All Topics / Help Needed! / Atlanta buyers agent upfront costs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of labradorinlovelabradorinlove
    @labradorinlove

I’m about to sign up with a buyers agent in Atlanta.

I just wanted to run the contract past everyone to make sure the agreement seems reasonable.

I know you folks are busy but I would be super grateful if you could read over this and tell me if you think it sounds fair?

I have to pay cash upfront to engage his services.

I am sorry this is confusing you – but NO, I do not charge a Retainer fee PLUS a Commission. Forget the commission part for a moment, because every seller pays a commission to every buyers broker – it has nothing to do with you, the purchaser.  I charge investors the minimum fee I must have in order to help them evaluate and purchase investment property – this is what a Retainer is. Its temporary Insurance if you like. Now , here is how it works: ALL sellers (whether actual people or Bank REO asset managers) pays every Buyers Agent a Commission at closing, ranging from 3% which could be as little as $600, or more recently a flat fee usually of $900, and up to $1500 (for cheap properties under $60K) depending on price of property.  So your Retainer is insurance that I am not working for unacceptable fees like $600 – $900 for example. Most ordinary agents won't bother with that, and as a Broker/Owner and investment property expert who not only knows more than 95% of agents out there, but also performs free property analysis screenings for each client, there is no way I would work for that. I would not even do it for $1000 – I only do that for clients who buy three or more properties and who agree to have me manage (or sell) the investment property for them after purchase. Otherwise, I charge a minimum Retainer of $1500 period. Now, as I mentioned, and as the contract states, the Retainer is refunded to you or credited to your purchase at closing. So all the Retainer does is assure I am getting my minimum acceptable fee to bother with cheap properties – which is $1500 for the first property, and since you want to buy more, $1000 for every additional property. I simply accept the commission the seller offers to buyers agents, and if it falls short of my minimum fee, I pull from the Retainer to add to the Commission to equal either $1500 or $1000 as discussed above, and refund or credit you the rest.  So as I said before, you will have very little out of pocket on each deal over using an ordinary, and usually helpless agent, versus having an expert help assure you don't make a serious financial mistake. I hope you understand now

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

So they are going to find you a property for $1,500?

Have you looked at Select American Homes? I have lots of friends who have bought through Karina (who owns the business).

She's in Atlanta. She doesn't flip properties like some of the companies (that's how they make their commission- sometimes LOTS of markup). She sells it AT the price she pays for it. You pay a buyers fee (same as you do here in Australia).

Profile photo of b-town007b-town007
    Participant
    @matthew-brown

seems reasonable to me! I'm also looking to buy in Atlanta labradorinlove – could you pass on you agents details?

b-town007
    Email Me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.