All Topics / Help Needed! / New property or old for rental investment??

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of knewgirl2012knewgirl2012
    @knewgirl2012

Hi  all, I am wanting to build up my investment portfolio. Had previously thought about buying older cheaper homes, renovating and renting them out. Have now been thinking about the advantages of buying a new home from a newly developed estate and renting that out. My opinion is that the costs would be about the same with the added advantage of not having to renovate (i have no experience and minimal skills in that area). Have been looking at some the newly built homes on some estates. Some come with a clause that the streetscape is also monitored and looked after which as an investor, I find a bonus. I am still in the research stage of this at the moment.

Would be very interested to hear from others what their thoughts are. Thanks in advance …

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi there

If the streetscape is monitored, it is done so at your cost.  Some of the new estates these days…. the entire estate is declared a body corporate and there is an annual body corporate fee.  Yay for you, you get to pay for the maintenance of the footpaths, streetlights, etc… which I thought was covered by your council rates so I guess in a new estate you are paying twice.

Older homes are often on larger blocks which allow you more scope to add improvements.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of knewgirl2012knewgirl2012
    @knewgirl2012

Thanks JacM,

As you have said about the "streetscape"  is an extra fee..

I am trying to balance the convenience of the new estate against buying an older house and renovating,at the moment..any thoughts?

Participant
    @jacm

Hi again

This topic was debated in a separate thread recently.  There are merits in each. 

With older property, the block size is generally bigger, and presuming you pay an appropriate price for the property, you can FORCE equity growth through renovation. 

Quite often new estates go up in value, but not always.  If you buy into one that does, great, you get the equity growth.  Do remember that a lot of other investors think the way you do and you can end up with a lot of empty rental properties in the one area.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Are you in a high tax bracket? As the depreciation allowances on a new building can be a nice carrot. One thing to look out for in new estates is how many houses are being released at once? If they flood the market it could effect prices (which could be good for you buying), but how many would be immediately put up as a rental? If others are slightly better or cheaper it could be vacant for a little while. Depending on the vacancy rate of the area of course.

– Nathan

@knewgirl2012

Cheers, JacM….this is a great site….think I will just keep researching for awhile longer…I was just getting impatient i think…still pretty new at this…thanks for the reply.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi KG,

No need to be hasty – the decision you make will be around for a few years so don't be overly fussed to sign something ahead of time.

Don't forget there is something in between 'needing renovation' and 'brand new' – that is property around 5 yrs of age. After 5 yrs you will get a pretty good feel for how an estate/area will travel and how the neighbourhood is shaping up.  On top of this, generally speaking something around 5 yrs old should still be in pretty good nick too so your maintenance costs etc are still reasonable.

@knewgirl2012

Thanks Nathan,

the estate I have looked at is huge and there is a lot more development going on around it with other unrelated estates about to be released soon.

The area is far northern suburbs of Melbourne. Lots of work going on out there.

I think I have to step back and do more research as my decision was based on more of an emotional tie to the area..lol.

Thanks for the sound advice.

KG

@knewgirl2012

Hi Derek,

sound advice thanks.

I think I am a little impatient and as I said in my reply to Nathan, I have to step back and be careful that the decision is based on emotion.

Very glad I found this site… will do more investigating of it.

KG

Profile photo of N@thanN@than
    Participant
    @n-than

Hi KG,

Yeah I think that is one of the hardest things to do when you first start out… Trying not to get too emotionally attached to a property or suburb and work purely of the numbers. If it is for an investment that is, if for a place to live then that's a different story.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

-Nathan

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi KG,

If you have trouble 'controlling yourself' you might find it beneficial to set yourself some time lines. For example. 

I will spend three months learning about property investing.

I will spend two months finding a location.

I will spend two months finding out about the area.

I will spend 2 months finding a property.

obviously I have made up the numbers here but making haste slowly in property is a wise move.

@knewgirl2012

Thanks to all, great advice.

Participant
    @jacm

I am very wary of the far northern suburbs of Melbourne… those new estates… due to the lack of public transport.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Depends on how far north actually is. Whittlesea is really out of the way, but I can see some prospect with an area such as Epping.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Participant
    @jacm

I'm wary of the areas around Mernda for instance

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

There are benefits to both.

OLD HOMES – By purchasing an older home and renovating you can often buy below the market rate, but then get a good rental return after the renovation. This can lead to increased rental yield and can help you to earn a positive cash flow faster.

By renovating you may also be able to increase the value of your home giving you instant equity.

NEW HOMES – You can claim more depreciation on a new home as all the new items have a lot of value to lose (on paper). This can help you get a greater tax return. However, with new homes you are likely to pay more and thus your rental yield opportunity may be less.

Ryan McLean

http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au

Helping You Invest In Positive Cash Flow Property

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

I myself would HATE to be paying body corporate for a HOUSE!!! That is one of the reason I don't like investing in units. Less control over your property and more costs…lowering your cashflow.

Ryan McLean

http://CashFlowInvestor.com.au

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.