All Topics / Help Needed! / Newbie question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Lb 75Lb 75
    Participant
    @lb-75

Hi guys 

I hope this isn't a silly question but I'm 

Just wondering if there is anything I need to do,or should do before I start to rent out my ppor 

I have bought a house  and I intend to live in it for the 6 months then rent it out.I have an IO loan with an off set account.

Now im just wondering if I need to inform someone that this property is now aninvestment and not my ppor,or do I just leave as is for now.

The reason I ask is I have read that I may be entitled to some tax breaks but I don't really no.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Lb,

Loan structure if fine for the conversion from PPOR to IP.

As far as tax goes – all you need to is keep a record of your expenses and income relating to the property. At the end of the year you include your rental income in your income declaration and can claim your expenses as a deduction.

Suggest you grab a copy of the ATOs Rental Guide

Make sure you take out landlords insurance and get a depreciation report done.

Profile photo of Lb 75Lb 75
    Participant
    @lb-75

Hi Derek

Awesome thanks alot  for that.

Just another quick question or 2 if you don't mind,or anyone else that doesn't mind sharing there knowledge,

Who would I get to do a deprecation report?

And when would I get that done?eg before I rent property out or at the end of every tax year?

Also if I want to do improvements to property can I do them while I have moved in then claim expenses back through tax?or should I do them when tenant is in.

Improvements like paving and carport?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi LB,

There are a number of companies that provide depreciation reports. Deppro, Washington Brown, Depreciator, BMT are some of the bigger companies. Give them a call and get quotes etc.

The depreciation report is prepared by a quantity surveyor and will have a 40 year (from date of build) life span in most cases. When speaking to the quantity surveyor. They will also be able to advise when it is best to get the report done. 

You cannot claim improvements as a tax deduction – they are depreciable but not deductible like repairs.

If you make a like for like repair then that is a deductible expense – if you make an improvement (new carport & paving) then you will be able to depreciate the value of  the work done. Speak to the Quantity Surveyor about this too – they may suggest getting the work done before you get your depreciation report done.

Worst case scenario keep your receipts and use that to make your depreciation claim – typically this would be around 2.5% of value over 40 years for a carport and/or paving. 

Reality is you may get better benefit (increase in value and/or rent returns) from doing the work now rather than trying to crib a few dollars on your tax return.  

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Depending on the state you may be required to pay land tax so you'll need to advise the state revenue office that its a rental.

cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Lb 75Lb 75
    Participant
    @lb-75

Hi Derek 

thanks again for your very informative reply,I really appreciate it,same goes to you Jamie.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.