All Topics / Help Needed! / How to accelerate purchase of second IP?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of minds-eyeminds-eye
    Participant
    @minds-eye

Hi there. What would you do?

I currently have 1 IP which is Cash Flow Neutral. The house is worth around 500K with 450K owing.

I have an IO loan with offest account worth 25K and the ability to contribute at least 1.5K of my pay per week.

Any ideas welcome :)

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Get the property valued and see if you can access the equity in the property.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi mindseye

Could you renovate the property and add value? If so, you could tap into the equity and go for the next IP.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Depending on the purchase price of the property you might be able to borrow 100% of the new Investment property plus acquisition costs without using your equity or cash.

We purchased a property for a forum member only last week for $121K (No not a typing error) with a 100% loan and managed to add the stamp duty, legals and our property sourcing fee into the borrowings.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of minds-eyeminds-eye
    Participant
    @minds-eye

Thanks for the replies guys. 

100% borrowing could be an option. I imagine it attracts quite a high LMI. Where would you find a property for $120K, I would certainly like to know!

The other suggestion – Tapping into equity. Can anyone give me a simple explanation of how I could do this? 

if I borrowed more money against the property, I could not exceed the original LVR of 90? I would also imagine there would be many hoops to jump through to get the funds.

I have only had my loan for 1 month! its also fixed for 1 year.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi mindseye

An example of tapping into equity.

Say for example that you had a loan of $300k against a PPOR worth $500k and you wanted to buy a $400k IP.

The bank will let you take your loan up to 80% of the properties value so you can use it as a deposit/costs on an IP.

So if it's worth $500k – they'll let you go up to $400k which is an additional $100k.

The $100k needs to be set up as a second loan so you can distinguish deductible debt (the $100k equity release for IP purposes) from non-deductible (the $300k PPOR loan). You would then set up a third loan to cover the remaining balance of the IP.

So it looks like this:

PPOR worth $500k

Loan 1: Current loan $300k

Loan 2: Equity release of $100k (covers 20% deposit and costs on a $400k IP)

IP worth $400k

Loan 3: Loan for 80% of IP ($320k)

Some lenders will allow the borrower to take the loan up to 90% of the properties value. In some rare circumstances, a 95% lend may even be possible.

In your instance, you don't have any equity that you can access as you're already sitting at 90% LVR and it's unlikely that your current lender will allow equity releases beyond this. 

If your current lender allows upfront valuations then it would be worthwhile getting one done – and if the property is worth more, you may be able to access some equity.

Hope that helps.

Jamie 

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of minds-eyeminds-eye
    Participant
    @minds-eye

Hi Jamie,

Much thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have heard people saying to avoid "cross collatorisation" of your loans/properties.

Does your strategy use cross collatorisation because you are securing the finance of one property against another?

Participant
    @jamie-m

Nope – cross colaterisation is rarely a good idea.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.