All Topics / Help Needed! / Ideal first IP?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of c-manc-man
    Participant
    @c-man

Hi there,

Very happy with the information the community has been giving me so far. Have some more questions.

What is the ideal first IP?

• How much?
    • Where?
    • What type of a IP?
    • What sort of loan structure

I am about to commence saving for a year and should have roughly 12k by the end of it.

• Still have FHOG to use.
    • Currently live in Darwin.

Also if there is any resources such as books that give you information on finding the best type of IP deals that would be also helpfull.

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Hey c-man

I recently started myself and now understand nobody can answer those questions but you. Questions to ask YOURSELF should be more along the lines of:

What are your aims and by when;
           What level or risk/debt are you comfortable with;
           How much time can you dedicate to learning and improving;
           What changes are you willing to make to your lifestyle to save more.

From house to apartment, you can make a profit on both. Personally I prefer houses that require small changes. I don’t do major renovations or any sort of special financing (flips, vf, etc). You may want to start with something simple by buying under-priced property which require minor renovations.You’ll be surprised how little you really know about the process until you take action. Everyday is now a learning experience wether it be negotiating with vendors, council, or my dad (who seems to know everything) :P

Again that is my opinion and everybody would advise differently.

IMO, start with 2 books:
    1. From 0 – 130 properties in 3.5 years by Steve McKnight;
    2. 20 must ask questions for every property investor by Margaret Lomas.

Theres dozens if not hundreds more books and articles you may read from there. Oh and network with people who know more, they will not only inspire you, they will also save you a few bucks by helping you NOT make a mistake.

As for structure, there's plenty of advice here, personally buying a couple under my own name to take advantage of land tax thresh-hold, rest will be in discretionary trusts.

Gluck!

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi c-man

It's too broad a question. What constitutes a good deal to one investor won't always be considered a good deal by the next.

Some start out with a nice chunk of equity and decent incomes to leverage off. Others start of on smaller incomes and no equity. The former might be on the hunt for a block of units – the latter might only be able to afford one of those units.

Don't rely on anyone to tell you what a good investment looks like. This needs to be determined by you and involves carrying out your own due diligence and making decisions based on your own risk profile and the resources available.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of c-manc-man
    Participant
    @c-man

Ideally I want to buy cashflow positive IP's. I want passive income. Don't really care too much about the capital gains although that is a nice bonus if it happens. I just want to have enough cashflow positive IP's that if I decide to stop working for what ever reason, I don't need to stress about having no income.

I haven't been able to find a single property in Darwin area that would be cashflow positive. Is there any regions of Australia that are known for cashflow positive properties or is their any directories investors can browse through?

Profile photo of eZyCASHeZyCASH
    @ezycash

Cashflow positive properties are out there in Australia but they can be hard to find. Another option for you could be to create cashflow properties. For example, buy a unit, do a small cosmetic reno (paint it, possibly new kitchen or bathroom) and then rent it out for a higher price and higher yield. Another option could be to buy a house on a large block, put a granny flat in the backyard to increase the cashflow of the property. Under this method you would need to undertake detailed research and ensure you are ware of the local council DA rules.

Goodluck, I wish you all the best in your property investing journey!!!

Profile photo of Keenan_8Keenan_8
    @keenan_8

They are around and you can get them in Darwin which is where i live. I bought mine last year right behind Fannie Bay racecourse with a 10 % return from day one and when i do the renos will be 21 % return plus 800k + in equity ( Units on block ) that will give me 80-90k pa after loan repayments. Theres my passive income right there. There is another property same set up that I have my eye on after that in Fannie bay.
    On a smaller scale i recently bought another in Ludmilla at 456k 3 bed elevated house also run down but after renos and adding a granny flat underneath should be positive cash flow just but in area im still going to get equity up in too.

They are there you just have to keep an eye out.

Keenan

Participant
    @c-man

I'm assuming you had a large amount of capital to invest with first?

Participant
    @c-man

Am I able to contact you by email?

Profile photo of Keenan_8Keenan_8
    @keenan_8

Hi, I had no capital of my own lckily my mother let me use her property as security to get me started.I borrowed the 100% including costs.

You can get me on [email protected]

Profile photo of suzbatssuzbats
    @suzbats

Question for experienced investors:

We are looking at buying an investment property in the inner city (Melbourne) such as St Kilda, Elwood.

How do we know if the property will be cashflow positive?
    I have used Steve’s 1 % Rule but would prefer more specific real stories from anyone else who has invested.

At the moment, the apartments we have been looking at seem to be negative geared (once we include all expenses) rather than positive geared.

Also, how much of the expenses can we claim from a cashflow positive property?

Many thanks

Profile photo of mattstamattsta
    Participant
    @mattsta

I really does seem to be negatively geared. Maybe, there can be a way for you to turn the investment around. There are many investment tools on the net.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst
    suzbats wrote:
    Question for experienced investors: We are looking at buying an investment property in the inner city (Melbourne) such as St Kilda, Elwood. How do we know if the property will be cashflow positive? I have used Steve's 1 % Rule but would prefer more specific real stories from anyone else who has invested. At the moment, the apartments we have been looking at seem to be negative geared (once we include all expenses) rather than positive geared. Also, how much of the expenses can we claim from a cashflow positive property? Many thanks

You claim all expenses.  The rent goes on to your income and all the expenses come off.

To work it out just take all the outgoings from the incomings and see if it's negative or positive. Don't forget to take out depreciation. Which may make it look negative (and you'll get money back) even though it is putting money in your pocket.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    suzbats wrote:
    Question for experienced investors: We are looking at buying an investment property in the inner city (Melbourne) such as St Kilda, Elwood. How do we know if the property will be cashflow positive? I have used Steve's 1 % Rule but would prefer more specific real stories from anyone else who has invested. At the moment, the apartments we have been looking at seem to be negative geared (once we include all expenses) rather than positive geared. Also, how much of the expenses can we claim from a cashflow positive property? Many thanks

Hiya

Any reason why you're only focusing on CF+ deals?

There's nothing wrong with this approach but I personally wouldn't dismiss a potential deal because it wasn't CF

There are so many other factors that could make a property a good investment such as potential capital growth, renovation potential or something more creative such as a sub-division or small development.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of suzbatssuzbats
    @suzbats

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose we are focusing on CF because we want to make a positive outcome in the quickest amount of time. We are already leasing out our family home using negative gearing.

We are now looking at regional areas in VIC for positive CF, places like Corio or even Ballarat.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.