All Topics / Finance / Servicability and Savings when Borrowing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Rory BreakerRory Breaker
    Participant
    @rory-breaker

What are some of the criterias the bank looks at when I apply for a loan.  I know there are quite a few before the bank will consider lending to a person but I want to try and find out more about what it is the bank does require before stamping a loan APPROVED!

I know servicebility is quite important – the ability to pay the loan periodically but is it right to assume that roughly the household can afford repayments of 33% of their net pay not taking into account other debts?  Is this a good rule?

Another is savings.  For some reason a bank likes to see some savings in the bank account and I have no idea why?

Can someone shed some light on this please.

Rory.

Profile photo of Tamara43Tamara43
    Participant
    @tamara43

Hi Rory

From my understanding Banks thesedays will take into account:

1) Your wages and type/duration of employment (Generally full-tme employment is accepted. Part-time/casual or self-employed people will often have great difficulty obtaining a bank loan, if at all, as they are considered more high risk)

2) Your credit card limit (regardless of whether or not you have any monies outstanding on your card, they will add the limit amount to your outgoings – therefore advisable to shut down your credit card facility prior to applying for a loan)

3) Your savings (they want to see a pattern of savings and thus your ability to commit to paying back a loan. Banks want to see that you've saved for the deposit and not just been handed one from your parents)

4) How many times you have applied for a loan (ie; the more times you have applied, the more you are seen as a risk and the less likely you are to get approval)

5) Your ability to pay bills on time. They will run a Credit Report on you to ascertain this information. Obviously if there is repeated lateness (or non-payment) for instance in paying your phone bill, electricity/gas etc….this info will be noted. You can actually obtain a copy of your Credit Report through Veda Advantage.

There may be other criteria that someone else may know about, but hopefully this should give you a basic understanding of the requirements.

Regards, Tamara

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Banks take into account a number of things before they will approve the loan. Obviously the stronger the application the more chance you have of being approved as it helps de-risk and make it more attractive to the lender.

Stable employment history, low consumer debt, clean credit file, decent assets position, high servicing capability, it all helps. 

Each lender has different policies and serviceability requirements so what might not work for one lender may work with another due to different niches they have. Then depending on the LVR and lender you might have to obtain separate approval from the Lenders Mortgage Insurer as well.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

LVR, serviceability, employment history, amount of debt, security type and credit file are all big ones.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Dependants (eg children)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Rory BreakerRory Breaker
    Participant
    @rory-breaker

What happens then in a situation where I have good LVR, employment history, clean credit, servicability and little debt but have savings less than $20K and want to buy a home with a deposit of $80K.  Technically the bank could say I can service the loan but do not have funds to pay the deposit.

Can I get a loan from the bank and apply a second mortgage carry back if the owner is willing?  I only ask because we rent and want to purchase and have all the boxes ticked for being a good applicant for a loan but I don't want to use our savings for a deposit if I don't have to?

Rory.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Easy answer is to grab a good banker or broker and determine what is required and possible today if not 'tomorrow'. At a very basic level, the lender looks at 2 things – they are deposit and servicing. There are a whole bunch of other variables. Now it sounds like those variables may not be an issue nor is the servicing however the deposit may be an issue. 

Which state are you in and is this your first home purchase?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @rory-breaker

I'm in WA and it is not my first purchase.  What if I show the bank I have savings but would rather not use them and ask the seller for a second mortgage carry back.   Could I do this?  Would the bank be ok with something like this?

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

did you live in it because you may be able to still claim the FHOG which would make a world of difference. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @rory-breaker

I have previously bought two investment properties.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Simply use a lender that allows 2nd mortgage carry back.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @rory-breaker

Thanks for your comment Richard…Will do.

Thank you to all above.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.