All Topics / Help Needed! / Reformed Zones in Victoria – What does it mean….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of gavsamgavsam
    @gavsam

With the Victorian Govt recent announcement on the reforming of zones in Victoria for planning, I have my novice concerns about what effects that may have on my future plans to develop my investment property.

Say I have a property (1 dwelling) of roughly a thousand metres (that I hope to turn into a 2/3 dwelling property) in a street that has roughly one in 7 properties subdivided (2 or 3 dwellings) per property.
    Can anyone provide an bit of knowledge and understanding as to what these planned Govt reformed zones may have by way of impact on my future development plans, (acknowledging that every area is different and comes under different zones)
    – and if things may be a bit harder to get through council planning departments as to what they currently are.
    – should I bring forward my future plans to develop and submit a planning application now, before reforming takes affect.
    – are all councils different or are all planning permits approved for the same period of time (is it 2-3 years??)
    – Any advice as to who I am to best contact to more fully answer these questions, I'm thinking council, a town planner, the planning dept…

Any advice is gladly excepted.

R's

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Gavsam, I think it is a mine field and we dont really know what is going to come out of this until it is tested.
    My understanding is and from what I have seen- local councils have not given approvals due to local pressure but it then goes to VCAT and the local council is over turned.
    You could contact Matthew Guy’s (Planning Minister) office and ask these questions. I know the people in his office are quite knowledgeable on property.
    After this – contact Breece at Hub Planning- he is very knowledgeable in the area. He is a town planner and I think will be across these things.

Profile photo of gavsamgavsam
    @gavsam

thanks for the advice, will start making some calls over this whole crystal ball thing

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

Hi Gavsam,

As mentioned above, it is really hard to know at this stage how it will all come out. I believe the intention is for the new zones to take the existing information from zones and policy (such as neighbourhood character) and make it easier to see what type of development is wanted in an area, without needing to read the whole planning scheme.

How it might work::
    Your area was one where medium density was encouraged (or should be due to closeness of services) then this should not change with the proposal as the new zoning that would ultimately be applied to the land would reflect what was previously encouraged (or should be).

Also, after the new zones are formalised (and this could take a while), the councils will then spend some time deciding how to apply these (they have 12 months).  So as for timing it will probably be at least 2 years before this is fully implemented (if it goes ahead).

Regards,
    Melanie

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Yes, Melanie gives a good over view.
    I would Go straight to horses mouth still and speak to Matthew Guy’s office so you might have some influence over how it plays out- not sure but its worth a try. Its too late by the time these things get to council and the public- decisions are already made.
    After this – your planners will have the best idea.
    Would LOVE to hear the feedback you get??
    Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.