All Topics / Overseas Deals / ARE YOU SEEING WHAT I’M SEEING? A disappearing middle class.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen
    Dubstep wrote:

Mrs Dubs and are about to embark on a 5 week holiday to the US to make the most of it all, just in case

And get a few properties while you're there? Where are you going in the US, if you don't mind my asking?

Ziv Nakajima-Magen | Nippon Tradings International (NTI)
    http://www.nippontradings.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

In my opinion this is already happening in Australia  as well and USA middle class has diminished quiet some time  ago.

Is it a bad thing or good thing? It will depend on how you look at it,

In our business we have experienced something new in the market place, the number of people buying and paying for products via Credit Card, and I am not talking about one credit card  but allot of credit cards.

They use one credit card, it declines so they rip out another one….

Why is this happening?

Two reasons:

Organically: Cost of living in Australia is through the roof  at the moment,  Food, utilities “etc”

Mechanically: People have honestly over committed themselves to so many thing, as an example my wife and I we only have and only need 1 TV even with the price rises in electricity it has not affected us at all.

But in General, most families have one TV per person, one lap top per person, one phone per person no sharing but all per person, then they wonder why they can’t keep up,

Be time they pay their mortgage, personal loans, credit cards, bills, school fees, foxtel and all the other stuff most families are behind.

People have been living a lifestyle that they cant sustain.

Any way that is my two cents worth

Cheers

Johann 

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I agree. I follow American news and this current upcoming Presidential election. It is a real joke to me, Both candidates lie and just try to say whatever their supporters want. Obama says things that poor dying middle class want when Romney says everything that rich 1% want. As I mentioned the history repeats itself and all of us responsible for it because we let it happen…

Profile photo of DubstepDubstep
    Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Ziv,

There is no RE agenda here, this is purely a holiday for the two of us.

All the credit goes to Mrs Dubs for this one, as she has researched, planned, booked and paid for the whole trip while I am just the tourist.

The itinerary goes something like this :

Hawaii,  San Francisco, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego, Las Vegas, Canada ( Niagara falls only ),  New York, Washington DC, Bahamas Cruise, Orlando, Hawaii.

I know we do lots of cool stuff like the San Diego Zoo, Alcatraz, a chopper to the Grand canyon, Disney land, Universal studios, drive down the west coast and other things I cant think of right now.

She has been working on this holiday for about 6 months and has paid for flights, accommodation, insurance and trips for around $15,000.

Any good tips or advise for this trip ?

Profile photo of Ziv Nakajima-MagenZiv Nakajima-Magen
    Participant
    @zmagen

Wicked! Not much of a US expert, sorry. I'd probably stay in NYC the whole time lol.

how long are you going for?

Email Me | Phone Me

Ziv Nakajima-Magen - Partner & Executive Manager, Asia-Pacific @ NTI - Japan Real-Estate Investment Property

Participant
    @dubstep

We are going for 5 weeks  !  !              

Participant
    @zmagen

Wow, sounds more like a 5 month itinerary :)) make sure to get some sleep in between activities…

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

Have to ask, Dub.  Is your username your love for the electronic music genre dubstep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwVhyeXqxIM

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Kyler,

Yes, I,m afraid it is !

Don't hold that against me.

Profile photo of kylermricekylermrice
    Participant
    @kylermrice

Lol, I was just at a electronic festival a couple weeks ago, bass to the face!   What dates are u going to be in the states.  There are some killer festivals on west coast.  I will be going to this one for New Years.

http://www.snowglobemusicfestival.com/

Participant
    @zmagen

Wanna dooooooooof…been far too long :( (psy trance freak personally)

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @dubstep

Hi Kyler,

We leave on the 1st Nov & return 9th Dec, the festival looks good on the promo video, but I think our days are already full on.

Besides I turned 40 this year so I think I'm getting too old for concerts, I do enjoy finding new Dubstep beats on youtube and I'm going through a " Don Paka " phase at the moment. He's great !

Ziv,

Do you mean PSY as in Gangnam style, or PSY as in Psychedelic ?

Gangnam trance ?

Participant
    @zmagen

Psychedelic, yes. Born and raised in Israel, I was jumping and jolting to skazi, asterisk infected mushroom etc before I even knew anything about Australia or real estate except to say "kangaroo" or "mortgage". :) it'd be interesting to hear a trancey version of gangnam style though!

too old for concerts? Say what??? If only I had the time…can't wait for the wee one to hit his teens, so I can retire, then drag him along with me to Koh-pahn-gan or goa (the mrs isn't too keen…)

(hey, admin, appreciate the patience, I'm sure your fingers must be itching to hit the "offtopic" button on this thread… ;)

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle
    zmagen wrote:
    I don't think there's a climax coming or any particular boys club in control, its us getting what we deserve,

This is an example of why your wrong and naive to think it's somehow our (the peoples) fault.

Admiral Dennis Blair, then Director of National Intelligence, said in his 2010 report to Congress….  there was “dangerous nexus” between terrorist groups, organized crime, and the governments of rogue states. Admiral Blair also said that organized crime “almost certainly will increase its penetration of legitimate financial and commercial markets, threatening U.S. economic interests and raising the risk of significant damage to the global financial system.

On July 25, 2011, the White House not only reinforced this assessment, but also issued an unprecedented Executive Order declaring it to be a “national emergency.”

read the full article here

http://vastdom.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/the-miscreants-global-bust-out-chapter_9012.html

Participant
    @zmagen

Freckle, our definitions of legitimacy, rogue governments, organized crime (or even crime generally), terrorism etc are apparently quite different, there isn't going to be a "right" or "wrong" verdict in this discussion, so if you'll excuse me, I'll leave it at that. Feel free to have the last word. :)

Email Me | Phone Me

Blocked
    @freckle

Ziv we come from different perspectives and time zones in our lives. I was like you 30 years ago. You're in the naive optimist stage and that's reinforced by your occupation. You couldn't do it with any conviction if you thought or believed things would turn to custard tomorrow.

The trouble with most optimists, and particularly those who require that outlook as part of a profession, is that they invariably overlook the negatives because that doesn't jive with their predetermined outlook. It would be like a democracy advocate espousing the virtues of communism. Just wouldn't do.

If we were two Jews in Berlin during the 30's I would have packed my bags and skedaddled pronto. Your outlook would have been  it'll be OK we have full employment and no more bread lines. The people are happy and the Jew persecution thing is all a big mistake, you'll see. You'd still be trying to convince yourself of that as they shut the shower doors behind you.

This story repeats itself through out history and among many cultures. We are predisposed to being positive often too our detriment. 

There's a global financial tsunami coming. I can't tell you when or how bad it'll be other than soon and it'll bigger than most can imagine.

If you think we can rack up debt at this rate with a, 'she'll be right mate'  attitude you're dreaming.

Participant
    @zmagen

I actually completely agree with you about debt, wouldn't touch a loan with a ten foot pole. just not about the results of the worlds addiction to it. Where you see apocalypse, I see balance being restored. Sure, it hurts, but its also a necessity. All good ;)

as for the Berlin analogy (I know I said I'd give you the last word, but that one hit a bit too close to home), allow me to contest that, I know what those times were like all too well, having come from a holocaust survivors' family, and believe it or not, it hasn't reduced their optimism, love of life and the human race one bit. My grandparents passed away not with a bitter pessimistic approach like yours, but surrounded by their families, with love and peace, in spite of having gone through the worst imaginable human inflicted catastrophes. I've also, regrettably, had to deal with scumbags that don't give a rats backside for anyone but their own benefit, personal gratification and selfishness, at the expense of others' lives, and still I choose to do the best i can with a smile on my face rather than moan and groan about the horror of it all. So no, it's not age and experience that sets us apart. Just a frame of mind. You choose to let the krap overtake the good you see in the world – I choose otherwise.

you can call people like me blind optimists. Others might label us never give uppers or change enthusiasts. The truth, as in anything, probably lies somewhere in the interim. Everything balances out, as mentioned above.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi zim 

i agree with you on all points 

freckle I also have also of friends who come from a Jewish background

i can tell you one thing. Allot of my freinds had family who survived such dark times by being optimistic

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Blocked
    @freckle

JP I wasn't disputing how a positive mindset can enable you to survive after the event. The analogy was an example of employing a positive mindset inspite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. This isn't about being positive. It's about ignoring negative signals because that may taint one's positiveness. 

I have both a positive and negative outlook on a variety of things. I have a negative view of economies going forward but am positive on the opportunities that may eventuate. I have a hedging strategy in place that could do very well if things turn to custard so I am confident that whichever way things go I will for the most part do alright. 

I consider myself neither a positive or negative person but more along the lines of a realist who can assess situations logically and not be biased by virtue of membership of a particular group like property investors for example. Many of whom believe they have to project a positive outlook to be accepted within their peer group. Those whose careers are dependent upon the PI market are virtually compelled to be optimistic and positive. Negative pessimistic property people tend to not do very well in the industry.

1930/40 Jews paid a horrific price for placing their faith in eternal optimism in the face of compelling reality. That same characteristic is evident today. She'll be right, it won't happen to us, we're different, our leaders will solve the problem, it's fixable nothing to worry about etc etc. 

The 2008 GFC was a look into the future of things to come if you don't fix the system. To date the system is less stable than then, has no solution that can address the problems and systemic risks and is several magnitudes larger than 2008. In the last 5 years we have managed to over commit what limited resources we have just to contain the problem let alone solve it.

Yet it beggars belief that 90% of the sheeple out there still believe that there is a solution around the corner and that if a reset occurs it won't really affect them too much.

Ziv doesn't see the possibility of apocalypse as realistic. The Libyans, Egyptians, Syrians, Greeks, Spanish, and Bahrainis might disagree with him on that. Of course apocalypse is a personal thing. The Syrian with an mortar shell in his back yard probably thinks his world has collapsed. The Greek family living in a shelter might consider their situation a tad apocalyptic. Living in a mid west American town devastated by economic reform and plagued by a dysfunctional local government, crime and drug gangs might seem a little apocalyptic to some.

Then there's the 'bad guys', the shadow players who bring huge financial and influential forces to the big financial game being played out behind closed doors. Ziv doesn't really believe these boggy men exist yet theirs ample evidence they're there and that a financial war is raging behind the scenes along with a cyber war that steals secrets, technology, IP and wealth. Those theaters of war dove tail in with the ideological and religious wars masquerading as a 'war on terror'.

There'll be those who'll look to label me as a conspiracy nut. If so then they'll have to include the major western powers as conspiracy nutters as well because they're committing resources to counter these boggy men Ziv doesn't think exist.

Mark Mitchell makes compelling reading on the subject. His series of articles elaborating on many of these shadow players, their activities, impact on markets, penetration into financial organisations, what governments are doing, etc can be read on The Miscreants’ Global Bust-Out

It'll be an eye opener for many I'm sure.

Participant
    @dubstep
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.