All Topics / Help Needed! / Keeping or selling an Investment property

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of lukey30lukey30
    @lukey30

Hi all, looking for some help.
    I have an investment property that I would like some thoughts on.
    My wife and I are looking to buy a house as we are expecting our first child this year.

The Investment property has an approximate value of $290-$300,000. Mortgage is approx $130,000

Our PPOR is a 2 br villa unit. Worth approximate $450,000, mortgage about $390,00.

At this stage we are looking to sell the investment property and then our villa as we are looking to buy a house worth between $550-$600,000 and I don’t know that it would be possible to do so and keep our investment.
    We have a combined income of around $160,000 a year.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Lukey

Congrats on the pending arrival – I'm in the same boat, ours is due in April – it's an exciting time!

I'd consider a few things.

Firstly, are the two properties going to make good investments in the longer term? Are there any growth drivers in the area that will see them perform?

Will your combined income be $160k after bub arrives or will it drop as your partner takes some time off work? If so, I'd base any workings on the lower income.

If you think the properties will do well over time and feel that you'll be able to service all debts – then I personally would look to hold (especially given the current state of most markets at present). 

It looks like you have enough equity up your sleeve to keep the IPs and purchase a new PPOR. But again, you don't want to do this at the risk of struggling to meet your liabilities. 

Best to get a professional to do some number crunching for you and discuss your options.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree with what Jamie said… if you can hold onto them without causing yourself grief, that'd be the go.

Why not give Jamie a buzz and ask him to crunch the numbers for you.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of pratypraty
    @praty

Well first congratulations !

Secondly, i would suggest to work out some numbers and if you would be able to pay off both for your new home and your investment properties after having baby then definetly keep them, else i would suggest to mortgage one of it.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Having kids is a great thing and will change your life for the better

The only comment I would add would be is your investment property in a strong growth area. Just keeping a property because you can should not be the only reason

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of lukey30lukey30
    @lukey30

Thanks for the replies. The main reason we are looking to sell is that we don’t think the bank will give us a loan if we still have $130,000 owing on our IP if we chose to keep it. Not entirely sure how equity works but don’t know if the bank would be willing to give us a loan of $500-550,000 or even if we could comfortably pay it after having a baby.

Basically we want to spend $550-$600,000 on a house. Selling both properties will hopefully allow us to have a mortgage of no more than $400,000. Selling the villa and trying to keep the apartment might be tougher as it will involve borrowing more money than we already have now. I would really like to keep it but I think for the sake of having a bigger place, selling could be the go. It’s a one bedroom apartment and it’s slightly positively geared.

Profile photo of lukey30lukey30
    @lukey30

Thanks for the replies. The main reason we are looking to sell is that we don’t think the bank will give us a loan if we still have $130,000 owing on our IP if we chose to keep it. Not entirely sure how equity works but don’t know if the bank would be willing to give us a loan of $500-550,000 or even if we could comfortably pay it after having a baby.

Basically we want to spend $550-$600,000 on a house. Selling both properties will hopefully allow us to have a mortgage of no more than $400,000. Selling the villa and trying to keep the apartment might be tougher as it will involve borrowing more money than we already have now. I would really like to keep it but I think for the sake of having a bigger place, selling could be the go. It’s a one bedroom apartment and it’s slightly positively geared.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Lukey

A good mortgage broker will be able to look at the numbers and determine what the bank would say, even before you submit an application.  That's one of the very nice things about brokers smiley

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Lukey

If the main reason for selling up is doubt that the bank will front up with the funds for a new PPOR then definitely consult a decent finance person. If you're comfortable with using email/phone, you can choose your broker from anywhere in the country.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.