Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

For those of you who are would be tenants – see attached article which outlines a rental scam doing the rounds. I understand this may have been discussed before but there certainly are advantages to renting off a real estate agent or, at worst, making sure you are talking to the real owner.

Read article here

Why aren't I clever enough to think of these little projects :)

Profile photo of shereebeckershereebecker
    @shereebecker

Omg Derek this has happened to me!! Lol I had some scammer, probably one of those Nigerians copy my renatl ads on gumtree with different rental figures more than once. I think gumtree have cleaned this up a lot now though.

CheersShereeSheree

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

I am amazed at the 'gutsiness' of some of these people. Must admit my mind never drifts into these zones.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

This is very common in London.  Basically they are cashing in on high demand, and an influx of people with few street-smart skills coming in from countries where people are not as opportunistic.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of aussieguy2000aussieguy2000
    Participant
    @aussieguy2000

Sounds like its well overdue for schools to teach "life skills" so people can learn some basics of life, we have plenty of "smart people" with no street sense and it's really bad to see someone ripped off because they didn't know any better

Profile photo of dahanadaidahanadai
    @dahanadai

Scammers always seem to be able to weasel their way into people live's. It pays to be extra cautious. If anything seems out of context, most likely there's something wrong. Be cautious and be smart.

@derek
    aussieguy2000 wrote:
    Sounds like its well overdue for schools to teach "life skills" so people can learn some basics of life, we have plenty of "smart people" with no street sense and it's really bad to see someone ripped off because they didn't know any better

Hi Aussie,

Hear what you are saying.

As former school principal I can assure you that many teachers are insulated from the real world and could only relate to this sort of stuff on a theoretical level. For example I often see, on different forums,  comments like ' schools should teach financial education.'

Trouble is I have seen the financial situation of many teachers. Their lack of a sound financial base shows many don't have a great understanding of financial matters. The security derived from earning a regular wage, paid every fortnight without variation for 52 weeks of the year can be deceptive.

Sure there are exceptions but in the main ……………..  

Participant
    @jacm
    Derek wrote:

Good call Derek.  As you have previously been a school principal, can you provide some insight into how to make this happen?  I'm keen on doing my bit towards giving school children a bit of financial education, but the life skills thing is another area that is lacking.

Why isn't anyone teaching this?

Email Me | Phone Me

@derek
    JacM wrote:
    Derek wrote:

Good call Derek.  As you have previously been a school principal, can you provide some insight into how to make this happen?  I'm keen on doing my bit towards giving school children a bit of financial education, but the life skills thing is another area that is lacking.

Why isn't anyone teaching this?

Hi Jac,

Long answer coming up.

Just to make sure we on the same page we probably need to come to a common agreement about we mean by the term 'life skills' – for what it is worth my definition of life skills includes everything from social skills, civics, responsibility, respect, common courtesy, financial management, sex, drug and health ed and so on. 

Education about life skills should come from all sectors of the community rather than a single group such a the school system. Collectively we can wield a positive influence but as individuals (or single groups within the community) we face a daunting task.

In my opinion each sector of the community is now relying upon others to do what used to be their responsibility with the consequential breakdown with the end result lots of people (as a general term) don't do their fair share. 

In past kids arrived at school reasonably well prepared from a life skills perspective. The school and parents often held similar beliefs about life skill matters and a mutual partnership, with home and school working from the same page reinforced learnings at home and at school. The end result was the kids were well rounded and, in most cases, good citizens when they came out the other end.

Today it is quite a different story. Increasing numbers of kids start school without many of the basics and can start behind the eight ball when the arrive at school. It is not unusual for some kids to start school without knowing what a book looks like, how to have an age appropriate conversation, how to behave suitably in a social situation, or simply how to do their shoe laces. 

As an example the WA Health Dept did an analysis on the effectiveness of heath ed about 20 years ago. They found health ed was a waste of time because what was taught in schools was largely ineffective because of the passive nature of the learning activities but more importantly the 'good health'  messages shared in health ed were not reinforced at home where the behaviour was different to the message.

And therein lies the real issue – the disparity between what 'society' wants and what society 'delivers' in real life education back in the home environment. This is not about who is to blame but rather what the collective 'we' will gain if we are all on the same page.

Having said that schools can, and should, pick up their game too. Some schools do try and provide some entrepreneurial experiences and widespread exposure to life stuff but these are generally offered in the later years of schooling when many habits are embedded in the kids.

I would rather see a review of the curriculum and start throwing stuff out and replacing it with more current and dynamic learning experiences beyond the 3 Rs which currently dominates the education agenda through NAPLAN.

I genuinely wonder how long it will be before society wakes up and realises NAPLAN has an adverse effect on education. The tests tell teachers nothing they did not already know and NAPLAN has now become the curriculum – making it so narrow that the importance of life skills is diminished.

At the same time a new generation of teachers is required – stats show the teaching profession is aging and many have endured countless changes, with questionable benefits, to such an extent they have become tired and dispirited. 

So in answer to your question – I would start with your own kids and make sure they are exposed to the skills you want them to experience. As parent this should be your primary aim – get your kids on the right track and you have fulfilled your parental responsibilities to them. They will then be on the track.

In terms of how can you help the local school – that becomes a little more difficult. Any curriculum changes take years to implement and can generally only be done through state authorities.

If I were you I would grab a copy of the Vic Curriculum (it is probably online somewhere) and look for across the curriculum examples of where life skills makes an appearance. Then see where you could have an input, work out how you make the experiences real life, get a few plans together on paper, and speak to your principal and classroom teacher.

See if you can do some teaching – but even this has become a little more difficult in recent times. Working with children certificates, a crowded curriculum and some intransigence will give you a challenge.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

WOW, nice comments and reply.  This area of social life always fascinates me.  My gut reaction would be it's the parents role to teach life skills and values, and it's parents who need to be educated about imparting these skills if you are to educate anyone.  Schools exist to support the family and provide the more academic and decreasingly available practical aspects of life (think Technical Schools, VCAL etc) that will prepare them for further study or entry to the workforce. Now before I get beat up for focussing on the three r's I realise school and teaching doesn't exist in a social vacuum but that's what the curriculum should be addressing. 

I don't think that precludes 'life skills' being introduced and taught effectively through the school system (as a support to the parents role) but I don't think much of it should be part of the curriculum.  Instead, why can't life skills be taught through how the curriculum is taught.  Think well thought out incursions and excursions, camps, and class projects that require students to learn and develop life skills on the way to meeting academic and technical skills type outcomes.  Why can't more innovative ways to teach 'life skills' co-exist with ensuring kids are well drilled in their rrr's in a classroom?  I just don't think 'educational programmes' are the way ahead.  The less the state formally intervenes in the social aspects of raising a child the better I think.

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

@derek

Hi Andrew,

Some more ramblings.

Education is seen as the panacea for many of society's ills – underage drinking, underage sex, road accidents and so on. Many sectors of society expect this stuff to 'taught; by schools. In many cases the material is 'taught' in schools at the same time as increasing numbers of children 'experience' something different at home and in their social network.

It is a fact of life that there will always be some kids who don't do so well at the 3 X Rs. Unfortunately the ever-changing world we live now exposes their lack of prowess in these key areas through reduced work experiences and opportunities.

You will also find teachers excursions etc now because (certainly in WA) there is an increased, and unreasonable expectation placed upon teachers to risk assessment plan for numerous contingencies when venturing outside the school yard.  I personally know numerous teachers who no longer go outside the fence because of the additional requirements placed upon them to risk assess everything. Having said that 'risk assessment' is part and parcel of many people's working lives now and it has become an unbearable cross to bear.

For example I was speaking with a fire manager with Department of Conservation (WA) the other day and we were talking about plannign hazard reduction burns (I am also a Volunteer Fire Control Officer in my local area) and his risk assessment now runs to 60 pages and two weeks of work and the risk assessment gets passed through countless hands before the burn is approved.

Now a lot of this extra work is attributable to the Margaret RIver fires of last year when a burn escaped. The trouble is the knee jerk reaction has created a double edged sword that will have a different effect on the community over time. 

But back on topic – good teachers can do a lot of what you are suggesting. The key is that teachers should be allowed to teach and parents should work with the school (and not against the school as can be the way) and we will all benefit.

Cheers

Profile photo of itsandrewitsandrew
    Participant
    @itsandrew

Thanks for your insight Derek.

It seems strange that teachers can choose not to do something that is so valuable for children by taking them out of the school as part of their education.  Perhaps that should be a formal part of their role.  Having said that it sure is crazy to hamstring teachers with over burdensome red tape and put them in such a position that it makes it almost impossible to do it.  But why should that stop creativity within the fences.  For example, why not have financial studies/Accounting students run stock take of the school canteen or help run the second hand uniform shop.  Food Tech students supply the snacks/sandwiches for school board meetings.  You have to work in a team, work to a deadline, do things you don't like, work with people you don't like etc.  I believe there's things that you can do to engage students within the curriculum in ways that will introduce them to new life skills that won't compromise their learning.  Hey, I'm rambling too!

itsandrew

Go as far as you can see and you will see further.

@derek

Tis a crazy world we all operate in now – that is for sure.

Slightly off topic but related to the discussion.

I was reading an online article earlier today which outlined some recent research into kids 'readiness for school'

To all parents of pre-school age kids, in particular, please read the article, and do something about helping your kids get ready for school. It will help them enormously. Here is the article.

Most pre-primary/kindergarten/pre-school teachers can identify which kids are at risk very early in the year. Chances are those kids at risk in pre-school will struggle throughout their schooling.

Governments could help out by investing more funds into early education areas (a bit like preventative maintenance) than the current approach of throwing more money at the other end. But that thinking is long term and not the quick fix required by political parties. 

Profile photo of ygue6072ygue6072
    Participant
    @ygue6072

This is very interesting… in NSW the government does throw money at Early Intervention Programs and as part of my job I go into schools, pre-schools and childcare centres and do Protective Behaviours with the kids… the only problem is it is only so effective if it isn't followed up at home. I think it's unrealistic to ask educators to keep increasing what they teach children because what they learn at school HAS to be cemented at home otherwise it's pointless. In pre-school I can spot the children whose parents do the follow up work at home because they are the ones who understand the concepts at the end of the three weeks and they are the ones who remember the concepts when we do follow ups.

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Speaking of scammers, is it just me or am i the only one winning $100 million every week in a online lotto draw? Surely i can't be that lucky!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Not only are there the lotteries but I get contacted by many sons/daughters of XXXXX who was killed but have been entrusted with $Millions.

Why me? Have I got LO$ER tattooed on my email address?

Profile photo of jmsracheljmsrachel
    Participant
    @jmsrachel

Lol I get that too scott. I wonder if people actually fall for it?

Participant
    @jacm

I too have been inheriting lots of cashola from long lost relatives lately.  I hadn't realised I was related to so many wealthy Nigerian bankers.  Odd… pity it isn't true… perhaps then I wouldn't be blessed with such pasty white skin!

Email Me | Phone Me

@derek

Seems ASIC is making moves to provide an educational course on financial skills which goes as low as 8 year olds.

Link to an online story here

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Wow, scam is everywhere nowadays, but I probably would not fall for this. Glad many people got suspicious and called the Real Estate Agency to check on it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.