All Topics / Help Needed! / Maximum number of tenants under BCC?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of acurabotacurabot
    Participant
    @acurabot

Hi all,

I have a student accomodation in Coopers Plains, QLD that has 7 bedrooms, two streets away from Griffith Uni. My council, Brisbane City Council, says that I can only have a maximum of 5 unrelated persons in a house. Can anyone shed light on:

1. Is there a way I can legally have more than 5 unrelated persons in a house and at what expense?

2. If I have four unrelated persons and a family, does this count as 5 unrelated persons if you consider the family to be related?

3. If I turned the garage into a granny flat, can I have 5 in the main house and two living in the garage? Or is this not allowed as it is considered the "same" dwelling?

4. Similarly, if I built a granny flat in the backyard, does the number of tenants in there count towards the five unrelated persons in my main dwelling?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kindest Regards,

Dao

Profile photo of OzmanOzman
    @ozman

Read this topic it explains most of your questions

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/general-property/4347101

A single tenancy dwelling can only have one Tennant or Tenants in common not exceeding 5 unrelated persons

to change property use including new construction requires more investigation design to meet planning requirements and approvals.

Of course the garage is part of the same dwelling!!! and would be another tenant so no go!

Profile photo of acurabotacurabot
    Participant
    @acurabot

Thank you. Interesting read indeed

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

You may be able to get a material change of use to a multiple dwelling – hostel.   But you would need to be on LMR or higher land and I am guessing you are on a low density lot.

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

Participant
    @acurabot

You are correct RPI and your information was helpful as always. I am in Low Residential so therefore, I will have to talk to my property manager in getting one lease for my future tenants once my renovation has been completed.

Cheers,

Dao

Profile photo of James1695James1695
    Participant
    @james1695

I would suggest using "The Pad" as rental agent, they have a very large number of university student on their books and will be able to maximize the number of people you can rent to.  They also rent by the room on individual leases, with the full approval of the council.  Despite what others may have posted there is no reason why you can't  rent by the room in the town plan,  the town plan does not place any restriction on how the leasing is done.  Also getting approval as a boarding house is a very bad idea.  Once approved they become a protected building and you will have difficulty altering , demolishing and selling the property, also there are very high controls on disabled access and compliance checks that cost a lot of money.

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

hahaha, what a coincidence. I was just with Daniel at 'The Pad'. I've heard about them for a while, Daniel is great. Dao, give them a call.

I believe you want your place to be LMR, I read above its Low Residential great.

Next if you want to rent out 7 rooms have to become a:

Multi – unit dwelling: a use of premises as the principal place of longer term residence by several discrete households, domestic groups or individuals irrespective of the building form… Example of other forms of multi-unit dwelling include boarding house, retirement village, nursing home, … hostel….

To change it from a house to Mulit-unit dwelling, have to deal with Council, and fire safety. The fire safety  includes, monthly inspections, alarms hardwired to each room etc. Firesaftey is a large cost. Sometimes investors with 6 rooms will leave the 6th room empty.

My Opinion, you having 7 rooms, speak to Daniel at The Pad and look for ways to increase the rental return.

ps. Im no way related to "The Pad'  just looking at buying, increasing rooms, having them assist in the process. 

Kind regards,

Adrian C

http://www.adriancahill.com

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Participant
    @acurabot

Thanks guys. I will enquire about them.

Profile photo of DanielDaniel
    Participant
    @hivestudentaccommodation

hahaha, what a coincidence. I was just with Daniel at ‘The Pad’. I’ve heard about them for a while, Daniel is great. Dao, give them a call.

<i class=”rw-ui-like-icon”></i>0<i class=”rw-ui-dislike-icon”></i>0

<i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-outer-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.498039);”></i><i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-inner-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”></i>Rate this

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the kind words, or be it from a couple of years ago! FYI I’m no longer with The Pad, and have my own agency, “Hive Student Accommodation” based in Kelvin Grove. Drop me a line if you want to grab a coffee one day!

Cheers
    Dan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.