All Topics / Help Needed! / strata fee in a complex of apartment and townhouse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of dc99dc99
    @dc99

Hi,

I purhcase a townhouse in a complex of 23 townhouse (2 rows of buildings) and around 55 apartment (in one building).

So there are 3 buildings in a complex.

Garage is underneath the buildings (sharing with apartments).

there's a leak on the apartment building (80% of the total work) and some works need to be done at the townhouses (20% of the total work)

strata agent raise a special levy and distribute equally base on property size regardless apartment or townhouse.

hence that i pay a lot much than the apartment owner where the works mostly to fix problem in the apartment building.

So I would like to know if it's fair and common for strata agent to distribute the levy this way?

Thanks,

D

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

If it's all under the one strata then that's the way it is. Sorry. It usually goes on property size.

If it was the other way around would you offer to pay more?

Profile photo of dc99dc99
    @dc99

it's under one strata.

if it's the other way round I don't mind paying more as it's different building.

thanks for the information!

if that's the common practice then I don't mind.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Levies are based on your unit entitlement so of the townhouse has more land (& value) the unit entitlement and your obligation would be larger.

It’s surprising that there aren’t at least 2 schemes for your block ie one for units and one for townhouses.

@dc99

Hi Scott,

So there's possibility for me to challenge the committee to make it 2 schemes for the strata?

With the current problem, do you think I still can raise this in the meeting and ask them to split it?

It's managed by one strata agent, which I assume all under one strata.

d

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I looked at a unit with a similar set up. The unit I wanted to buy was at the front of the block. The block at the back was high rise with lifts and a pool. I dropped out for the exact reason you are having problems with.  I know pools and lifts are expensive and I didn't want to pay for them.

It would be major to split the strata in two. You'd have to get a majority vote and all the people in the apartments won't likely vote for it.

Plus where do you draw the line of ownership? or are they 2 distinct and separate areas (no common driveways etc?

@dc99

Hi Catalyst,

there is common place, eg. driveway, garage, small lanes between buildings.

what i thought with common place is we can split the strata fee based on garage size.

but i don't know if it's acceptable in the practice.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Any way you cut it, it will be an expensive exercise to redo your strata plan to encompass different buildings and common areas. You risk having to do a complete building upgrade to current standards – which nobody is going to be happy about, you will also need to prepare new plans of subdivision, lodge DAs etc. So it is not a small task.

If you were to set one up today on a new building it would possibly be a stratum development with each block and common areas in different stratum.

@dc99

thanks for the info scott!!

the positive side is everyone want this matter to be resolve ASAP. and no one like the idea of spending money too much on special levy.

all we want is spend enough budget to end the problem.

when it's fixed i hope the value of the property increase and i can make profit.

^__^

thanks for responding my thread, scott and catalyst.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.