All Topics / Help Needed! / Newcomb – Ex-Commission Homes vs. Private Home OR Hastings!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of LC888LC888
    @lc888

Hi All,

I recently bought a house at Hastings after reading about the Port Hastings project (been working overseas for almost 6 yrs and first year living in Victoria, hence, a bit behind with all the latest developments etc.). 

I would like to continue investing but am thinking if I should buy a second property at Hastings or invest at Newcomb considering the government is injecting $5B in infrastructure development. So, my first question is – a second investment property at Hastings or diversify geographically and invest at Newcomb?

Secondly, after inspecting a few properties at Newcomb today, I can get a 6.2% return on an ex-commission home and 5.4% on a private house. The private house has a larger land size by approximately 180sqm but is also $60K more expensive. By land area, the private house is cheaper; however, I am worried that there won't be much capital gain on the private house as the price is higher than the median price for that area. I guess my questions relating to Newcomb are:

1. Percentage wise, would the private house has better capital gain in the future (say 20 years) compared to the ex-commissioned home?

2. As the private house is being sold above the area median price, is there a risk of the property depreciating in cost in 20 years?

My partner is from Germany and he keeps worrying me about the 'bubble' bursting for Australia as we were not much affected by the GFC and the day will come for Australia like in the US where property prices have plummeted tremendously. What's everyone's thought on this? At the least, I can hold my investment properties for a minimum of 10 years.

Thanks for you advice!

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

It's like any other suburb.  There are streets that are more desirable than others.  There are a lot of houses in commission areas and it takes a long time before all the owners of them get around to prettying up their houses.  You can only control how nice your house looks… not the rest of the street owned by other houses.  This is not to say that purchasing a commission home is a bad investment, I am simply trying to point out to you why there will always be a price difference between some streets.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of LC888LC888
    @lc888

Thanks for your response JacM.

% wise, do you think the ex-commission homes will make the same capital gains as privately owned homes?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Don't know… it's a piece of analysis I've not delved into before.  However you can force your own capital growth with renovation, thereby manufacturing immediate equity…

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.