All Topics / Help Needed! / What LVR do you use for IPs?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of santhsanth
    @santh

Does varying LVRs change the amount of risk when investing? what is the common LVR used for IPs? 90% 80% or less?

I would love to hear from those in the game.

Cheers

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

There is no common LVR. It depends on your risk profile. Some people view having a high LVR as more risky. In a way it is. If there is a downshift in prices the bank may want some money back (as your LVR will then be too high). It always pays to have a cash buffer.

I borrow 105% on each new property but my overall LVR is around 50%. 

If you are at the beginning of your portfolio building you generally have a higher LVR. As time goes on your LVR reduces as CG rises (if you stop buying that is).

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Catalyst wrote:
    I borrow 105% on each new property but my overall LVR is around 50%. .

This is the really important part – high LVRs on individual properties but keep overall LVR lowish. What is correct is dependent upon a whole raft of factors, not the least of which is your personal situation and aversion (or not) to risk.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Everyone's situation is different. I personally try at contribute as least amount of deposit as possible but I try to stay at the 89% LVR mark because after 90% the LMI premium increases significantly. Having said that, I have previously found 2 properties at absolute bargain prices when I didn't have too much deposit so I went for a 95% LVR lend. Remember that LMI is tax deductible. 

You need to have a IP strategy for the future and make sure that you have the adequate funds/deposit for future IP purchases.

Regards

Shahin

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Personally, I don't have an issue with high LVR's and believe they can work well for those with the appropriate risk profile and age on their side.

Likewise, I don't have an issue with LMI and see it as a cost of doing business. Without leveraging LMI earlier on, I wouldn't have been able to build my portfolio.

Here's an article that I wrote for API magazine that talks about leveraging LMI in order to get ahead.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

I go for 105% made up of 80% on the property and 25% from LOC.  My objective is to maximize my deductible debt and my cash offsets against and minimise my non-deductible debt. Like the other poster my overall LVR is less than 105% more like 80% but that will reduce when  I settle on a property that I am currently selling and have a contract on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.