All Topics / Help Needed! / COmmonwealth MISA offset account and investment loan tax implications

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Woody1986
    Participant
    @woody1986

HI

have an investment loan and a MISA offset account…With all the tax implications I was wondering if anyone has experience with this offset account and tax implications. I want to keep money in the MISA account and then move it to my transactional account just before my monthly home loan repayment is due to maximise interest offset and save money….Will the whole loan portion still be able to be claimed at tax time or will they class this as mixing my loan funds with Personal funds.. I have read threads and believe that I will be ok to do this as opposed to taking out of a Redraw account although I just wanted to know if anyone would have any dealings with this as I believe this should be a general question and not a personal circumstance question

thanks

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi James

I’m not an accountant but utilising an offset account in the manner described shouldn’t cause any tax dramas.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of SundanceSundance
    Participant
    @sundance

Hi James,

I purhased an investment property several months ago through CBA.  There is an offset account against the loan.  Each week our wages get transferred to the offset account and we use our credit card to live off for the month.  I also transfer the rent received into the offset account.  At the end of the month I transfer the necessary funds back to the transactional account to make the loan repayment and pay the credit card. 

Cheers,
    Sundance

Cheers,
    Sundance

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    Sundance wrote:
    There is an offset account against the loan.

Hi Sundance

Do you have a PPOR debt or any other non-deductible debt such as a personal loan, credit card, etc? If so, knock that on the head first before placing funds into the IP offset. If you do have a PPOR loan – forget about using the IP offset and set up an offset against the PPOR instead.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Sundance don’t worry CBA have told us they have a fully transactional offset coming soon. Trouble is they told us that 5 years ago.

No issue with what you are doing but boys it is complicated and old fashioned with CBA.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Solomon10Solomon10
    Participant
    @solomon10

Agreed Richard, the cba misa does seem complicated compared to offsets offered by other lenders. Btw are you having trouble with posting from your tablet? Lots of multiple posts lately?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Soloman
    Yes on holiday in Jasper, Canada,
    Only have to breath on the IPad in the Mountain air and you end up posting a dozen times.

That and of course I am trying to get my posts up lol.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of SundanceSundance
    Participant
    @sundance
    Jamie M wrote:
    Sundance wrote:
    There is an offset account against the loan.

Hi Sundance

Do you have a PPOR debt or any other non-deductible debt such as a personal loan, credit card, etc? If so, knock that on the head first before placing funds into the IP offset. If you do have a PPOR loan – forget about using the IP offset and set up an offset against the PPOR instead.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, all good.  Our PPOR is paid off and we don't have any other debt.  Have been in contact with you offline in regard to setting up for our next IP. 

Cheers,
    Sundance

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.