All Topics / Finance / Help – Using equity to purchase family home

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of doublejydoublejy
    @doublejy

Hi ,

Need some clarity on using equity in my IP to purchase family home. 

To give you a bit of background, my IP is valued at $475K and currently owes $325K with the rental payments covering the payments on the interest only loan

My wife and myself are looking at purchasing our first home together as a PPOR. Our combined income after tax is 8000K per month, and currently have $30K saved

I've tried to research online on how equity works, but still a unclear… Can you help clarify for us?

For example, say we are looking at purchasing a 680K PPOR,

1. My current understanding is that I currently have $150K in equity.

2. The bank would lend us 80% of the value of  the property which would equal 544K. So using the equity I have in my IP $150K + 6K from savings) it would cover the costs the total cost to purchase the property (680+20K give or take)

3. Meaning I would have a total loan amount of  544K-24K (6K used up from the 30K savings) = $520K

Is this accurate on how equity works? So if we are able to service the loan (520K) the banks will approve?

All information will be much appreciated

Thanks,

-J

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi J

Welcome aboard.

In answer to your questions.

1. You have $150k of "actual" equity. However, the bank won't let you access all of that. They will let you either access up to 80% of the properties value ($55k) or possibly up to 90% ($102k) depending on the lender.

2. No. You don't have as much "useable" equity than you thought. Taking the example above, if the lender allows you to go up to 90% of your properties value ($102k) then you would use these funds to cover the deposit/purchase costs on your next PPOR and then you would borrow the rest. Let's say $34k (which is 5% of $680k) gets swallowed up in purchase costs such as stamp duty, legal fees, etc – this will leave you with about $68k to use as a deposit which is 10% of the purchase price.

3. You would have three loans set up:

Current PPOR

Loan 1: Current PPOR loan of $325k

Loan 2: Equity release of $102k

New PPOR

Loan 3: IP loan of $612k

I haven't run an assessment on your servicing – but this is how the structure looks.

Structure this correctly from the start. The info above is very general and there's lots to be considered here and chances are, if you deal directly with a bank or a mediocre broker, you'll end up with a mess of a structure.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of doublejydoublejy
    @doublejy

Thanks Jamie

So depending on the lender , and should it be 90% – Would I need to be able to service 714K? (612 +102 ) ?

Profile photo of doublejydoublejy
    @doublejy

Thanks Shahin,

So the only way to keep em separate is if I dont use the equity in my IP ?

I would have to come up with an 113K in savings in order to meet the 80% ratio.. 

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi Jay,

At an 80% lend you have $55,000 in equity and at a 90% lend you have $102,500 in equity plus your savings.

Keep the securities and the facilities separate.

If you are purchasing a PPOR for $680k and you want to aviod LMI (and you would want to as its not tax deductible) then you will require at least $163k (depending on which State you are in). This will ensure that your LVR is 80%. 

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

You can still use the equity in the IP and get the securities separate. So your IP will have one loan for the IP itself with account number 'abc' in the amount of $325k and a second account number 'xyz' in the amount of $102,500. The $102,500 will be used as a deposit for the PPOR purchase. Also if you are going to go LMI (which you will need to) do it on the IP loan as you will up for less LMI than if you did it on the PPOR loan. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

No – you can keep them separate with the structure I outlined above.

Yes – depending on the lender, a 90% equity release on your current property might be possible.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi doublejy

Sounds to me like you are getting a wee confused.

Loan structuring is not easy and expensive when you get it wrong.

Why not shoot Jamie a quick email and get him to work the numbers for you.

Having a good Broker on side can not only save you $ 000 will also give you a sounding board for your investment journey

going forward.

Won't cost anything and you will get professional advice which is more than you will get from your Bank or Banker.

That and he is a top bloke too boot.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.