All Topics / General Property / Which area for NSW IP’s

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of andyk12andyk12
    Participant
    @andyk12

Hi all,

After following PI.com threads for a while, I thought it's time to do something more than simply read about other's experiences, so I've been looking at properties in various areas of NSW, primarily Muswellbrook, Parkes and just out of Newcastle (Adamstown through to Maitland).

I've narrowed my thoughts down to 3-4 BR houses (happy to hear other thoughts), and would love feedback on those areas for rental capacity and Cap growth over the next few years as I'm a Vic boy so don't carry much local knowledge.

Areas within those towns/suburbs to avoid would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Profile photo of MysteryMystery
    Participant
    @mystery

Andyk12, ……

I don't have the answers to your questions, but I do have some for you :

– have you spoken to any property managers to see what type of property is most in demand for rental in the various areas before you buy? you mention 3 or 4 bedroom, but have you researched.

– What have you found out from your own research about vacancy rates and capital growth

– Is there currently capital growth happening, if so what is driving it.

– Is there any new infrastructure projects in the pipeline or recently completed

– is the population increasing or stagnant

– what is the unemployment rate and average wage

– what is the long term predictions for each area

– what attracted you to those locations in NSW

– is the mining in those areas local people or predominately FIFO

– what is the current demand for properties on sale at present, … are they selling quickly or sitting on the market for a while

I understand that you have asked for opinions, but the quickest way to understand the market you want to invest in is to source the information yourself and get a real feel for a location…. I don't know these areas you mentioned and I'm sure someone here will answer your questions in detail, but if you can track down much of this information yourself it will give you certainty in your decision. By relying on others opinions you are putting your decision in other people hands.

I'm honestly not being rude or unhelpful, but I spent the past 6 months this year researching several locations in Victoria and NSW before making an informed decision and bought an IP in Goulburn… I took time to visit each location on my list by driving thousands of kilometers, spoke to locals, spoke to agents and PM's, local council town planners, drove streets, talked to business people, chatted to builders, inspected many properties and read and researched on the net before making an informed decision …  It's all part of gaining an understanding of what drives a particular location and if it's suited to your investment style.

I wish you well on your journey

Mystery

PS … Grab a copy of the Margaret Lomas book, …. something along the lines of "20 questions you need to ask before buying" (I can't remember the title exactly). It will give you the tools to make an informed decision.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Andy,

I have read in a few places that the growth in the Hunter region has slowed and I also have a friend who is a mortgage broker in Maitland and she says that she is taking her clients interstate (even SA) to find property. 

Not saying its a bad place but do a bit of research and perhaps talk to a few of the local agents.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.