All Topics / Help Needed! / Renting out a granny flat question ..help please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Woody1986
    Participant
    @woody1986

Hi Guys

I am in the process of building a granny flat in western sydney and want the electricity and water to be separate

Is this a case of just installing different metres and the granny flat tenant will be sent there own bill??

May be a stupid question although its my first time doing this type of thing

thanks in advance

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Yeah, pretty much.

Need to connect electricity to main switchboard, can keep water together and just increase rent to include the water bill., tho I prefer to keep them separate at the extra cost to myself. You will need a licensed electrician with some sort of special extra accreditation to do the job. Make sure you call the electrical company first to set up the connection reference (takes about 10 mins).

When you call electricity company for reference number they will ask you how you want to name your new place. eg. if its 26 AWESOME ST, you can name your GF 26A Awesome St, and your bills will be sent there.

Am building a couple of granny flats now myself in St Marys. Where abouts are yours?

Woody1986
    Participant
    @woody1986

Thanks for that. yeah I want to keep it all separate. I am building in tregear. If you dont mind me asking. Are you building a 1 or 2 bed. I have only got plans for a 1 bed, My draftsmen said it should cost around the 50k . Does this sound right as i have heard bigger figures mentioned than that .

Profile photo of BrazenBrazen
    Participant
    @brazen

Hi Woody,

Electricity:

Your electrician will install a separate meter inside the existing meter box, so that when the Energy man comes and reads the meter, he will read for 2 separate accounts.

Water:

You CAN have a separate meter but I would highly recommend you don't do that. The reason i say this is because the RENT on water meters is quite high and the usage is quite low. All of my investors just pay the usage and charge an extra $10-$20 a month to cover this usage by both tenants.

Cheers,

Brazen.

Brazen | Granny Flat Approvals Sydney
    http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Granny Flat Approvals Guru

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.