All Topics / Value Adding / Engineer Melbourne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of -------——-
    Participant
    @aloha

Hii All,

I'm about to start renovating and I need to remove a couple of walls to create an open plan kitchen. 

I got a builder in who said the walls were not load bearing but I'd like to play it safe on the structural side of things and get an engineer in to give me a certificate. I'll sleep much better if I have something in writing before letting my builder loose on the job. Can anyone recommend a good engineer in Melbourne. I've checked out a lot of firms online but this is only a small job so I'd prefer a more personalised service. 

Thanks

Al

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

If a builder couldn't tell you a walls structural or not he wouldn't be worth employing and I doubt hold a license. Getting an engineer in to tell you is like like getting a neurosurgeon in to tell you you've got the flue.

Just get three quotes from builders and an explanation of the necessary work, possible complications etc. Cost you nothing that way. 

A first year building apprentice could tell if a wall is load bearing or not.

Profile photo of -------——-
    Participant
    @aloha

The builder did tell me it was not load bearing – but I'd like to have it certified by someone who is independent of the builder.

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

I think what you actually need is a someone who will answer your actual requirements going into the renovation. Last time I dealt with them, Archicentre was absolutely suberb on actually not only answering the questions required but providing enough detail that you could take that report to a builder and have him verify the issues.

And I have dealt with a couple of clowns who dont deserve the merit badge in the past.

I found them to produce clear and easy to follow reports relating to the structural integrity and issues relating to the property. It was so good in one case it actually provided the mental security for a potential purchaser (finalised the sale).

And no .. I dont work for them. But anyone who does things competently in the building game, earns a worthy recommendation.

Participant
    @aloha

Thanks xdrew that's a great idea. They hadn't even crossed my mind – I used them a number of years back  for a property inspection and I too found the guy they sent out professional and competent.

I just want an independent report stating that the walls are not load bearing and if s/he has any recommendations regarding the way those two walls spans need to be addressed that would be great as well. Then I can go to my builder and tell him I need ABC done and set out clear parameters for the job from an informed position.

Profile photo of MRCCONMRCCON
    @mrccon

Aloha, loadbearing or not, most residential construction is covered by the Australian Standards, these are detailed structural engineering specifications on most "common" construction spans and loads.

If it's as simple as removing a stud wall (load bearing or not) and installing a beam to open a room up, if your builder sights a section of the Australian Standards, he's essentially supplying you with engineering specifications on the span of the open area given the relevant loads (Single story/tiles roof/concentrated loads) anyway.

I'd save your money and just trust your builder if he has reputable references.

To gear you with a bit more knowledge; To figure out if the wall is load bearing or not, have a peak into the man hole and have a quick look at the roof structure. If the roof is trussed (Single pre-made sections with no purlins and struts usually made in 90mm or 120mm pine) or a coupled roof (Pitched roof with individual rafters/purlins/struts, hanging beams and ceiling joists usually made out of hardwood) A coupled roof will appear alot "chunkier" as the members in these roofs usually have to be larger to cover the spans.

Trussed roofs are engineered to span from the perimeter walls of a house, and as such, usually, only the outside walls of the house are loadbearing, because the outside walls are 35mm higher than internal walls.

If the roof is trussed, and the wall you are taking out is internal, then it more than likely won't be loadbearing.

Chris.

Participant
    @aloha

Thank you mrccon – very helpful. I'll have a good look up there and see what it's like.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.