All Topics / Help Needed! / private sale of a house – how to go about it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of deepak6574deepak6574
    Participant
    @deepak6574

Hi All

Has anyone here sold their property privately i.e. without the involvement of a real estate agent.

If yes, can i please get your opinion on whether its a worthwhile exercise to do? how easy/hard it is to sell privately and how to go about it?

Appreciate your feedback.

Profile photo of Josh AthertonJosh Atherton
    @josh-atherton

Hi Deepak,

Terry Ryder has a book on this. check out hotspotting.com.au

Profile photo of deepak6574deepak6574
    Participant
    @deepak6574

Thanks Josh. will do

Profile photo of Kristin Simondson PBREKristin Simondson PBRE
    @kristin-simondson-pbre

If you've got your mind set on doing it yourself and its your first time, best to find someone who has done it before and get some in-depth advice.

I understand a lot of owners want to save on selling costs by not including a real estate agent, but unless you know your state's legislation regarding property sales it can be fraught with danger.

There are a few basic points to consider no matter where you are located:

• How have you decided your selling price? You could even arrange a few agents through to give you their market value and expectations based on their sales in the area to gauge whether the price you want is realistic.
    • What type of sale works best in your area? Some locations are auction orientated and therefore achieving the best price by private sale may be difficult
    • Where and how will you advertise your property? Private sellers don't have access to major real estate sites so it is important to find an online advertiser who will gain good exposure for your property in a market where a majority of buyers go online to find property, but there are a few sites out there now gaining momentum for private sellers.
    • How will you find buyers? Relying on advertising alone can extend the amount of time the property is on the market. Good agents have a database of qualified buyers in your area.
    • How will you qualify your buyers to ensure they are not time wasters?

What are your reasons for selling your home privately? If it is to cut down selling costs, I would suggest that if you find a great agent in the area you're likely to get a higher sale price.

Just read some of the posts on this forum and you'll see people like buying from private sellers because they feel that getting a lower price is easier. This is something you'll need to keep in mind if you go ahead.

Profile photo of KeyStrategiesKeyStrategies
    @keystrategies

Deepak

I have sold a number of properties myself very successfully over the years obtaining prices higher than local agents suggested I would obtain but being in the game for over 20 years I might have a bit more experience than the average Home Owner. Having said that I have also engaged real estate agents to sell my own home (PPOR) and some of my investment properties with greater success than I had.

Do your homework – Advertising, marketing and negotiation are all key elements to a successful sale and remember to be objective too many people are emotional attached to the real estate transaction when its their own home

A good place to start is to Google  – try key phrases like For sale by Owner, Private house sales and Private home sales and view the information. There are a number of interesting websites and resources available.

Cheers

Cheers and good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.