All Topics / Help Needed! / How to turn negative gearing into positive gearing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of davidtsdavidts
    @davidts

Hi all wonderful people,

I am pretty new to property investing. However, I have a IP which I purchased 2 years ago for $440K, and an IO mortgage of $400K. The rental income does not cover the repayments, not by much, but that's ok as I am in the 40% income tax bracket and the negative gearing helps with my tax.

I recently had the property valued and it came in at $500K. Now I have equity in it and I am thinking of taking the equity out to purchase maybe 1 or 2 very cheap IP, assuming I can borrow upto 90%.

My question is, if I am forever leveraging off my IP to purchase more IP I will be forever negative gearing. How do I change this positive gearing so that I have CF+? Eventually I want to live off the CF+.

Thanks.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    davidts wrote:
    My question is, if I am forever leveraging off my IP to purchase more IP I will be forever negative gearing. How do I change this positive gearing so that I have CF+? Eventually I want to live off the CF+.Thanks.

A couple of quick comments.

Rents will rise at some stage in the future at which your existing property will become positive.

If you purchase positively geared property or can make a property positive through improvements and increased rental returns you may find that your new properties are positive and positive to such an extent that they help offset any losses on your existing property.

PS – good result on your existing IP in this market – a great launching pad to build upon your existing property

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi David,

You can borrow up to 90% of the existing property value. Cash flow is very important as part of any investment strategy but please don't lose sight of the Capital Growth potential of a property. It sounds like you need a 5 and 10 year investment strategy plan. This way you can determine what type of properties you need to be chasing and in what price range. Purchasing a few cheap IP's may sound great from a cash flow perspective but there is point purchasing a property for $200k than will be worth $210k in 5 years times. Certainly not saying that this is the case with cheap properties but do your homework re the capital growth potential of a property as much as the cash flow.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    davidts wrote:

I recently had the property valued and it came in at $500K. Now I have equity in it and I am thinking of taking the equity out to purchase maybe 1 or 2 very cheap IP, assuming I can borrow upto 90%.

Hiya – depends on the lender but 90% is possible.

davidts wrote:
    My question is, if I am forever leveraging off my IP to purchase more IP I will be forever negative gearing. How do I change this positive gearing so that I have CF+? Eventually I want to live off the CF+.

Thanks.

I wouldn't look it like that. If you're doing an equity release against IP 1 to fund IP 2 – then I'd assign the loan repayments for that equity release against IP 2 when determining the holding costs.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of davidtsdavidts
    @davidts

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the comment. I am still a bit new to investing. Could you explain to me your comments below:

I wouldn't look it like that. If you're doing an equity release against IP 1 to fund IP 2 – then I'd assign the loan repayments for that equity release against IP 2 when determining the holding costs. 

David

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Davidts, why not drop Jamie a line off forum and get him to sort it out for you.

You certainly will be in good hands.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

This is a good post thank you David, Jamie, Richard and all.

Certainly most of those with negative gearing would like to change it to positive to enjoy that passive income and increase it.

I suggest for the benefit of others equally new to investing or looking to improve their negative gearing position, that you post as much material on here as possible before going offline, or do both. 

Good luck with a great outcome David.

Cheers

thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi David

We use a slightly different method to live off our positive cash flow.  It revolves around 'vendor finance'.

We started out buying properties and selling them with vendor finance, to create positive cash flow to support our buy and hold portfolio.  This gave us the result we wanted but ultimately the cash flow created from the vendor finance properties was sufficient to support our buy and hold portfolio and our lifestyle, i.e. we now live off it.

If you do a search for vendor finance on the forum you'll find quite a lot of posts on the subject.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi David,

A comment that may be of some assistance to you.

If your property is negatively geared then you may wish to consider completing a PAYG Withholding Tax Variation which when combined with a depreciation report (if relevant) may provide some short term cashflow relief.

Your first post indicates your cashflow is 'OK' but you may wish to give some thought to to depreciation and PAYG tax variation if you haven't already.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.