Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

Hi all,

Ipswich is my home town, and I enjoy living there personally.

I also think the place has a lot going for it over the coming years, with good potential for growth. There appears to be a stack of development happening in and around the inner suburbs too, and lots of money being spent on 'rejuvenation'.

I have also noticed a significant change in culture. For the better! (i.e. more restaurants worth eating at, and less lappers)

But I think maybe I'm too close to it sometimes… So, I'm curious to hear other opinions.

What do you think about Ipswich?

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

When people search out other peoples opinions it generally means they lack sufficient knowledge and or confidence. In depth knowledge supports confidence.

Go get the knowledge you need. Analyse past data to understand what makes an area tick, in the past, now and what will make it grow in the future (if at all).

Talk to local authorities (what are their future plans for the area?) they have extensive historical info on the area. Talk to the chamber of commerce people. They understand the business environment. Who's investing in the area? What types of business/industry drives the local economy. Is it a satellite for larger areas (then you need to understand them as well).

Other peoples opinions may be right or they could be wrong. You won't know unless you've done your own due diligence. If you do it well you don't need other peoples opinion.

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

Ahh Freckle. I've gotta say, I am a fan of your responses. People may find them a bit confrontational sometimes, but I think it provides a bit of perspective that others overlook. And that is exactly what I am looking for here. A perspective that I have overlooked.

And good advice for anyone looking to find out about an area, by the way.

In truth, I have not spoken to the chamber of commerce people, or the council directly on this topic specifically… However, I have hunted down every bit of data and media release I can find, and acted on it in part.

But it's more like when you're writing an essay and you think it's great, but then you get your mate to proof read it and find you've just left out an entire paragraph… I am looking for any angles that I may have overlooked.

So far as I can see, here are the good points: 

• Employment under the national average;
    • Relatively low vacancy rates;
    • Recently upgraged Ipswich motorway cuts travel time to Brisbane significantly;
    • 40-odd percent of available industrial land in the state (some of which is currently occupied by businesses with direct benefit of the "mining boom", such as Bradken);
    • $1bn being injected into the city centre by Ipswich City Properties for business and commercial use, expected to see some results of this by 2016;
    • A population increase forecast over the next 20 years over 200% (currently at 170,000 odd);
    • Expanding activities at the local RAAF base for RAAF, Army, and civilian contractors. Including some talk years back of an aerospace park… but I haven't heard much about that for a while now;
    • A clear plan for urban development in Ripley valley and also clearly defined development areas within the inner suburbs… My current PPOR is located in one of these development zones, and that's not by accident;
    • As noted above, I see cultural changes in motion also.

Basically, I can't see the downside to the fastest growing city in QLD… However, others may have more information about the success or failure of the business parks to attract… well… business? I dunno dude, that's why I'm asking.

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

OK you've done some superficial stuff.You have to keep building this out into something a lot more comprehensive. Keep track of what your doing and how you're doing it. Also what types of information and the source that provides strong indicators. Later you can develop this into your personal DD template. 

When you see strong indicators, for example better commute times, you need to confirm this in some way. Be careful about simply making assumption without testing. Easiest way to screw up.

Local authority plans. Put them in the "when pigs will fly" for the time being. They get added later as "bonuses if they happen"

Once you think you've got all you can get then you need to run the ruler over it by constructing a SWOT analysis.

Strengths

Weaknesses

Opportunities

Threats

Once you have it sorted then risk weight it. 1 – 10. 1 being a dead duck and 10 being I'm a bloody genius this'll make me a million.

After that you need to confirm a strategy (over all investment approach) and tactics (structure and methodology)

Dead simple really ;-)

I'm sure others have differing approaches worth considering.

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

All fair points, SWOT analysis is a good idea too. Thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.