All Topics / Help Needed! / Question on tax and cash flow positive property

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of SabbathenSabbathen
    @sabbathen

Hi,

I am a new investor pretty keen to jump into my first cash flow positive property.

I think i've found a couple of cash flow positive properties that look ok on paper(using Steve's 1% rule). However whilst they are cash flow positive, they are only positive by a small amount(say $200-$500 a year). My question is what expenses related to owning a cash flow positive property are tax deductible? As this may in fact make the deal look significantly better. Or have I missed a secret, if its only after some tax deductions that the property returns a decent profit then it's probably not worth it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi and welcome aboard

All the holding costs and expenses associated with the property will be deductible – that includes the interest on the loan, property management fees, maintenance costs, insurances, borrowing costs, depreciation, etc.

Don't jeopardise capital gain in return for a small positive cashflow though. Without some sort of capital gain – it will be difficult to grow a decent portfolio.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

It's great that the property is cashflow positive however also have a strategy for the Capital Growth. The last thing you want is to hit the 'equity' wall.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of P@ttyP@tty
    @p-tty

Hi Sabbathen,

The ATO have published a rental property document with some information regarding your question. I have attached the link below.

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/ind00313554n17290612.pdf

Patty 

Profile photo of P@ttyP@tty
    @p-tty

Sorry the above link is a 40 page PDF. This is the link for the website if preferred http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00313554.htm&page=2&H2

Profile photo of Daneo79Daneo79
    Participant
    @daneo79

Jamie M wrote:

Hi and welcome aboard

All the holding costs and expenses associated with the property will be deductible – that includes the interest on the loan, property management fees, maintenance costs, insurances, borrowing costs, depreciation, etc.

My Question:

Do the tax deductions apply when the property is set up through a trust structure?

Where can I find information about what can/cannot be claimed through a trust structure?

Participant
    @jamie-m

You'll need to have a chat with an accountant – there's different trust types with different taxation considerations. If you're in Syd, get in touch with Terry W.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of SabbathenSabbathen
    @sabbathen

Thanks for all the replies, this is a great forum.

@sabbathen

Rather than start a new topic I was hoping I could get some opinions and guidance on this situation to see if I am on the right path.

Using Steve's 1% rule I have started to short list potential cash flow positive properties but upon further inspection it seems I am still way off returning a profit.

Example below:

I can borrow at 5.54% so my 1% rule should be 6.54% minimum

Expected annual rent of $15600 divided by asking price of 229000(hypothetically even if this property could be bought for 200k it still seems to be making a loss) multiplied by 100 gives me 6.81%

When I start to minus strata costs, rates, loan repayments(based on 80% LVR) and property management it completely destroys any positive cash flow.

Is this where tax deductions on owning the investment property come into play? Should I be including them in my number crunching because at the moment I am finding all the deals i'm looking at aren't even getting close to being neutral.

Again thanks in advance for any advice.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

When we do cashflow analysis we take into consideration the following:

1. Strata (if its a unit)

2. Building Insurance (if its a house)

3. Interest payable on the loan including annualised fees 

4. Property Management Fees

5. Water Rates (if its a unit)

6. Council Rates

We don't take into consideration:

1. Drop or increase in interest rates

2. Depreciation

3. Negative gearing

4. Vacancy periods

5. General Maintenance/Repairs

We also take into consideration the whole purchase price (minus any grants) when calculating the loan repayments instead of just the loan itself.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of RPIRPI
    Participant
    @rpi

Hi

Welcome to the forum,

Don't forget depreciation. A depreciation report will help maximise your deductions.

Trust type depends greatly on state property is in.  Using a discretionary trust in NSW at the moment will make your land tax bill wipe out the cashflow.

In a unit or discretionary trust structure, you can not get at the losses personally,  you distribute profits.  If you are not an employee there can be ways to make use of the losses in a trust.

D

RPI | Certus Legal Group / PRO Town Planners
    http://www.certuslegal.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Lawyer & Town Planner

Participant
    @jamie-m
    Sabbathen wrote:

When I start to minus strata costs, rates, loan repayments(based on 80% LVR) and property management it completely destroys any positive cash flow.

Are you using another loan to cover the the purchase/deposit? If so, you should base the repayments on 100% plus costs. 

As mentioned above, depreciation is a huge deduction that should be taken advantage of.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

@sabbathen

Thanks Jamie,

No I would only be looking to borrow 80% of the purchase price to avoid mortgage insurance, I have the cash for deposit and closing costs.

Cheers.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

When I analyse a property, I look at :

Property Management fees

Water bills

Council rates

Insurance

Gardener

Strata fees (if applicable)

Annual maintenance allowance

Annual vacancy allowance

Mortgage interest and fees

Depreciation allowances

Negative gearing if applicable

If purchasing inside a SMSF I also factor in:

Annual accounting and ASIC fees

Death & TPD insurance covering SMSF members

Member contributions

I factor in annual price hikes for each of the bills, as well as rent hikes, as well as factor in the offset account balance – so I can see when a property will be paid off (ie when the balance in the offset account is equivalent to the original loan amount, and therefore the interest payable becomes zero)

I also take a look at the whole portfolio as an aggregate (all totalled up together) to understand what the overall picture looks like (eg one property might be cashflow positive but becomes neutral if it is supporting) and factor in tax payable.  All that allows me to see precisely how much more property a person would need to acquire to eventually be able to live off the rent surpluses, and  when that magical day will arrive.

smiley

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of AdminAdmin
    Participant
    @admin

Hi Sabbathen, I would like to help you answer some questions. If you would like to call me on 03 8892 3800 (PropertyInvesting.com Office), I will try to assist. Regards, Jason

Profile photo of EmilEmil
    @emil

Hi,

I want to give you some examples from our company's financial department, so you can have an overall picture on what to expect in terms of expenses and incomes.

Project: Sunset Dreams – Rosebery suburb (Palmerston)

Median price $429,000

Median weekly rental $490

Body corporate costs per week $63

Tax savings $9,000 per year

Project: Evolution on Gardiner (Darwin CBD)

Prices from $955,000

Cash flow projection:

1. Cash Inflow

– Apartment Rent: $67,165

– Tax Refund: $8,834

2. Cash Outflow

– Body corporate: $6050

– Insurance: $270

– Interest – Loan: $52,197

– Management Fees: $4,702

– Rates & Taxes: $1,070

– Repairs & Maintenance: $1,500

NET INCOME: $10,211

Regarding depreciations and tax savings, for maximum benefits you should definitely consult a professional. We work with Rider Levett Bucknall, they provide excellent capital allowance reports.

Cheers,

Emil

http://www.sunbuildinvest.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I must admit it the property is only slightly positively geared when you are putting in 20% deposit then i think i would walking away from the deal.

LMI is an opportunity cost and can certainly enable you to expand your portfolio quicker than saving up a 20% deposit each and every time.

It is also a loan cost and therefore deductible over the the term of the loan or 5 years whichever is the shorter.

Many new investors don't fully understand loan structuring and make basic mistakes which can often not be unravelled.

If you are merely looking for cash flow and nothing else then why not balance a buy and hold portfolio with a couple of deals sold on an installment contract basis.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.