All Topics / Finance / Interstate home loan before moving

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of leahjthomasleahjthomas
    @leahjthomas

We are looking at moving interstate from melbourne to NSW at the end of the years and want to know if it is possible to sell here and get a home loan for another house, while still employed here.  or how long you have to be employed in a new position before you can get a home loan

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi there

You could be employed for one day and still be elligible for a loan – there's a few other factors to consider however.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop
    leahjthomas wrote:

We are looking at moving interstate from melbourne to NSW at the end of the years and want to know if it is possible to sell here and get a home loan for another house, while still employed here.  or how long you have to be employed in a new position before you can get a home loan

Hi Leahjthomas,

You can either ascertain the loan approval prior to moving or you can do it after you move. The issue with the latter is that you need to ensure that the application is strong and that it makes up for the fact that you have been in the current role for a very short period of time. Most lenders have an automatic credit score engine and this would not rate well. There are some lenders that do not auto credit score but again the application must be strong to make up for the short period in employment.

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Participant
    @jamie-m

Generally speaking, if you're next job is in a similar role and the LVR isn't ridiculously high than all should be fine on that front. As I mentioned though, there's so many other variables at play when applying for a home loan – employment history is just one so it's hard to give a definitive answer.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

As Jamie mentioned, it all depends on what your new job is and how it fits in with the lenders policies.

As a worst case scenario, most lenders will accept you after 3 months at a new place of employment provided you have also completed your probationary period.

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of leahjthomasleahjthomas
    @leahjthomas

So you are basically saying that it is best to get the loan and purchse the house prior to moving, otherwise we may have to wait months to get a loan

Profile photo of Your BrokerYour Broker
    Participant
    @your-broker

As Jamie said there are lenders who will take into account permanent employment if you've only been there for 1 day.  So to say whether your better buying prior to moving it is very hard to answer without knowing.  What employment you are moving to?  eg.casual, permanent Is it same industry,  large pay increase/ decrease.  How much equity do you have available. 

It is really something you would want to discuss with a broker to work out your specific scenario and the goals you want to achieve.

regards

Dustin McMahon
    Your Broker.
    0430 110 304 | [email protected] 

Participant
    @jamie-m
    leahjthomas wrote:
    So you are basically saying that it is best to get the loan and purchse the house prior to moving, otherwise we may have to wait months to get a loan

No.

I'm saying that if your new job is in the same industry as your old job than its still possible to get a loan – even after only being in the new job for a very short period.

It all depends on the loan to value ration as well – if there's no mortgage insurance involved, than it will make things a little easier. If there is mortgage insurance involved, it's still doable.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

The issue with trying to get a loan before you move is the lender will ask whether there are any foreseeable changes in your circumstances that may affect repayments of the loan. Moving interstate, quitting your current job, and starting a new job would suggest the answer is yes to this question.

Whether the lender will approve the loan (especially if you have no new job lined up) would be questionable. You would need to assure them that the move won't heighten the risk of any default on the loan.

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

If you didnt want to sell first nothing to stop you apply for a relocation loan where the interest could be capitalised for a period of months whilst you sell your current property.

This buys you time to sell the property first whilst relocating.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.