All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Strategy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of PDimiPDimi
    @pdimi

Hey everyone,

I am new to these forums after reading Steve McKnight's 'From 0 to 130 Properties In 3.5 Years'. I am in my early 20's and have been interested in property investment for a year now. In that time I have read 4 property investment books. I understand there are different strategies to achieve financial freedom, however I feel somewhat confused. In other books I have read that support negative gearing, they have said that positive gearing would not effectively achieve financial freedom and they said you would need to own a very very high number of positive geared properties to achieve financial freedom. Therefore I have come onto these forums to try and get a bit of clarity.

My two options at the moment are these. I could try and obtain a positive geared property in Western Sydney around the Penrith area or try for a 1 bedroom unit close to the CBD like in an area like Kogarah where capital growth would be stronger there. If there are any property investors who have properties in any of these areas who would be able to provide me with some feedback about the areas achieving your investment goals then that would be great. Is there any good property advisers I could utilise just to help me develop a sound plan and strategy and just a way I could learn more about how to research areas and interpreting property statistics as this is something that is my weakness at the moment.

Another question I have which I am not sure to address is whether I should pay my uni debt off. It is around $20,000 so I wasn't sure if I should pay this off before purchasing an IP or buy an IP soon and let the uni debt take care of itself.

If any of you would be able to help me out it would be really much appreciated.

Thanks.

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi PDimi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Short answer to your first question is look for an IP that has land content. Buying a 1 bedroom unit close to the city will have a higher rental yield compared to the block of land in Penrith however the block of land in Penrith will have more potential for capital growth. Not negating the importance of rental income, however capital growth is important particularly as a vehicle to fund further IP purchases. 

Units are great IP's and in fact I have 2 units in my personal portfolio but land is much better than a unit in most strategies. So why a house over a unit? You can renovate it much more extensively, extend (up, down, sideways) and develop (even if you just get the DA and CC).

The answer to your second question – I find that 9 out of 10 people do not have an issue with servicing/borrowing capacity whereas most have an issue with having enough deposit to actually purchase a place. If you are in this situation then I would recommend that you save for the deposit instead of paying the debt down.

The above is a very general statement so ultimately I would suggest sitting down with a mentor and nutting out several strategies and see how they look over a 5 – 10 year period.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Pdimi

Welcome aboard.

It can be very confusing when starting out. You try and absorb as much information as possible and there's a thousand different experts with a thousand different ways of doing things.

Let's take it a step back.

What are you wanting to invest in property? What are you aiming to achieve?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of PDimiPDimi
    @pdimi

Hi Shahin and Jamie. Thank you very much for both responding as I really do appreciate any help I can get from you guys. I guess reading all these books has just made me confused as some say positive gearing is the way to go and some say buying units close to the city is the way to go as land and property is more scarce there so I am not really knowing what to do. What has been your strategy in terms of property investment and what strategies and areas have you found that have worked.

As I have only got my first full time job this year, I want to build a good record to show the banks my steady employment history and I am trying to save $50,000 until I will make my move.  To Jamie's question, I want to invest in property as I want to be financially free by the time I am in my 30s. I want to be in a position where working is a choice rather than a necessity as I would like to support my family when I am that age. I would like to own enough properties so I am generating passive income of $100,000 – $200,000 potentially anually in the future.

I guess reading so much I have learnt that I need to develop a plan as I need to know how to get to where I want to be. Do any of you know any good property advisers who could possibly sit down with me and develop a plan as the books have helped me with the knowledge and I would just like some help in making my first stride in the property market.

At the moment I am starting to look at building a team. I have found an accountant who I believe is savvy when it comes to tax minimisation and asset structure. However I am still looking for financial advisers, property advisers, legal and conveyancing, builders etc to form my team.

In terms of Penrith or close to the city, demographics studies I have read say that younger generations prefer to be near the city due to lifestyle committments so I am a bit worried to know if the traditional 3 bedroom house out west will not generate much interest.

In terms of university debt, I guess I am concerned about indexation and inflation eventually making my HELP debt doubled and not sure if I should pay it off while it is lower now or just pay it off much slower.

Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi PDimi

No worries at all.

Your goal sounds good – now you need to execute your plan.

To be honest, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the HECs debt right now. You need to consider the opportunity cost of getting rid of the HECs debt now – it means forgoing property investing for longer.

Any reason why you want to save $50k before starting? Depending on your risk profile, you could leverage more of the banks money and use less of your own. Here's an article I wrote about using smaller deposits and utilising LMI.

p.s – I'd swap the financial advisor for a decent mortgage broker.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of jamesmdawsonjamesmdawson
    Participant
    @jamesmdawson

Hi ,  Ive been an investor for over 30 years and while  you should not ignore any tax benefits you may get from property , both negative gearing and deprecation etc I feel that the more you invest in positive cash flow properties the better. I have been living on my property income for 20 years now and dont mind paying tax if i have to but i certainly do minimize it legally where i can.

Its easier to pay some tax on positive cash flow than to try to earn more money to support neg gear property.

Dont forget to have a look at commercial property as part of your portfolio. often it is positive cash flow from day one and you can buy commercial for the same price as a 1 bed residential unit.

I recommend owning the land as well , I have several comm investments that have commercial tenants on the ground floor and residential above. I own the whole building and dont have to concern myself with strata rules etc.

As part of my cash flow strategy  I  can let the apartments as furnished for a much higher rent and also are able to strata the properties into two or more lots down the track.

If you are short of deposit cash to get in dont forget vendor finance. I have done several deals where i have borrowed the dep from the vendor for 5 years or so.

best of luckJames

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

@pdimi

Hi Jamie and James,

I guess I have set $50,000 as the target to save as I would like to allocated $30-35K for deposit and other expenses and $15K to live off so it doesn't wipe me out completely. Yeah I was actually thinking on the lines of trying to do find a good mortgage broker. Do some of them able to come to your house for meetings or do they only operate Monday – Friday office hours. Where are you based Jamie as I am situated in South West Sydney. Also who would you recommend in going to actually write up a plan with steps based on my goal that I told you. Also anyone you recommend in terms of researching and selecting the right areas would be great too. Do you think I should allocated $10K extra for a buyer's agent or is there more cheaper effective options.

James, your point in regard to commercial property is also good. What would banks generally loan you in terms of LVR for commercial properties generally as Steve's book says that commercial property is the next step after residential. I just really want to make the right choices so I am in a position to build a property portfolio. Any other pointers would be great guys.

Thanks.

Profile photo of NooobNooob
    @nooob

Every now and then leave everything you know behind and think free;

Let say I have a property that worth $20k and I sell it to you for $200k and you can rent it out for $10/week… and oh boy, it will double up in 7 years! you don't believe me look at price of the houses in the last 7 years (2005 to 2012)

Does it sound like a perfect opportunity to offset all of your taxes with negative gearing?

Even if a property is positively geared, you still can deduct depreciation AND have money in your pocket to buy more.

Find the balance between capital growth and positively geared my friend

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi PDimi,

If you are starting out on your property investment strategy I would personally not start with commercial property. Yes it has its place in an established portfolio but not when you are starting out. Start with areas that you are familiar with. South West Sydney is a great area to start. I have many investors who started out at Campbelltown and progressively moved all around Sydney (Ryde, Chatswood, etc). Speaking of Campbelltown – you can get some very good rental yields in that and the surrounding areas. Buyers agents are fantastic but since you have a limited deposit I would start speaking to local RE agents to get ideas of rental demand, buyer demographic, any future improvements to the area (such as transportation ugprades) and also start going to as many open house and auctions as you can. 

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@pdimi

Hi Shahin. Yeah I am starting out so I think residential is my best starting point for now. I am now leaning towards the South West and Western Sydney hubs. I have checked out the economic indicators for Penrith and GRP in that area has trended upwards for a few years now so from an economic perspective the area is growing. It is just trying to make that first move that helps me build a strong performing portfolio.

Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Hi PDimi,

Do you have a budget for the IP purchase?

Regards

Shahin

Email Me | Phone Me

@pdimi

$200,000 to $300,000 I would aim to spend for a property in Western Sydney.

Participant
    @jamie-m
    PDimi wrote:
    Where are you based Jamie as I am situated in South West Sydney.

Hiya

I'm based in Canberra but the majority of my clients aren't. Looking at the last five loans I submitted, the clients were based in East Melb, West Syd, FNQ, Canberra and Perth.

Everything can be done over phone/email. I won't be able to pop around for a coffee and tim tams in west syd after hours though :)

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of LilianWALilianWA
    @lilianwa

I bought in blacktown a few years back for just over $300k but now prices have gone beyond the $300k mark.

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

There are still houses in Western Sydney that fit your budget of $200k-$300k.

Like some of the others previously, I also advocate the positive cashflow strategy. If you want to be financially free by your 30s, you just need to figure out how much money you need per month to live well without working. Then figure out how many positive cashflow properties you need, churning out a certain amount of cashflow per month.

Gradually, invest in that amount of properties and then you begin replacing your active working income with your passive property income.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.