All Topics / Help Needed! / The ethics, legality and etiquette for going direct to vendor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh

What are the implications and process for going directly to a vendor during an active listing with an agency, or shortly after the listing has ended without a sale?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Chances are the agent has a contract in place to sell the property within a stipulated timeframe – so if sold directly to you, they're probably still entitled to a commission.  Any particular reason why you're trying to cut out the agent? 

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Even if you approach the Vendor after the expiry of the agency period the agent will still have the right to claim a commission as you were a willing and able buyer and approached the agent for information during the agency period.

As Jamie mentioned i can't see why you would want to cut the agent out other than possibly to try and save the commission element off the purchase price.

That assumes of course the Seller will deal with you or the property hasnt been sold.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Even if you approach the Vendor after the expiry of the agency period the agent will still have the right to claim a commission as you were a willing and able buyer and approached the agent for information during the agency period.

My take on it too however where a sole listing arrangement doesn't exist the listing agency may only have a right to the listing fee and not the agents fee component. If I remember correctly there 3 components to a commission fee;  agency fee, listing fee and agent's fee. You may only be negating the agents component. I'm sure someone could clarify.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Not 100% sure but NSW agency agreement is either for a % or an agreed amount, things like marketing costs are additional and paid prior to listing.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I have over the years spoken directly with Vendors. I have done this for myself and for clients. However it has nothing to do with commission. The agent managing the property has a legal right to get paid. My motivation is to find out the vendors real motivation for selling. In many cases an agents main job is to protect a vendor from themselves. If I get to talk to a vendor directly I can generally find out why they are selling and what they will take.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh

Thanks Nigel.

So if I was to approach the vendor after the end of the listing (to correctly ascertain his/her motive) what would be the correct etiquette, and are you then obligated to notify the previous agent?

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I'd just keep it informal and ask the owners if they're still interested in selling – and from that conversation, you'll find out whether or not the agency still has the rights to the listing. Just go with your gut.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of RobertoHRobertoH
    @robertoh

Right, thanks Jamie.

Should i just call him up in such an instance – ie. really informal?

Also, is asking the agent how much longer he is likely to be listing this property for likely to set alarm bells ringing…

…or alternately create an impetus for him to get the vendor to lower his expectations whilst the property is still listed with the agency, in the hopes of still snaring a sale?

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Roberto

Some of your questions can be answered by knowing the difference between types of Agent Listing Agreements used.

In NSW an Exclusive Listing entitles the Agent to get paid their commission if you speak to the Agent or the Vendor about the property during the term of the Listing Agreement.  Even if you come back after the 'Exclusive' has expired and buy the property, the Agent will be entitled to their commission.  This is why most Agents try to insist that all sellers sign Exclusive Listing Agreements ;-)

In comparison, in NSW, if a vendor signs a Sole Agency Listing Agreement, the Agent has to 'physically introduce' the buyer to the property, during the term of the Agreement, to be entitled to their commission.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.