All Topics / Value Adding / Estimated annual growth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Property plusProperty plus
    Participant
    @lukecrawford

Hey guys, I have recently read Steve's book 0-260 properties in 7 years and am going through the number crunching template provided. All properties I evaluate are rejected because I set the estimated annual growth too low. Is there a way I can put an accurate figure in because I have been just plucking figures out of the air. Thanks heaps for your help.

Luke

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Luke

Nobody knows for certain what the capital growth of a particular suburb or property.  However, an educated guess can be made, using factors such as:

– The historical capital growth of the suburb

– Proximity to a capital city or major regional city

– Promixity to educational facilities, in particular private schools

– Promixity to a major hospital

– The proximity to employment

– The proximity to public transport

– The proximity to lifestyle amenities such as restaurants

– The proximity to water (eg beach)

– The income level of the target market (which in turn is related to how much they can afford to pay for buying such a property)

– Forthcoming infrastructure projects that would make living in the suburb more desirable.  Things like a new train line/station a new shopping centre, a new freeway

The rear pages of the Australian Property Investor and Your Investment Property Magazine have statistics in them.  One statistic in particular that will interest you is the 10 year average annual capital growth figure.

Does this help you?

Cheers

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Property plusProperty plus
    Participant
    @lukecrawford

Thanks Jacqui that helps a lot.

Participant
    @jacm

Excellent smiley

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Hi Luke

I could not agree with Jacqui more. If you look at inner city areas and look at the growth over 10 years it should give you an indication as to how the suburb should perform over the long term.

I will just add that it is important to look at short term figures you know market falls by 5%, normally referring to the last three months. Keep in mind that medium prices are based on what has sod in a given period so if you have a couple of new developments it may should that values are up. However it does not mean everything has gne up thas why long term sales figures are much better.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Participant
    @jacm

To be clear, inner city areas are not the only areas that enjoy capital growth wink

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

well my comments could also apply to inner city areas of regional cities will also show long term growth figures. Now if a property in a regional area  is $250,000 and growing at 10% it is from a lower base but is affordable and would still be better than buying a house and land package in an outer area.

It is also a matter of looking at long term trends as to where people are living. With fast trains and people wanting a more relaxed lifestyle I agree with Jacqui that some of the regional cities will continue to grow and thieve. Again look at the 10 year figures.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of Property plusProperty plus
    Participant
    @lukecrawford

Thanks for your help guys. The 10 year figures in the property magazines are very helpful. 

Profile photo of MattBPerthMattBPerth
    @mattbperth

Hi

Really new to all this can someone tell me the book Luke is refering to ?

Profile photo of MattBPerthMattBPerth
    @mattbperth

HI 

Ok again a real newbie question. If an area has enjoyed strong capital growth over the last 10 years is this an indicator of good or bad future potential ?

Profile photo of minds-eyeminds-eye
    Participant
    @minds-eye

Hi Matt, you would be wise to consider the 1/3/5 year growth figures as well. They might paint a different picture!

When you look at the 10 year growth figures, please keep in mind there was a freak 100% growth between 2002-2006 in the WA real estate market. Do you believe this could happen again? Unlikely!

http://reiwa.com.au/_Layouts/reiwa/images/research/medianprice_chartv2012.jpg

Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

Great comment Minds eye. Just wondering, wouldn't the 10 year average flatten out the shorter year distortions?

Combined with Jacquie's comments at the top of this thread, you could have a fairly good view of the anticipated growth (falling short of a crystal ball smiley)

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Profile photo of GiumelliGroupGiumelliGroup
    @giumelligroup

We typically work off an average of 5% per annum, however as Jacqui stated it all depends on what you buy and where. Remember you make your biggest gains on the purchase not the sale.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If you want a safe projection, look at longer term growth for the area ie longer than the 7 or 10 years as this barely takes in one cycle ie. you may be taking into account two growth periods or two relatively stable periods in your timeframe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.