All Topics / General Property / $300-$350,000 Budget for investment property Where to buy?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of 888LD888LD
    Participant
    @888ld

Good Afternoon ForumI am in the market to buy an investment property preferably on its own title, with two-three bedrooms. I am look in and around South Morang, Doree, Bundoora, Watsonia, Preston. I am prepared to do some TLCAny thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated. Kind Regards

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

Doree and Preston

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

I will start with asking question: Are you good investor?
    If yes – anywhere is good
    If no – you gamble, then you must ask yourself: Can I afford to gamble this amount?

This may sound like I been a smart *ss, but actually trying to give best known to me answer.

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

South Morang, Doree, Bundoora, Watsonia, Preston… I think you'll find with some serious research on those areas a rental property is a hard push when you look at the demographics.

I've lived most of my life around these areas, so I'll give you my ideas on the areas:

South Morang – High demand for rentals but in general low quality tenants. If you had a really well presented 3 bedroom property and marketed to a family you may do well if you can find one for that price that will still receive a good return. On a plus – the introduction of the new train line has made the suburb more accessible.

Doreen – Don't even consider it unless your main aim is capital growth. There has been a lot of growth in the area with a new school opening, restaurants and shops being built but there isn't much of a market for rental properties with only 6% of the population renting their home, so expect long vacancy periods between tenants.

Bundoora – Always had a healthy rental market, medium population of students can attribute to this. The last few years have seen the crime rate increase however which has driven a lot of people out of the area.

Watsonia – A lovely quiet suburb. I'm surprised this one hasn't got the attention it deserves! There are plenty of houses needing a little TLC with  large block sizes. The suburb has been known for quite a few years as family friendly with a lot of retirees still residing there. The rental market is healthy for young families, we currently manage a huge property needing a lot of cosmetic work that is still getting a great return for the owners.

Preston – As a property manager I detest Preston properties due to the demographic of low-quality tenants and painful vacancy periods. It is definitely a future growth suburb in terms of development in the future and the land sizes can be great, however stay away from Northland Shopping Centre area when buying to avoid being right next to the commission houses.

Whatever you do, ensure you research, research, research and compare the suburbs. Then do a little more research, and go with the suburb that offers you something that matches your investment plan. If you don't have a plan… get one.

Profile photo of 888LD888LD
    Participant
    @888ld

Thankyou for that response, I am also looking in the newer parts of epping which are offering 3 bedroom 2 bathroom 2 garage homes for $311k, this appears to be outstanding value. This seems to be a nice and safe pocket of epping.

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

Epping has had a fairly decent rental market for years which has dropped recently with the opening of Mernda's housing estates offering affordable housing.  The crime rate in the older areas and near the shopping centre is shocking, so I agree with you that sticking to a new estate is the best option if you settle for Epping.

The new estates are looking good, one of my colleagues is looking to move there also. The main pointer I would have for you is check the quality and track record of the builder really thoroughly, I wouldn't recommend Metricon as I've heard too many disaster stories from them of late.

When it comes to property management further down the track in this area be extremely thorough when choosing an agent, I'm sure someone will have a different opinion but to me it's historically an area where agents are focused on sales, sales, sales and use very young PMs who are using the position as a side step into sales.

Profile photo of Brian PobjeBrian Pobje
    Participant
    @brian-pobje

can your budget stretch to around 380k?????

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

Like others have stated, it really depends if you have done this before. If not, I would look for a place near shops, schools, workplaces- anything that might be of convenience to someone else.

This article on property investment might help you: http://www.bigpondmoney.com.au/home-property/property-investment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.