All Topics / Help Needed! / NRAS for Dole/low income earners?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of aussieguy2000aussieguy2000
    Participant
    @aussieguy2000

Hi,

I have previously looked into NRAS properties and am not looking at buying one right now, but would consider it in the future.

I have a neighbour who are on Centrelink payments and haven't worked for as long as I know, and they are claiming they are eligible to NRAS because they meet the income requirements for it. They are looking for a property north of Brisbane and say that they have already submitted paperwork for NRAS and been accepted. (This guy can bull**** a lot and I take most of what he says at face value – but he seems convinced he can get it).

I have not been able to find anything that EXPLICITLY says you have to be of a certain type of employment to get it, only that you have to earn less than the amount specified to be able to rent it.

Does anyone know if this is correct, that a person living on purely Government/Centrelink hand outs is able to rent a NRAS property, as for what I can see, this defeats the purpose of NRAS providing affordable living to service providers such as nurses and teachers etc who would live in the area for work purposes.

If anyone can post a link to something that states this is correct/incorrect that would be great also, and are you able to choose your tenant for NRAS (can I refuse someone on unspecified grounds, yet accept a nurse or teacher who earns a half decent income or do I get whoever is place in the house, which makes it a potential defacto houso property if you can't?).

Profile photo of mick64mick64
    Participant
    @mick64

Hi Aussieguy.

Her is a link as requested, however  when I was looking at purchasing an NRAS property the marketing spin was that preferred tenants are teachers, police, nurses etc etc…….no mention of welfare recipients meeting the criteria.

But at the end of the day the landlord still chooses who they will allow in their property.

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/resources/housing/renting/nras-prospective-tenants.pdf

Profile photo of wendywoowendywoo
    @wendywoo

Aussieguy,

I have an NRAS house in Queensland. When it was ready for a tenant last year, the property manager told me that there is a long list of applicants but many of them are rejected for NRAS as they are social housing applicants.  I think from memory she said that the way the charities who organise tenants are set up, there was not a way to separate nras/social housing applicants so they all wound up on the same waiting list. I may have the details slightly wrong, it was 15 months ago!

In any case, the property manager said that they look for tenants who are in employment, with good rental history, references etc.  I'm certainly very happy with my tenant.

Profile photo of wendywoowendywoo
    @wendywoo

Also, all the details of the tenant were sent to me and I was able to give my approval or otherwise for that person.

Profile photo of captkirk666captkirk666
    Participant
    @captkirk666

extract from FACSIA NRAS Performance report:

2011-12 Tenant Data: (new information)

Note: Tenant Data is collected annually at the end of each NRAS year (ending 30 April).

Approved NRAS Participants are required to submit Tenancy Demographic Data (TDA) as part of their end of year reporting requirements. 7,758 TDA were analysed for the NRAS year 1 May 2011 to 30 April 2012. Note that tenants may fall under multiple or no options; therefore the figures may not add up to the total number of occupants.

The key observations resulting from this analysis are:

Occupant Demographics

 Number of occupants: 15,719

 Occupants identifying as Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander descent: 701

 Persons with a disability: 1,425

 Sole Parents: 1,830

 Couples: 1,782

 Children (under 17): 5,115

 Mature age Australians

o (55 – 64): 768

o (65 years and over): 1,112

Occupant Income Sources

 Private sector wages: 2,979

 Public sector wages: 659

 Community sector wages: 255

 Self-employed: 209

 Superannuation or annuity: 45

 Government pensions and allowances: 5,181

 Other sources: 1,570

Occupant Employment

 Reported as employed: 4,777

 Reported as unemployed: 2,322

 Reported as full time students: 4,268

Previous Living Arrangements

 Renting through real estate: 6,078

 Renting from State/Territory housing authority: 943

 Living with family/friends: 3,560

 Previously owned or purchasing own home: 320

 Homeless: 382

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.