All Topics / Help Needed! / Hot apartment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of baconbacon
    Participant
    @bacon

Hi Guys,

Live in Perth which is generally hot in Summer as is. However, I have an apartment in the city which is on the second level and even with aircon on all night is still hot.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice if window tinting of some kind would be the best option or changing blinds etc?

Thanks in advance.

Bacon

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Bacon,

A few people I know use roller shutters to keep the sun out.

If that does not suit maybe look at window tinting, heavier blinds or curtains may help.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Agree with Derek. I like the Window tinting idea, it will also give you privacy.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Bacon,

As an addendum – if you go down the window tinting route you'll be able to get darker tint than that you can install in a car. Motor vehicle standards will not apply to a unit window,

Don't forget though that summer is only three months of the year and there are times of the year in Perth when you'll appreciate some extra warmth. My preference would be for something that you can open/close.

Knowing how intense the afternoon summer sun can be in Perth is my personal preference would be roller shutters. Building by-laws may determine whether or not you can install these though.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    Quote:
    even with aircon on all night is still hot.

Which suggests thermal loading during the day and convective heat are the primary problems.

Not an unusual problem in inner city apt's. The main culprit is that the shear volume of thermal mass within a city magnifies the heat. So roads, masonry and metal materials all collect and store heat during the day. At night those materials reverse that cycle releasing it back at you. 

Once your apt's thermal properties have been loaded up it's an expensive job to reduce the thermal load with ac's unfortunately. I suspect shading will only partially solve your problem as that only addresses the radiant heat portion of the problem. 

Fans and a bigger ac are your only option if shading can't reduce heat build up enough.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Bacon.

Is the a/c working properly ?

Firstly, is it rated as big enough for the size of the apartment ? Are the filters and especially rotary fan blades clean and dust free ? It's amazing the difference in temp achievable when filters and rotary fan blades are cleaned, especially if they're partly clogged.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I had  a hot apartment once I rented many years ago. My bedroom windows were on the sunny side and it would get extremely hot in the morning and during the day. I just used cheap all black paper blinds. It helped to keep the heat out. You also might want to check your AC as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.