All Topics / General Property / Investing in City Apartments

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of sundeepguntusundeepguntu
    @sundeepguntu

Hello everyone,

I am thinking to invest in a city studio apartment around the $175 k mark. After going through many threads regarding the lack of capital growth in these markets.

But my main aim in this investment is to get a rental yield in the long run. I will be moving overseas in 5-7 years and was thinking of purchasing a house in the suburbs and then sell it before I leave. But with new estates spreading spring up everywhere (where people might spend a bit more/less to get a brand new house in a few kilometers away) and 5-7 years not being a long term for capital growth, I am reluctant in purchasing a house.

The main idea is to be getting monthly rent while I am overseas. I understand it would be hard to get a loan from banks, but I can put in more than 50% of the price from my savings. Even if places like the below give me $1000 p.m (after removing the yearly fees) it would an ideal return on my investment.

I don't want the typical student accommodation strictly but am interested in studio apartments that might cater to both students/working renters. I liked a few places as below.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-melbourne-112970607

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-melbourne-113075503

Could anyone suggest (before bashing me for looking at this sort of an investment) if the idea of getting rental yield through such properties is a good idea for me ?

Regards,

Sunny

Profile photo of Adrian 00Adrian 00
    Participant
    @adrian-00

Hi Sunny,

My colleague recently showed me a one-bedder that sold in inner Sydney that was a prime candidate for positive cash flow. They are out there.  

My suggestion would be to use a mortgage repayment calculator to help you crunch the costs. Can you reply with figures on both those options?

Cheers, Adrian

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Seriously they are terrible investments – do the cash flow numbers and understand each and every outgoing cost. I know $175k doesn't give you huge options but there several properties that I can see in that price range that will give you both good scope for CG and cashflow.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of xdrewxdrew
    Participant
    @xdrew

Sundeep I have my answer in Hawthorn 3122 for you.

grab the local listings in 3122 .. and scroll to the lowest priced properties.

I will now mention some addresses, and its almost guaranteed you will find one or more properties from these addresses on the market.

71 Riversdale Road

383 Burwood Road

1 Queens Road

But wait .. werent they offering at least 6.5% return? So why is everyone selling?

Some are now offering up to 10% return (thats how much discounting has happened on them)

As I have been watching them I can tell you that most were sold initially between the 160k – 250k mark depending on facilities and size. With a GUARANTEED return of 6.5%

The answer is simple .. Six years after they were built .. they just CANT BE SOLD.

People literally have been selling some of these places for anything up to a year or more. Without success.

There are two legitimate reasons why. Banks require 35% or higher as initial deposit on them. And thats a lot of money.

Second reason is more simple. After six years .. there has been no movement on pricing on these places.

Except for .. down.

If you reduce the price to a level where it just becomes too cheap .. people will purchase on the premise the initial numbers work. Except .. thats what the previous owners thought too.

And thats where you come into the scene .. you are someone who is looking at a bad property invest .. albeit in the city and not Hawthorn … which has been discounted so the 6.5% original return is now more like 8 or 10%. Wow .. big numbers ! .. Ok .. lets assume you can pump together the 35% on 175k = 61,750 dollars. And you can borrow the rest. You'll be working away to repay money on an investment that already is proven to move nowhere on pricing. So considering what you'll be putting in .. you are guaranteed to start with a loss vs initial amount invested.

Geelong suburbs, Sunshine and Albion, Greater Dandenong. All still have investment properties that qualify for bank loans, are under 250k and can produce returns of up to 6%, with the possibility of ongoing growth. And because they qualify you can borrow at normal limits from as low as 10% (depending on financial situation)

The reason i qualify the above Hawthorn area scenario is because I have watched these properties stagnate now for years .. waiting for something to make them turn around. In the meantime my investments elsewhere have done the right thing .. because they were quality investments to start with.

Profile photo of sundeepguntusundeepguntu
    @sundeepguntu

Thanks for all your replies. (And special thanks for xdrew for your detailed insight).  My situation is as explained where I will move overseas in around 7 years. 

I have investments back overseas which provide with CG and capital yield and also I am getting my house constructed there. I would have chosen to invest the remaining money too overseas but I wanted to place myself in a situation where there is something left in Australia (which I really love) and who knows, down the line my children could return. 

I would have taken a house in a suburb if I stay for around 10 years but that's where my trouble is. Even for argument sake if I take a house worth 260 k (placing a deposit of 50 k) and maybe clearing out another 50 k on the principle before I go, I will still be remaining with a balance of 150 – 160 k. So, even if I rent it out for around $1000 that would just clear the monthly repayment and worse if the interest rates go up, I need to send money from overseas to meet the monthly requirements (which is the last thing I want). 

If there is something else I could do ? (sigh)

Profile photo of vendorfinancemanagementvendorfinancemanagement
    @vendorfinancemanagement

Hello everyone,

I am thinking to invest in a city studio apartment around the $175 k mark. After going through many threads regarding the lack of capital growth in these markets.

@sundeepguntu

I am back to bring this thread back to life. After feedback from various people and personally visiting a few places, I have decided against the city apartments idea. Instead I am looking for a house where I can live for a few years and then perhaps rent it out. My budget is maximum $280 k. 

I am looking at the western suburbs of Laverton and altona meadows (although with my budget it seems finding a house is pretty tough). In the East, I am considering Boronia/Bayswater north/Ferntree Gully.

I am aware of the western suburbs lacking infrastructure and growth as compared to the East but the two suburbs in West are relatively close to the city (where my wife and I work). The suburbs in East are almost like 1 hr by train.

Any ideas on what my best bet would be. I am obviously going to live in the place for 5-7 years and then maybe rent it out.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Why do people keep looking at properties where the cash flow is not that great and the growth will be zero

Buy out of the city, the city for apartments will be a major problem for a number of years look to better suburbs and dont buy tiny studios or student properties.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

@sundeepguntu

Hi Nigel,

Probably you didn't check my post. Or maybe I put it in the wrong section. I am looking for house in outer suburbs. I just wanted to decided between the options in terms of suburbs.

As I am a complete noob when it comes to property purchase in Australia, could you recommend any reputed property broker who would deal with clients for the price range I am looking for ? I would like to put forward my options and ideas and get advice to go ahead.

Regards,

Sunny

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You are now on the right track. What I would look at is the potential to create dual income on the property. This would allow you to live in one and rent the other out. You wouldn't need to do this today but it will allow you to do this at a later stage. Get a property with decent land content and compromise on the house content.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.