All Topics / General Property / We’re Growing, New Planning Offices Opening

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Hi All

This is very much due to the increasing workload in the development market and the returning confidence in the market.

The planning and law firms are flat out, I have been turning away too much work that we have the skills and experience to do. Have been planning on a major expansion for a while and it has all come to fruition.

I have done a reorg of our existing planners and have poached 3 new ones. They have started and done stuff for us and am very happy so am opening new offices as follows.

PRO Town Planners Logan Opens Monday 11 Feb 2013 Ph 07 5631 0001 http://www.logantownplanning.com.au

PRO Town Planners Sunshine Coast Opens Tuesday 13 Feb 2013 Ph coming

http://www.sunshinecoast-townplanning.com.au

PRO Town Planners Ipswich Opens Wednesday 13 Feb 2013 Ph coming

http://www.ipswichtownplanning.com.au

I am obviously backing a return to a normal development market compared to the more subdued one of the last few years.

Anyone else making decisions due to the apparent returning to normal market?

regards

D

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

Profile photo of mbuildingmbuilding
    Participant
    @mbuilding

Hi Daryl,

Congratulations!!!!!

i hope all goes well for you… you have been really helpful to members of this forum and other known forum on net.

Regards

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    RPI wrote:
      Hi All

This is very much due to the increasing workload in the development market and the returning confidence in the market.

The planning and law firms are flat out, 

D

Interesting. I hope it works out for you. Construction is such a fickle game.

What's driving your market? I suspect reconstruction from successive weather disasters is soaking up available resources rather than returning confidence.

The stats certainly do not point to confidence as a driver.

http://www.oesr.qld.gov.au/products/briefs/building-approvals/building-approvals-201212.pdf

This could be a problem. Sales are diverging from approvals….????? Are developers/builders detaching from reality and swallowing the MSM message of the 'recovery' meme?

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Hi 

The developers are coming back.

Conveyancing is going nuts in my law firm also.

People are getting gazumped on 4-10 lot sites according to the contracts we see (we draft the contract and due diligence clauses etc) that don't get up.

regards

D

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Well Done

It goes to my feelings for sometime that Brisbane values will jump over the next 12 months. My only issue is that we don't now get an over supply of property in the market. However I believe there is a lot of pent up demand.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Blocked
    @freckle

From a business expansion point of view I think you're skating on thin ice. The graphic tells a fairly obvious story. New sales are on a steep descent trajectory with occasional small rallies that wither fairly quickly. That's been going on since 03. Approvals have tracked reasonably well against sales but now we have a significant divergence. I would expect to see a bounce in sales if some good economic news eventuates but we're in an election year and things aren't getting better by any stretch. 

The upside is there have been 6 up or ascending years (approvals) against 4 rather steep descending years. Approvals are down 40% from their 07 highs with a definite down trend though. The graphic suggest approvals may have topped again in Dec 12. I expect to see another sharp descent continuing the trend in 2013. 

For business planning purposes I would be looking for a volume vacuum behind this current demand surge and be planning how to cope with that by about mid 2013. You might want to consider how you can become more geographically flexible given the nature of the business if you want to retain/maintain an elevated top line and staffing. You also want to get a firm handle on the competition and see if they are expanding as well. When the contraction invariably comes there'll be more capacity fighting over a smaller market for sure.

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Hi Freckle

The contraction of planning firms happened in a big way last year, it was one year too far for many.  

It may happen again, but I am taking advantage of this contraction to expand in these areas.

We do jobs for a couple of architects all over Qld so could push those areas if it contracted again.

Plus my business structure is very efficient and flexible

But I always appreciate hearing others, especially the cautious opinions.  Thanks for your feedback.

regards

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    RPI wrote:
    Hi Freckle

The contraction of planning firms happened in a big way last year, it was one year too far for many.  

I started in heavy construction when I was 16. I don't think I've ever known a time when the building industry wasn't flying or crashing.

Quote:
    It may happen again, but I am taking advantage of this contraction to expand in these areas.

Nothing wrong with that. Leapfrog on the demand surges. You do need a long strategy though to ensure you capture market share in growth phases and not volume share only. You also need a counter-balancing strategy when demand falls off. This might involve diversification into other planning centric activities or alternately activities with a flatter demand profile to even out revenues and staffing efficiency issues.

Quote:
    We do jobs for a couple of architects all over Qld so could push those areas if it contracted again.

One thing you should look at is business size and service (inventory) offerings. It's very hard for a small business (3 seats) to cope with market/economic fluctuations and continue growing as opposed to say 50 seats and diversified expertise. As a small business you might want to look at collaborative business approach through formal business partnerships with like minded and complimentary businesses. It's a sum of the parts are greater than the whole approach to enhancing survivability.

Quote:
    Plus my business structure is very efficient and flexible

Definitely good but as you grow these attributes can be lost without good forward planning.

Quote:
    But I always appreciate hearing others, especially the cautious opinions.  Thanks for your feedback.

Have you thought about overseas branches? Timor comes to mind as a place with considerable potential for your line of work.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Freckle, have you or do you run a business? Sounds like you know what your talking about. You should start up a business mentoring role. Could even be done online.

Blocked
    @freckle

Been shaggin' around with businesses for the last 30 odd years Joe. My Maltese daughter-in-law calls me Wiki.. I've coached a few businesses over the years. Usually people I know who've fallen in a hole and can't figure a way out.

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Cheers Freckle

I am heading for 20 years of business experience to varying degrees at varying times Some businesses making hundreds of thousands are a year, a couple that cost me dollars.  Wife has been a planner since 1997 so seen some ups and downs.  Timor would be interesting but would have to see how it ties in with the law practice, I like the way they feed into each other.

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle
    RPI wrote:
    Cheers Freckle

I am heading for 20 years of business experience to varying degrees at varying times Some businesses making hundreds of thousands are a year, a couple that cost me dollars.

I hear ya! The joys of being self employed.

Quote:
    Wife has been a planner since 1997 so seen some ups and downs.

Always good to have reserves on the team. wink (Don't tell her I said that)

Quote:
    Timor would be interesting but would have to see how it ties in with the law practice, I like the way they feed into each other.

JV Partnership come startup (planning, consultancy, legal) with a couple of savvy Timorese law grads?? Base an office in Darwin. I think that's where most of the international companies doing biz in Timor hang out. Lots of expansion both commercial and residential happening there. 

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Hi Freckle

Cheers, sounds interesting.

regards

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

Have you seen this?

Stockland follows Mirvac with warning

Big guys are leaving town. Might be up beat for the small developer though… less competition.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.