All Topics / Help Needed! / Still seeking a physical mentor

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of SebastianJefferyJonesSebastianJefferyJones
    Participant
    @sebastianjefferyjones

Hi guys,

I posted on here a few months ago regarding finding a mentor.

I'm 19, originally from Byron Bay and living in Sydney.

I take my research very seriously. I dedicate large quantities of time

to this research. I'm also serious about achieving financial freedom. I want

to get there yesterday.

I save 86% of my income, live a barebones lifestyle, so I can achieve my dreams

faster.

I would very much appreciate having an experienced individual

to critique me on my research methods, providing a subjective,

outsiders perspective. Also, I find talking to people about their own portfolio,

and their experiences is much more educational than just reading forum posts.

As I've said un previous posts, I believe mentorship should be something that should be

passed onto students because the mentor has a desire to help others, and pass

on their experience to the next generation of investors. I also believe that the student

should be giving back. I'd be more than happy to lend a hand in other ways, whether

that be physical work/baby sitting ect.

I'd bloody love network with some seasoned investors, not just people at my level.

Waves of appreciation,

Seb

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi Sebastian. Why not attend one of the Sydney meetups? We had a great one at Baulkham Hills last week. Both new and experienced investors. Informal chatting about investing and whatever comes up. 

Check out she Somersoft forum. Meetups are listed there. 

Its a great way to network and meet like minded people. 

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Catalyst is on the money. You'll meet some great people – all with a common interest and from all stages of investing. At least it won't be a spruik fest either.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of SebastianJefferyJonesSebastianJefferyJones
    Participant
    @sebastianjefferyjones

Fantastic, I'll definitely look at these.

Thanks for the input!

Seb.

Profile photo of munmun5munmun5
    Participant
    @munmun5

Hey Seb nice work on getting ahead now. I'm 26 have completed Steve's cert 4 in property investing and am saving hard for my first IP . Meetup is an awesome medium to find like minded people and create relationships to learn off. I have just started my own young investors meet up group in Brisbane with our first meeting next month ( 9 members and growing haha). I would suggest maybe working on something similar as you can just start it as a networking meet and greet then further it to have different people talking about their real deals or invite different speakers to present. Being the person to take action will put you in good standing with people.

Feel free to message me if you want any more information. 

Participant
    @catalyst

A young meetup sounds great but in reality it may be the blind leading the blind.

Do you want to hang with the guys or learn about property investing? 

Surely its better to meet with other investors (regardless of age) with like minded goals. I have been to meetups where some people haven't bought yet and others have multiple properties and years of investing experience. There are many experienced investors who are very generous with their time and expertise. Why through that away because they aren't 26? 

Doesnt make sense to me. Disclaimer-  I'm more than double 26. 

Profile photo of Rick staRick sta
    Participant
    @rick-sta

I am also 26 and would consider myself to be knowledgable in not only property investment, but finance and economics in general.  I enjoy learning about this stuff, but to be honest, I would never show up to one of these events. I'm slightly paranoid, upon meeting someone my first thought is- what do they want from me, also what do I want from them. I much prefer to sit in a dark room and educate myself. Although paranoid, I am actively investing and have a network of professionals who have worked hard to gain my trust. I started from scratch with no formal education and currently hold 3 IP's as well as other private investments I would prefer the world didn't know about :) 

Participant
    @rick-sta
    Catalyst wrote:
    A young meetup sounds great but in reality it may be the blind leading the blind.

Totally agree. 

Participant
    @catalyst
    Rick sta wrote:
    I am also 26 and would consider myself to be knowledgable in not only property investment, but finance and economics in general.  I enjoy learning about this stuff, but to be honest, I would never show up to one of these events. I'm slightly paranoid, upon meeting someone my first thought is- what do they want from me, also what do I want from them. I much prefer to sit in a dark room and educate myself. Although paranoid, I am actively investing and have a network of professionals who have worked hard to gain my trust. I started from scratch with no formal education and currently hold 3 IP's as well as other private investments I would prefer the world didn't know about :) 

Congratulations for realising your problem. That's the first step. The next is doing something about it.

I have been to many investment meetups and haven't been brainwashed or had my mind read to see what I am doing.

I have actually made some long term friends along my journey. A meetup is just that- people chatting about what they do (if they want) and answering questions from newbys. People don't usually ask how many properties etc you own. Even if asked some say "enough" or "not enough" etc. 

I love talking property and none of my regular friends invest so it's great to chat about that and more often than not you find you have other things in common also.

I met one guy a few times who was very quiet. He seemed to know a bit but wasn't opinionated or anything. Turns out he has a many multi million dollar portfolio.

So your loss. Good luck with your investing though.

Participant
    @rick-sta

Haha fair call, I will take that one on the chin.

I have no plans to "do something about it" however, that's just who I am. I believe that knowing who you are and how you react in different situations is crucial to implementing a strategy that is suited to….you.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

You can listen to what has someone has to say and learn bits n pieces from it.  You can be matter of fact in your evaluation of whether or not that person's information is useful to you or not (and why) without needing to be paranoid.  It is a good thing to expose yourself to lots of people in your chosen field because the more you listen to, the higher the chance you will hear pieces of information that are useful and relevant to you.  And you might just come across a person whose service or knowledge you can leverage so that your investing moves much more quickly and strongly than it could under the steam of only your own knowledge.  smiley

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @catalyst

Hi Rick. Good to hear you have a sense of humour.

I should have put a smiley as I realised it reads a bit rudely. I did mean it tongue in cheek. Damn writing. Never conveys emotion.

I agree with knowing where you are coming from is essential. My lack of confidence stopped me from investing for MANY years. I must say in my defense though that internet has made a massive difference to investing, especially in the last 10 years.

Networking was instrumental in getting me to where I am today. I met young people who had less money than me and had more property than me. That was a wake up call.

Anyone can write anything on the internet but when you meet and talk to genuine people it connects. 

I know you don't want the world to know about your investments but curious- have you bought in Townsville?

Participant
    @rick-sta

Totally understand the networking and creating mutually beneficial relationships with others in the industry thing.

Yep, bought in Townsville and have a pretty good knowledge of the local market. Don't see a great deal of potential for short term growth at the moment as there is a lot of new stock  coming onto the market and developers seem to be the only ones making a quick buck. As such, my last acquisition had a strong focus on yield and I was able to secure an older duplex on one title sitting on 1012m2, gross rental yield 9.2%.

Whilst bearish on short term growth in the market, I think the medium to long term outlook is great. There is such a strong and diverse local economy with population growth and business investment surging ahead.

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Wow this is great.

I just PM to MunMun5, I will try to join him in Brisbane.

Catalyst Comment "A young meetup sounds great but in reality it may be the blind leading the blind."

I have seen Entreprenuer groups where they all help each other become better Entreprenuers. I think there still Entreprenuers (trying to achieve more but limited by those around them).  You can really benefit by having a people ahead of you. Suggest a couple of ol dogs that have done a few deals or made a few million. Or have some Millionairs drop in occasionally. Or guys like Rick

Sebastian, I found a lack of Mentors. I don't want to be retiring at 40. I want to retire at 30.

What Rick Sta says is interesting. I did it similar to him. I attended meetups and talked more but relised that there was so much BS out there. I had 50yr olds giving me lots of advice and they were all working 40hours perweek.   Rick, if your up for lunch someday holla. Im visiting family in Townsville till the 13September.

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Participant
    @catalyst

Adrian there may not be people that will sign up to be your mentor but there are a LOT of people out there doing it that are very generous with their time.

As you said- go to meetups and meet people, talk to them, find out what they know. That will help you along your way.

Always listen to people who have what you want. They got there and so can you. 

There's a quote somewhere (can't find it ATM) about the fact that you shouldn't be the person in your team with all the knowledge. Surround yourself with people that know more than you. That's how you grow and learn. The thing is you don't know what you don't know!

I've met people who are so full of themselves and every sentence starts with "I" but really they are few and far between. Most people I've met are very humble and don't self promote. I've met people several times and found out later they have HUGE portfolios. So just get out there and meet people investing. Simple as that.

Profile photo of munmun5munmun5
    Participant
    @munmun5

Hey Catalyst,

I agree with you re: ' is it the blind leading the blind' . My goal is  I have been on a private course kind of tied in with Steve cert 4. He gave anyone on it who was enrolled the chance to come to Melbourne every 2 months from July last year to oct this year ( last meeting next month) to stay in the course we had to complete different tasks weekly between each meeting. If you failed to complete things you got eliminated the group started with 150 odd and is down to 20-30 ish. I have learnt a lot of amazing things while doing this and the cert four that I think I can pass on some of this life lessons to get the group started and help get people on the right financial path. My aim after that is to build some networks with a team of knowledgeable people in their fields,lawyers, accountants town planners etc who have a passion for property and may see sharing their knowledge as a two way street. I also would want to encourage people to present real deals they are working on to encourage and highlight the successes and pitfalls associated with property. I have found at different meetups and networking groups I have attended that there are some amazing older investors who are happy to share information with you but on the other hand there are alot of older people there who I put in the'group junkie' category in which they go from one to another hoping to find the get rich quick option with no effort or they are in the couda,shoulda,woulda mindset and not ready to take action. Many of the younger people I have met have already taken action to change their life and are usually action takers although occasionally frightened at such events due to their knowledge base. I want to create an event that they can come to feel comfortable but also push their comfort levels and also meet like minded people who they can inspire and be inspired by. While reading what I wrote this sounds like I am bagging anyone who is not 'young' this is far from what I am trying to get across all I am trying to provide it a forum for people to succeed in life. 

Participant
    @catalyst

munmun5.

What you are trying to achieve sounds great. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from hearing about what you have learned.

As you said- there are all types. Some people will NEVER buy anything. I too have met people who have all the book knowledge but don't actually do anything. These people often frequent forums too and answer questions asked. That's why posters need to take care when reading things on forums. I've seen answers given that are totally wrong.

I've also met lots of young people who are keen and get in there and jump in. Some research first, others jump in blindly.

Takes all types. Hopefully your meetups will help steer some people in the right direction.

Good luck with it.

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Seb,

I am you, but 10 years down the track. I joined the forum in 2003 and am now 29 (with the big three oh not far away!). 

I started out like you as well, researching tirelessly and trying to learn from others. The advice I would give you is don't look for a single mentor. One person's method and ideologies are more than likely going to be different to what works for you and trying to emulate how they do things or taking their advice above others is not going to get you where you want to be. Learn as much as you can from as many as you can and then put the pieces of the puzzle together to form your own ideas and opinions. The comments about joining investment groups and going to forum meet ups are on the money because you will meet more like minded people. 

The above post is the only one of yours that I've read so I'm not sure if you already own any property but If not then my second piece of advice is to pull the trigger and buy something! Doing will teach you more than researching ten times over. It will also give you the confidence to move on with the next one and hopefully the passion and craving for more! When I was 19 I read a property investing book which I thought was ground breaking, and nowadays I realise it was basically full of outdated ideas and marketing spin – The one good thing about the book though was that it got me so pumped about buying a property that I purchased my first IP a few months later which was the biggest single step of the whole journey.

The last thing I would say is maximise your employment income – Cash truly is king, and income will always be a more important factor in any loan application than LVR. If you can get a job that will add in some way to your passion for wealth creation or help you learn from others (eg: real estate, finance) then that's a huge added bonus.

Today I own an investment portfolio with net income of over $100k (before tax), and my PPOR is paid off. My first child is now 12 weeks old (named Sebastian!) and my wife is on maternity leave with no intention of ever going back to work. I plan to leave work at the end of next year and have time to raise a family and do all the things I've worked so hard to be able to afford over the last decade. Hopefully you find this motivating, and it gives some context to my earlier advice.  

I know your post was mainly about finding a mentor, but you sound so similar to what I did when I joined the forum so I thought I would weigh in with a couple of ideas that helped me along the way.

Best of luck with everything, and don't hesitate to PM me if you want to discuss anything further. 

Steve.

Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

A huge congratulations Steve!!

$100K (gross) passive income with PPOR paid off in less than 10 years – impressive. It's posts like these that bring these threads alive for everyone. 

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

Profile photo of SebastianJefferyJonesSebastianJefferyJones
    Participant
    @sebastianjefferyjones

Steve!

What a bloody dynamite post.  A massive congratulations to you on reaping the rewards of your labour,

and also to you and your wife for your son. I think it's very awe inspiring how you're in a situation to

raise your family in such a wholesome, unique way.

I most definitely agree with not sticking to one person's methods/ideologies, like you said.

Although I'd love to jump into my first IP now, I'm doing a large amount of nation wide research to find

areas that will prove most beneficial to me reaching FF faster. I don't believe it's a case of analysis paralysis, haha.

In saying this, it's not too far over the horizon.

Thanks for your inspiring post.

Seb

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.