All Topics / General Property / Negative Gearing vs Positive Gearing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Mr PropMr Prop
    @mr-prop

Hi everyone, relatively new to the Property Forums, just want to gauge what your personal preference is for NG vs PG and why. I know many investors are still pro NG properties and wondered why. TIA

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

Hi Mr Props,

Welcome to the property forums

Hope you enjoy reading and participating in the discussions in this forum

To answer your question, I think it depends on what a person's goals are and their knowledge and skill base

Many mum and dad  investors choose the negative gearing model because they would like to save tax, and/or because they believe property values will always increase. In order to succeed with this model, the property needs to increase in value more than the amount negatively geared by and inflation.

Personally I would prefer to make money, rather than lose money and save tax (in the hope that the property will increase in value)

Kong

Profile photo of Mr PropMr Prop
    @mr-prop

Thanks for your reply Kong. IMO and from what I see in Sydney and Melbourne is that many investors are flooding the market (selling up), clearly it’s not working for them in this tight market and they just want out. A number of Agents I’ve spoken with confirm this too. Sad times for many and lucrative for others. I have to agree though, the idea of making money sounds more viable!

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop
    Mr Prop wrote:
    Hi everyone, relatively new to the Property Forums, just want to gauge what your personal preference is for NG vs PG and why. I know many investors are still pro NG properties and wondered why. TIA

Hi Mr Prop,

The answer is very circumstantial to your situation and also your investment short and long term investment strategy. They both have the pros and cons, e.g Negative Gearing reduces your taxable income but it affects your serviceability and ability to borrow more money and more properties. Whereas Positive Gearing increases your taxable income but also your ability to purchase more properties. You need to sit with someone and go through a strategy that will work well for you. Another consideration is retirement and determining how much income you need to support yourself via positively geared properties.

Shahin Afarin – Property Finance Consultant
    http://elitepropertyfinance.wordpress.com/

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of JT7JT7
    @jt7

Hi Mr Prop,

Some good comments above.

I’d have to agree with the making money CF+ model. It’s a suitable strategy for us because it facilitates our serviceability taking into consideration earnings and dependents and keeps us in the market and enables us to continue investing.

You can experience high CF and also CG in today’s market.

Jack

Profile photo of streamlineinvestingstreamlineinvesting
    Participant
    @streamlineinvesting

As people above me have said, Negative gearing is purely reliant on solid capital gains to make any money, so you are relying on the property market increasing for you to make an income. Whereas Positive gearing you will make money as long as your property has a tenant in there.

The effect negative gearing has on your serviceability can also be too detrimental to your investment strategy and due to lack of money, it can leave yourself stalled and having to wait for your property to grow in value to give you enough to move on to your next investment. Whereas positive gearing you can literally purchase a property every day of the week and serviceability should never be a problem. OK maybe I am exaggerating that last sentence a bit, but it is definitely more possible to achieve this than buying negative geared property, where after 1 or 2 properties, you serviceability has reached its limit and you can no longer invest.

Profile photo of Mr PropMr Prop
    @mr-prop

Cheers, appreciate everyone’s input!

Profile photo of M.InvestigatorM.Investigator
    @m.investigator

Another advantage of positive geared property is that as you increase rents gradually for each CF+ property per year, your income grows by alot too. It's a great long term strategy, and one that I employ as it fits well with my goals and philosophy.

I would prefer making money through property which is passive income, and building a portfolio of CF+ properties in order to be financially free. The goal for many CF+ investors is to continue to get more cf+ properties so that the profits from it replaces their active working income, thereby relieving them from having to work at all. CApital gains can still be achieved by cashflow+ properties if you are selective.

I take negative gearing to be quite speculative, whereas with positive geared properties you can take more calculated risks as the numbers today will inform you whether or not you are making a worthwhile investment.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    Mr Prop wrote:
    Thanks for your reply Kong. IMO and from what I see in Sydney and Melbourne is that many investors are flooding the market (selling up), clearly it's not working for them in this tight market and they just want out. A number of Agents I've spoken with confirm this too. Sad times for many and lucrative for others. I have to agree though, the idea of making money sounds more viable!

REALLY!!! I have to disagree. I'm seeing more investors getting in than in the previous 4 years in Sydney. Agents are also mentioning the influx. Pretty hard to get a bargain these days. I'm seeing contracts being signed the day of the opens.

Profile photo of jamesmdawsonjamesmdawson
    Participant
    @jamesmdawson

Hi , Ive been in the game for over 30 years , I always look for positive cash flow , other wise Im  looking for other money to fund something that is costing me cash. I still claim all the tax deductions I can. Id rather be paying some ( minimised tax) than trying to find cash to prop things up.Check out commercial as well ,  can be easy to find properties that are cash flow positive from day one.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Profile photo of Chooky88Chooky88
    Participant
    @chooky88
    kong71286 wrote:
    Personally I would prefer to make money, rather than lose money and save tax (in the hope that the property will increase in value)

Kong
    [/quote

Unless your making too much money and are a filthy rich mining magnate go PG. Or at least neutral. You should never invest for tax reasons. Tax should be ancillary to your decision not the primary motivator.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Catalyst wrote:

REALLY!!! I have to disagree. I'm seeing more investors getting in than in the previous 4 years in Sydney. Agents are also mentioning the influx. Pretty hard to get a bargain these days. I'm seeing contracts being signed the day of the opens.

Investors are buying. This August has been our busiest month in settlements – the majority have been investor clients.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Personally speaking the wealthiest investors that I have met are those that bought a couple in major cities in Oz and UK at leet one cycle ago.  They were probably negative geared but the   investors didn't look on them thatt way.

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

so i guess they used them for capital gains or flips? negative geared investing tend to be really good for those who already have high incomes. Did they have high paying income jobs already?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm
    mattsta wrote:
    so i guess they used them for capital gains or flips? negative geared investing tend to be really good for those who already have high incomes. Did they have high paying income jobs already?

… Or a few cashflow positive properties to prop them up and cover the shortfall…

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    mattsta wrote:

They still have them and have seen large growth in their values and rents. I couldn't honestly answer if they were high income when they started.  I don't think they were low income but they were convinced that inner city was the way to go and weren't yield focused. So just saying that high rental yield investing is fine, but it doesn't mean that other styles are wrong either.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.