All Topics / Finance / Work type affect bank loans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of a_d_r_i_a_na_d_r_i_a_n
    Participant
    @a_d_r_i_a_n

Hi Guys,

I am currently working full-time and was considering to change to contract / consulting. Reasoning more $$ for deposits…

1. how would the bank review the change

2. Do i need to  be working consistently as a contractor /  consultant for X months / years

3.  I dont want to stop buying for the moment, would this slow me down for the next 6-12months

Already own a few IPs and also realise that every bank has its own lending criteria aswell, just a general thought would be great.

Cheers,

Adrian

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Adrian

Typical broker answer but Yes / No.

Sorry about that but couldn't resist it. It all depends on what line of work you are in.

i have just completed a couple of deals for a forum client in IT and he switched a month or so ago now contracedt to 1 employer thru a Recruitment Agency but income has increased considerably so in IT is expected.

If however he was Contracting to a couple of employers and considered self employed the deal would have been a lot harder.

It is also going to depend on the lvr of each new IP as over 80% another hurdle to cross and even with DUA on the LMI some lenders would have an issue.

As i say more info probably needed at this stage to give you structured answer.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Adrian

What industry are you in and how long have you been in it?

Like Richard said, there's quite a few variables which will determine whether it's possible or not.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Matt KenworthyMatt Kenworthy
    @matt-kenworthy

Another variable to consider above those mentioned by Jamie and Richard is are undertaking any commercial risk.  If you're paying for outgoings/materials (industry dependant) you're more likely to be viewed as self-employed.  If you invoice the contracting company on a regular basis (and even better if they withhold tax before paying you) you're more likely to be treated the same as a salaried employee with quite a few employers.

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

If you were considered more on the "self-employed" camp, then I think you would have to at least prove to lenders that you had about 2 years worth of consistent income. So I suppose you'd need to think hard about the consequences of moving from full-time work to being a contractor/consultant, as a more "self-employed" person.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.