for another 12 months. I am trying to find out what is required by law as I couldn't find anything relevant in the residential Tenancies Act.

Tools

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

That's why I asked if it was in relation to a tenancy agreement.  You did not  mention tenants in your first post. It makes a difference to the answer.

So has the heater recently stopped working or needs fixing? If they are both working you could leave it for now.

Seeing you leased it with cooling and heating, you are obligated to provide both.

I would speak to the tenants and suggest that it would be better to have a reverse cycle AC instead of the heater and cooler. They may actually prefer it.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

As per what Catalyst said, you are obligated to provide both heating and cooling.  But this doesn't mean it has to be that old heater.  So long as it is replaced with a suitable equivalent.  I am not a fan of heaters that are close to the ground as there is the risk of the tenant putting the clothing airer a bit to close to it when trying to dry their clothing.  Also heaters close to ground waste valuable wall space that could otherwise either be covered by furniture, or be a clean piece of wall to walk past.  A split system is up high and out of the way.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of vagirl2012vagirl2012
    Participant
    @vagirl2012

Split system is definitely the way to go.  You are only obliged to provide heat and cooling, and this will do both, whilst potentially halving your maintenance costs as it's now only the one unit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.